“Richly deserves its number one rating”

Hotel Palazzo Failla
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Modica
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Going slightly off season we got a very good rate on this charming and unique hotel. The owners daughter was running reception during our stay and was welcoming, delightful and informative. She gave us a complete virtual tour annotating a map for us as she did so and really should be running an academy for hotel staff. The breakfast was the best yet on our tour and we got restaurant recommendations to suit our tastes and our pockets.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We liked the hotel very much. The room was beautifuly furnished, very comfortable, very quiet and very large. Everything looked new and well kept. It was in the annex building, which has larger rooms. The staff at the reception were exceptionally nice and helpful. The location is good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We loved the Palazzo Failla from the moment we arrived, although with a car, that was somewhat challenging in the rain and fog at night. The receptionist was kind enough to show us three available rooms in the price range we had requested. We chose a room in the Dependance, listed as Executive Deluxe on the website. The room, amenities, service were all superb! We had loads of room to move around and have our travel gear hidden, and the bed was the very best of our 3-week trip. We enjoyed the breakfasts, but the highlights were the wonderful dinners at La Locanda del Colonnello. Oh, my! I have photos of every course and wish I could go back right now. While there, we were lucky enough to be right above the restaurant, so we could there without getting drenched. An amazing stay!

Room Tip: Room 112D is lovely! It may be next to the room with the hot tub, and though we saw people coming a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went for a romantic weekend for valentines and for my bday, it was our 2nd stay at this hotel so we were looking forward for this stay since we knew what to expect. It was also our second time booking the relax room (their best room in the hotel with a Jacuzzi), but how different this was to our first stay.
On arrival, we were hardly greeted by the reception staff; I had pre-ordered with the hotel via e-mail a valentines chocolate cake and some flowers to be found in the room for my wife. Whilst waiting for the room to be ready, the hotel agreed for us to take breakfast; and whilst taking breakfast i noticed that the hotel staff were arranging in front of my eyes the surprises to be put in the room so my wife noticed straight away that there was something going on, so much for surprising her.
When we arrived in the room, the room was clean so can’t fault them there, but the cake was not the one that we ordered. I complained straight away since my wife only likes chocolate & i paid for a chocolate cake, and the receptionist was nice enough to come to my room and started saying that the cake WAS chocolate which it wasn;t and started even blaming me and then just the left the room remarking that she would speak to the baker. The day after i went to reception since i had heard nothing from reception and Mrs.Failla said that they had not understood me well (i sent around 5 emails to request and to confirm a chocolate cake!)and that i didn’t have to pay for the cake. Then she went on saying that she had spent extra from her own pocket to make me a better cake and better flowers (for which i had agreed the price prior to arriving). This is not the point, if a client requests a chocolate cake you don’t come up with another cake forcing him to accept it because it costs more no? And tell him that the flowers brought were more expensive than the ones ordered?!I ordered two specific items for a personal reason, and I expect those, and will pay for those.
The room as i said previously was very nice so i cannot fault it at all apart from when i asked the maid or reception for some amenities like more towels they were very rude and always sighed for my requests on the phone or even in my face.
On the day of my bday i had prebooked with the hotel a taxi to take us to Vittoria for a great wine tasting at COS winemaker and had agreed a price of 80 euros for both us both ways which was ok. The problem was, that when we came to board the taxi we went to reception and Mrs.Failla was with the taxi driver and she told us that now the price was only for 30 mins and if we had to stay extra the price was different. We had asked the hotel to arrange the whole trip for us! They knew how long it would take, and obviously we were not going for a 40 min ride in a taxi for just 30 mins wine tasting! What do you do you down the wine!?! This ‘misunderstanding’ also happened last year, causing embarrassment, frustration and uneasiness with the taxi driver. We were not happy about this. Same thing had happened last year when we booked a taxi for another wine tasting (Planeta winery) with P.Failla- when we arrived at the place the taxi driver said that hotel did not tell him he had to wait for us (you go for a wine tasting, arranged by the hotel, and the taxi driver doesn’t know..oh well), so he left us stranded there and the organizer of the wine event had to take us back to the hotel.
Finally, on our final day (check out), i went to the reception to pay for accommodation and extras and the receptionist Manuela charged me by mistake the cake, and when i told her that Mrs.Failla had removed the charge she told me in my face that my booking was very complicated and was a problem. (please note Dr and Mrs Failla were not there, we noticed a BIG difference in service when the owners were there)...Thank you for welcoming returning guests, and thank you for appreciating people who pay for extras in the room and for trying to be romantic with their wives! This was very rude of her, and when we left not even thank you, bye or see you again. Why on earth is it the customer’s fault to try to do some romantic surprises vs payment for my wife, is that too much to ask the No1 hotel in Modica?
Finally, i would like to comment that on both occasions their bar was never open in the evenings - so there is nothing to do in Modica Alta after 7pm, and on both occasions the hotel never gave the free modica tour which is advertised on their website and Mr.Failla never gave us a lift to or from modica bassa (as stated by other reviewers). All in all, i will not be returning to this hotel in the near future, not for the room or the breakfast which were both very good but for the bad service received in general.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jamaica29
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel is an experience not to be missed. The atmosphere cannot be given a price. Breakfast was a delight...from the immaculate white linen to authentic Sicilian ricotta and only the best quality of local foods. Nothing mass produced. A gastronomic experience! all set to the ambience of classical music, polished silver and the quality and care of times past. The owner and his wife take great care to ensure that you are welcomed and given only 5 star service. The ownder explained to me that he wants to provide the rare experience of staying in a real Sicilian Palazzo. He succeeds. The experience takes on a new depth when you understand that the hotel used to be his personal home. The restaurant itself (Michelin rated) used to be the garage. I stayed in the Dependance, the Superior rose room. Everything, from the decor to the facilities to staff service and courtesy, was of the highest standard and could not be faulted. A wonderful experience!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at this magnificent hotel for a week in February. Whilst we were a little surprised that we were unable to get a coffee at 9pm when we arrived, this was soon forgotten given our stunning room, exceptional breakfasts and warmth of the staff. We were amazed at the breakfasts, cheeses, hams, delicious ripe tomatoes and that was just for starters. The freshly squeezed orange juice, array of breads and pastries could not be equalled. My partner thoroughly enjoyed the gateaux too.
We were also impressed with the chamber maid and loved having our bed turned down every night. The chocolates left on the bed were most welcome.
Unfortunately we were not blessed with very good weather but our room was so luxurious and the cakes and coffee in the cafe so good thatwe didn't care.
The owner kindly dropped us at the bus station on our last day and also returned with my partner's coat that he had left in the room.
Our special thanks goes to two of the receptionists who looked up the times of buses trains and taxis.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and the traffic was a little noisy but we didn't care as the room was...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

It was like staying in a palace! The painted ceilings are truly magnificent. The staff were very helpful, and the service could not be faulted. All at an affordable price, out of season. Only negative comments (and I feel guilty about criticising, as everything else was so good) are that the bed was a bit too firm, and that the heating system was noisy. Heating is necessary in January, and with the high ceilings the rooms are difficult to heat. I had to turn the thermostat down so the noise didn't go on all night, but then it was freezing in the room! But all in all, highly recommended, and the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cornish_cream_tea
Also consider these accommodations in or near Modica
Modica Palace Hotel
Torre Del Sud Hotel
Torre Del Sud Hotel
#3 of 18 in Modica
San Giorgio Palace Hotel

Been to Hotel Palazzo Failla? Share your experiences!