Hotel Palazzo Failla
$155
$137
Torre Del Sud Hotel(Modica)(Great Value!)
$103
$106
$94
$77
  • Room Service
Hotel Principe d'Aragona(Modica)(Great Value!)
$106
$99
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshigh ceilingsupper partthe main hotelthe hotel's restaurantcakeswine barold worldfamily homeantique furniturehotel ownerfavorite hotelthe blue roomlovely hoteloutstanding servicejunior suitemodern conveniencespainted ceiling
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We only had one night in Modica but this was a great choice of hotel. It was in an old grand mansion house with high celings and lovely period decor. It is a charming hotel and the owners and staff were delightful. They have both a Michelin star restaurant and a smart locanda. We opted for the locanda so we could have more traditional food. It was a great choice. An excellent restaurant - possibly one of the best from our 8 days in Sicily. Sensational food, very interesting options, great wine list and really attentive staff. Also not far to walk home. The only disappointment from the whole experience was the noise overnight. Our room was above the street and there was a group of rowdy people in the cafe direclty below until the early hours. Then the rubbish trucks started and the cars racing over the cobblestones. Not a good nights sleep which was such a shame as everything else was pretty idyllic.

Room Tip: Try to not have a room on the first floor above the cafe!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonRoya
Reviewed October 1, 2012

During the trip planning phase we were stuck between basing in Ragusa Ibla or Modica. Several contributors to the Sicily forum had stressed that Modica was a place where one could stay and experience true, day-to-day life while being surrounded by the spectacular Baroque architecture of the southeast. We decided on Modica, finally, and also elected to rely on hotels and taxis for transportation, as we didn't want to deal with the hassles of driving and parking. We arranged for a transfer from the Catania Airport to the hotel, and were thrilled that it was Mr. Failla himself who picked us up immediately on arrival!

Mr. Failla is a gracious gentleman and very helpful host. He provided us with the orientation we needed in order to feel grounded and secure in our new home for several days. He is one of those people one meets while traveling who leaves a lasting, favorable impression. We will be forever grateful to him for providing us with a lovely introduction to charms of Sicily.

The hotel is truly of the old school, almost reminiscent of the old Sherry-Netherland in New York or the Connaught in London from decades past. Although not quite as grand or luxurious in scale it is elegant and comfortable in a way that resonates with the traveling cognoscenti.

We had a large suite with a very tall, elaborately-painted ceiling and beautifully tiled floor. The bed was firm - very firm - so be prepared for that; fortunately, that is how we like it. The bath was small but adequate. Our only complaint was a bad odor that wafted from the bath every now and then, which was remedied by closing the door. Air conditioning worked well, and lighting was well-placed. We had two tiny balconies which overlooked city life from the second story. I particularly enjoyed watching the school children play while waiting for the school bus. There is a lot of activity here - it seems as if one is in a major hub of Modica Alta, but that made it all the more interesting. There was a fair amount of street noise, which dissipated as evening turned into night. All in all, it was a comfortable space. Not luxurious in the way of a Ritz-Carlton or Aman hotel, but very nice nonetheless, conveying a true sense of place.

Breakfast was elaborate and very satisfying. In addition to what one would expect at a hotel of this caliber, there were at least three cakes presented on the buffet table every morning representing the very best the local pasticceria could produce. One cake - a cream-filled gateau with strawberries and pistachios, covered with creme Chantilly - will remain in my memory forever.

Of course, the staff is really what makes all the difference. Manuela, Paola, and Laura at the front desk did everything they could to make our experience satisfying and enjoyable. And Valerio, who served in a number of capacities, embodied competence and friendliness while exuding a particularly appealing swagger.

Modica can be difficult to manage if one has problems with walking. The hotel is in the upper town, and some of the sights and stores are in the lower town. A series of stairs goes all the way from bottom to top, but we actually enjoyed climbing these. One day, while visiting the lower town (Modica Bassa) I heard the sound of trumpets playing the "Triumphal March" from "Aida." When I investigated its source, I found three high school boys practicing the piece while pointing their trumpets out the street-level window of their school. They were actually very good, and played in tune. It was a moment I will always cherish; I could not have imagined a more serendipitous event for the beginning of our trip.

The hotel arranged a number of excursions for us. Mr. Failla drove us to some of the places; on the day we visited Ragusa Ibla, he substituted a local taxi driver who did a great job. We had no worries, whatsoever. It was easy to be a guest of the hotel. That's the way it should be, right? They get it. They know what to do and how to execute it in a way that makes you feel like a cherished guest. (Of note is that we were two men traveling together, and we were always made to feel welcome and comfortable. I am particularly grateful for that.)

This hotel is in my top-ten of all time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExpertTripPlanner
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights during June 2012. We were allocated a splendid room on the first floor - the Blue Room.This overlooks the side street which is a bit noisy whether from boy racers or early morning bin collections.

The staff were welcoming, the room was fairly comfortable, although the added on air conditioning unit was a bit of a let down.

Breakfasts were excellent. A high spot of our stay was dining in the Gazza Ladra Restaurant, where we enjoyed very high grade service, exemplary and imaginative cuisine and thoughtful assistance with menu selections, particularly as my wife preferred only a smallmeal rather than go through the entire menu.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MGPAman
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Last autumn my wife and I stayed 3 nights at this superb hotel in delightful Modica. We then travelled to Taormina and realised we had made a bad mistake and should have stayed at Palazzo Failla and Modica instead.
We still remember with fondness the quality of this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

In the early 1960s I stayed in the Hotel Anglo-Americano in Rome. It was my dream of Europe. I returned a decade later and found that its high-celinged rooms, the marble side tables, the writing room, the attentive, friendly staff had all been replaced by a blandly efficient standard hotel. The European comfort and charm had all gone, ironed away by efficiency and cost-accounting. I found them again in Modica. How can they do it? The rooms, the restuarant and Locanda, the attentive and friendly staff were wonderful, and reminded me of a standard of civilized comfort which I had come to believe were either only a receding memory or had at a price that only mega-tycoons could afford. This hotel is reason in itself for visiting Modica!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends