“The Best Ravioli I have ever eaten”

La Sosta di Pio VII
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am surprised that this restaurant gets any bad reviews. I have now visited three times on two separate trips to Tuscany. This late trip (July 2014) saw us going with our friends on a Tuesday night and then returning with only our family (myself, husband and two daughters) on Friday night. We went back especially for the ravioli-the best I have ever had. When we were there with our friends we had a tasting menu that was outstanding and coordinated by the very thoughtful and friendly waiter. Everything was fantastic and he was nice enough to amend the menu a bit for the children that were with us that didn't have a pallet for 'wild boar in mint sauce'. The ambiance is authentic Italy...lots of food, loud, music, joy; everything you would want from a restaurant experience. I don't understand the people that say they hate Americans? We had the same waiter on Tuesday and again on Friday and he remembered us and was nothing but pleasant. When there was a delay in our grilled meats course, four different people apologized for the delay and were truly sorry for making our experience less than perfect. We said we had no where else to be and didn't mind but, at the end of the meal, they had taken away a portion of the bill for our trouble. I am only sorry that we had too much antipasta, pasta, and meats that we didn't leave room for dessert. If you are in Tuscany, this restaurant is definitely worth your while, just make sure you get a reservation because even the locals want a table here.

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

On the road between Tavarnella and Poggibonsi, this nice osteria has a good outdoor seating area (in summer), though smoking being permitted there somewhat ruins the dining experience.

The mixed antipasti is very good, and for those who like liver or tongue, there are excellent expressions of those dishes in the antipasti.

The primi (pastas) were some less flavorful; a risotto with vegetables was bland, even with added cheese. The gnocchi with rabbit was ok, but beware small bones still in the sauce.

A good wine list (all local) accompanies.

Good, but not (IMHO) great food.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Am a little delayed in writing this report, am astounded at the bad reviews since I visited early July. Customer service was very attentive, menu explained, ambiance very good in the charming outside area, food flavours superb. I went with a friend who lives nearby and it is one of their favourite restaurants. That said the service we received was the same for all guests, not because my friend visits often. I would certainly recommend the restaurant to anybody visiting this part of Tuscany, you would not be disappointed. As for portion size, no complaints, enjoy the culinary skills you are offered, if you want volumes on your plate go to a bland chain !!!! Cuisine created by real skilled artists it is and may it continue. Thank you for a lovely meal and very enjoyable evening.

2  Thank Ann B
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was one of our least favorite restaurants during the trip. The waiters were ok and the food was average. The wild boar was tough and the chicken tasted good but the portion was really tiny and there seemed to be more bones than meat.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We went to dinner for my husbands birthday. What a mistake! The waiter was rude (I believe he was a hater of Americans) and I think the cook was a chain smoker. The place was cute but wreaked of smoke! Food was bad and portions very small! Fellow Americans stay clear of this one!!

2  Thank Cindy R