“Rustic but wonderful”

La Sosta di Pio VII
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Went our first night in Tuscany, and it turned out to be the best. Recommended by a local as the best place in 50 miles, and after a week here we would agree. The food was good, and very Tuscan, although not over-the-top gourmet. It is the atmosphere that was perfect. Small room, very local feel. The waiters look like bikers (but very competent and attentive; mama seems to be the cook). Menu is reasonably small, but very good. Halfway to Barberino, this place is not special for location, but for a real feel of Tuscany, don't miss it. (Very good value too)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed May 8, 2012

We keep going back for a reason : Super fresh food, great service and a nice atmosphere outside. (We never even saw what the place looks like inside). I like the limited menu - - this means that they focus on doing just a few local specialties well. The daily special of truffle gnocci was excellent. Decent wine selection.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were re ommendedto eat here and were not disappointed - we even returned for our last evening in Tuscany since the food is so authentic. We both had different things at each visit and were not disappointed with our choices- my Osso b'ucco was excellent and the recommended wine a perfect partner. We both enjoyed the roast potatoes and fennel and would return if ever in the area. Be sure to book on a Friday/ weekend since the limited inside seating quickly fills up.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Delicious typical Tuscany cuisine! We decided to stop here based on great reviews, and we were really happy with delicious food and friendly service. Definitely worth visiting!

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Being a Brazilian, I have to confess I am used to dealing with tardiness and slow service. Not that I like it, but I'm also not a big fan of the american style of waiting, for example, where even before you ask for the check, a smiling waiter comes with a downwards-faced folded piece of paper and gives you that inevitable "whenever you're ready" spiel. But the clock definitely ticks to different drumbeat at La Sosta di Pio VII, in Barberino Val D'Elsa. After emphatic recommendation from the manager of Castello di Fulignano, where I stayed in June 2011, the whole family, in-laws in tow, went for an early dinner in this lovely roadside restaurante pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The owner Roberto welcomed us with open arms after hearing who had sent us, and we had a huge Bistecca Fiorentina which kept us busy for a long period of time. But I happened to be with my then 2 year-old son, a highly energetic boy, and the wait for the check proved to be much longer than manageable, considering that after one hour and fifteen minutes all possible entertainment for him had been exausted. Nicely as I could, I went inside to ask for the check two or three times, and this apparently was taken as the worst of insults. Having kissed the owner's wife might have been more forgiveable, I suppose. Back at the Agriturismo where I was staying, the manager explained to us that locals usually take it very easy after dessert, taking between one to two hours savouring their grappas. That's why the waiters don't even bother sending you the check before a whole Formula One GP can be raced. But please don't get me wrong: the restaurant is excellent, service was good and staff was very kind - until the moment I dared to ask to pay within one hour and 15 minutes of having asked for the check. That aside, a lovely experience and one to recommend.