“Best value”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We went here on the recommendation of our B & B host. We were not disappointed. The food was simply amazing! We had wine, shared tomato salad, pasta, a meat dish, and the whole bill was 30.00. The food was so tasty. There were no prices on the menu so we were guessing and our guess was around 80.00 so we were amazed. Would highy recommend

Write a ReviewReviews (2,998)

Reviewed October 3, 2012

food was terrible,cold and ingredients were not fresh.the service was worst,we waited 1 hour or more to have some pasta and a soup that was cold!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were recommended here to try the local food, but ultimately came away disappointed.

Although we are tourists, we prefer to find more "local" places... but had grown tired of the many pizza places in Modica and needed to try other traditional food.

The setting is fine, with the outdoor tables. They have multilingual menu's with lots of pictures that show they are very busy with tourists trying the food, and to be fair this is probably the best way for them to keep service flowing without getting slowed down by having to explain each item on the menu.

Service was efficient, but without feeling and we could only feel like we were being processed rather than welcomed... which is why we prefer to find less "tourist" places. They are certainly up to date, using handheld PC's to take the orders.

Food was tasty and gave us a chance to sample some of the local selected meat dishes (at last no pizza!!). Sadly as we found on occasion in Modica.. the house red wine was served cold, we much prefer it at room temperature.. in our experience this is only done to mask the taste of a poor wine.. so unless we have failed to pick up on a local service style.. we had to send it back and the waiter swapped it for a smaller size bottle but failed to update the receipt, so we had a brief complaint on receipt of the bill but it was sorted quickly and without argument.

I can see why this place is busy, and a mecca for visitors to Modica and Sicily.. but it just wasnt the style of restaurant we look for.

1  Thank Inayellowshirt
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wonderful food, really good service and worth a visit to see, hear, smell, taste and enjoy the complimentary merging of the senses in this authentic and well-established (you will see why) restaurant.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just dined here tonight and I felt compelled to write a review (which I do not often do) because this restaurant seems to be commonly reccomended .

In retrospect the menu should have set the expectations. All the dishes are prepared in advance (soups, stews etc). Even the appetizer "Scales" well as it is a scoop of this and a scoop of that. In the end this means (I am confident in saying this) that nothing is cooked to order....not a good sign. And I really feel like I am not being a food snob here. You can be rustic, and simple, and basic and still be sensational. Fresh ingredients, and good execution (cooking something to order certainly helps) make simple dishes out of this world and in my opinion those characteristics generally define sicilian cuisine.

I could describe the shortcomings of every dish we had but instead would like to mention 2 things which were odd to me.

The first is the antipasto. On one plate were a few small portions of various things. I dont know what they all were as our waitress did not tell us and I couldnt tell on some of them...but on the other plate was a bowl of olives, a bowl of caponata, some marinated eggplant and....a bowl with a hard boiled egg in it (in the shell). I know some people like hard boiled eggs and I know they are used in sicilian cooking but I was a little surprised to see that as one of the 4 items which are so authentically sicilian in nature that they justified making the antipasto not just one but two plates! So please let me know if the egg is some sicilian tradition as I am genuinely interested in learning that...if it is, do they typically serve it in a restaurant with the shell on? That seemed strange to me and I did not feel like peeling an egg at the table so we just left it.

The other food specific oddity was the bread. No way this was the same bread they normally serve. It was AMAZINGLY dense and dry. Not in the way rustic old style sicilian bread from the antico panificio is dense and tough...this was like "someone accidentally doubled the flour in the recipe" dense and dry. Maybe it wasnt let rise first? My girlfriend thought the bread was like "paste". And again, if this is typical "good" bread and what I have described sounds like what you would expect then let me know as I would be interested in learning that and I will retract any criticism of it.

The service was awful and im pretty sure they were trying to "upsell" us on the wine. One example of the service was:
We ordered an appetizer (the only one) and took some time looking over the menus before ordering our 1st and 2nd courses. She never came back to take our order for the meals, and she knew we were going to order because we continued looking through the menus (and also because we told her we would be ordering meals...in english as she insisted on speaking english for some reason). So I had to flag her down to give her my order. When I did she didnt write anything down and started walking away once I had ordered before asking my girlfriend what she wanted, and then when we stopped her and said my girlfriend wanted to order she was annoyed to have to get her note pad.

For the wine..we asked for one wine (happened to be 12 euro...we didnt want anything expensive but picked this one at random, not just because of the price) the waitress suggested an alternative (same price) so we said sure lets try it. Turns out they didnt have that wine so she suggested another of the same type which was 30+ euro. I said we would stick with our original choice...then she came back and said they didnt have that one either and suggested a 28 euro wine. I said I wanted something for 12 euro (they have a lot on the menu at that price and at this point I was trying to find out if this was some sort of scheme or not) and she suggested wine that was 16 euro. Maybe I was reading too much into this..draw your own conclusions. In the end we wound up passing on the wine because we were uncomfortable with our interactions.

Ultimately this was supposed to be a "tipico" sicilian restaurant. "Typically" in sicily I am at a loss for words when it comes ot how amazing the simple dishes are...everything here was underwhelming. Combing the "underwhelming"/disappointing food with poor service (something I never experience in Sicily) a waitress who insisted on speaking english, and (I knew this going in so its not seriously a criticism) a menu written in 5 languages and this felt anything but "tipico" to me.

2  Thank RobertGoulet