“Bellissimo”

Ristorante La Gazza Ladra
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Inside Palazzo Failla Hotel, one of the most interesting late-Baroque jewels of the area, you'll meet the sophisticated charm and elegance of the restaurant La Gazza Ladra. The intimate, essentially elegant black and white 'salotto' was inspired by the colours of the magpie, the bird from which the restaurant derives its name. With the gentle but genuine touch of the chef David Tamburini guests are taken to an unexpected Sicily, both ancient and modern at once, by meals made up of special ingredients fuelled by fascination. In summertime, the dinner is served in the quiet and private lemon garden, where the guests can relish the scents and the cool evening breeze.
Reviewed July 15, 2011

A spectacular experience! We were truly impressed With every aspect of this fantastic gem! Decor of restaurant is warm & inviting-alfresco dining is quant & charming. The wait staff is lovely & accommodating. Chief Oraparo has a natural gifted talent! He has a unique flair to prepare his food so that every dish will explode in your mouth with flavor. We of course had to ask to meet with him. He came right to our table & explained to us that he is inspired by the local aromas, ingredients & flavors. He certainly does do this with pure perfection! This remarkable gem of a restaurant should not be missed by anyone visiting Sicily!
His raviolis and brochette must not be missed!!!!!!

1  Thank MamaNewcanaan

Reviewed April 13, 2011

La Gazza Ladra in Modica was the highlight of our Sicilian dining--and we had much good food in Sicily. The cuisine is creative and very satisfying. The service is refined yet relaxed, such a warm and professional staff. A lovely room, a great restaurant and a very talented chef. I wish I were having dinner there tonight!

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Sure, not everyone likes this kind of Michelin star restaurants. For my part, I enjoy them from time to time. And for me, this one was one of the best elegant dining restaurants ever.
You sit in a nice secluded backyard, and there is ample space, so that you have more than enough privacy.
We had the traditional menu, which consisted of about 6 courses. The theme was: traditional Sicilian specialties, but interpreted in the chefs own way. It was absolutely exceptional. Among other things, we had bruschetta with a special Sicilian flour, a special sort of tuna, and cannoli which a special extremely thin crust.
What we liked most, was the detailed explanation of all the courses and the ingredients by the nice waiter. He explained all plates in great detail, which makes you enjoy the various tastes even more.
Don't miss it – it is not cheap, but you will remember forever. And such memories are priceless.

Reviewed July 10, 2010

We found the service attentive and courteous, and the food (menu tradizione) met our expectations. We would go back.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

This restaurant is a little gem in the gem that is the city of Modica. If you are in Modica you cannot miss it.
Decor- All in white, brightly lighted, spacious and welcoming.
Service- Great attentive service, with good recommendation on local wine.
Food- My girlfriend and I had the two different tasting menus: la tradizione and la gazza ladra. The former by far the best tasting menu we had in Sicily. An explosion of flavor, I was so jealous I did not order it. It has a pasta dish called "Spaghetti con spremuta di Sicilia" easily the greatest pasta I had in Italy. While my tasting menu was good with I strongly recommend la tradizione.
Bottom line- When in Modica, do not miss La Gazza Ladra.

1  Thank DiBruccolino