“Very nice hotel, but in a slightly strange place”
Review of Tartheshotel

Tartheshotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Guspini
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have no idea why they decided to build a hotel in Guspini. Guspini is a town with virtually nothing to recommend it, other than it's in a fairly dramatic setting with surrounding mountains. True, there are allegedly some interesting basaltic columns, but you have to walk through a piece of wasteland with a neo-brutalist graffiti-ridden crack-house to get there, so we didn't bother. There are a couple of fairly well-stocked agricultural supplies outlets and plenty of places to buy 1970s style polyester fashions. It's the sort of place you only go to visit if your auntie lives there.

However, the Tarthesh is a little way out of town (about a twenty-minute walk - but don't bother - away) and conveniently located next to the Lidl (the hotel's room info pack makes it clear they have a strict no-buying-anything-from-the-Lidl-and-eating-it-in-your-room policy which we of course ignored by buying two litres of water and a packet of crisps).

Don't let the Lidl put you off - the hotel is in a reasonably tidy residential area. and in fact is very pleasantly situated in nicely tended grounds. It's also nice to know that extremely keenly priced jars of low-quality bratwurst are available so close by.

We went for a senior suite. I'm not sure if the extra was worth it, as it's really only one room with with a long internal corridor with fitted wardrobes, and a large bathroom leading to a jacuzzi (a real one). The view was over the car park and the Lidl.

Having said that, it was a very pleasant room. It was kept very clean, and the bed was supremely comfortable. It was in the main hotel block. It may well be worth investigating the garden rooms as they look very nice as well and I think that the junior suites actually have a proper sitting room, instead of the largely pointless jacuzzi.

We ate in the hotel both nights we were there, and the food was excellent, as was the service. We were recommended some very pleasant Sardinian wine, and they were happy to keep the bottle for us to bring out the subsequent night. Breakfast is great, as long as you can avoid the huge flapping sheets which make half of the tables in the breakfast terrace unusable in anything over a very light wind.

The pool is lovely. It's modern with one end that slopes into the water like a fake beach. It was quite magical to see the swallows swooping down over the water to pick off insects (which incidentally never bothered us) or scoop up some water to drink.

It would have been nice if the bar had been open, but occasionally a staff member would come out to the pool to take drinks orders.

The service was a little idiosyncratic, but generally fairly enthusiastic. The web-site is a bit optimistic. For example, the restaurant is described as being open for lunch, but it wasn't on either of the two days were there (a Sunday and Monday - but in July, so it should have been high season), although they were happy to rustle up a very tasty panino for me (and a nice tuna salad for Lucy). I couldn't for the life of me get the Wifi to work (despite rebooting the router) and the other guests were having problems as well. There was no internet access in our room, despite it being advertised. I was trying to get away from work, so this was not disastrous, but it it may be more of an issue for others!

As a place to slob out by the pool for a couple of days, or to use as a base to explore the pretty (if not gobsmacking) countryside, it's highly recommended. The food, the service and pool are the outstanding features. But I still can't for the life of me figure out what it's doing there.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a senior suite, unless you want a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Andrew K

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is a hidden gem in a small Sardinian town. The visionaries of this hotel put in much thought and effort into creating a classy retreat. We used this hotel as a base for hitting up the West shore beaches in Sardinia and were blown away by the service and set up. The food is excellent (ask for the Bresaola - I will be serving it at my dinners back in the USA). Wait staff is very knowledgeable of the region and of the food and will go out of their way to accomodate your requests.

We had a freak incident where one of the guests accidentally locked an entry foyer door - the response of the front desk staff was about as best as one could ask for. They apologized, offered us free coffee and dessert while we waited, procured the services of a local locksmith late into the night and made sure we were comfortable every step of the way. Five stars!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunilDeshpande
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel is in a normal small town, and is therefore totally unexpected. It is quiet and refined and totally classy. Our room (actually a living room plus bedroom plus bathroom) was beautiful and spacious and very tastefully decorated. Dinner and breakfast were both served in the open air. And the pre dinner wine tasting session downstairs was really wonderful. The service too was excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in Levante 3 on the first floor. We saw other rooms and they all looked really good!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simon F
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have just come back from Tarthes hotel in Guspini. I stayed there with my husband for 3 days during a week holiday in south Sardinia.
The hotel is beautiful, very stylish, with a large garden and wonderful swimming pool. I was impressed with how clean, well kept and maintained both the gardens/swimmingpool/hotel inside and the rooms were.
We stayed in a classic room. The room was surprisingly spacious, with a large bathroom and great shower. We stayed in Aquadulci hotel in the south later and although the hotel was beautiful and in a great location,the classic room was very small with a tiny shower.
The staff couldn't be more helpful, polite and informative. Nothing was a problem for them. They were also very keen to know our opinion of the hotel and I could tell that they take their customer service very seriously. They were professional and friendly.
The only issue is the location. If you are after off the beaten track this hotel is in the right place. This is the real Sardinia. If you want peace and quiet and relaxing by the pool, this hotel is lovely ( I have been there in June and I don't know if in July and August it is more lively).
On the downside, if you want to explore you need a car and if you want to find a good restaurant outside the hotel, you will find it very difficult.
The closed beach, Pistis, is 20 minutes away and the road is good. The best beach for me was Piscinas, in a wonderful setting surrounded by sand dunes. It is 40 minutes away.There is a hotel, Le Dune, by the beach. You can have lunch/drinks there and spend the day in the beach. We had very nice grilled fresh fish at reasonable prices and they were very friendly.
If you don't mind driving further, Oristano is great. Don't forget to visit Tharros and Cabras! It is a beautiful area worth exploring and very authentic.
The area around Montevecchio, Gonosfanadiga and Villacidro are good options close by for a drive. There is a nice park for a walk outside Gonosfanadiga, Perde Pibera, good for a walk if you want to stay away from the sun. It is uphill though!
I would definitely go back to this hotel. I found it to be great value for money, stylish and they provide a great service.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ml00
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My husband and I have just come back from the Tartesh. I have read all of the reviews on this hotel and find it hard to believe any of the negative comments ! This hotel is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in !! Everything from the food to the room was just perfect. The staff were the friendliest and accommodating people i have ever met. Nothing was too much trouble. The owner of the hotel Senora Cavalli was a very lovely lady she even organised a birthday cake for me on my birthday ! II also had a massage which was so relaxing. We will be going back next year and taking our children with us. I am a travel agent and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any of my clients. I would like to say a special thank you to Senora Cavalli, Isabella, Chinsia, Roberto and all of the staff for making our holiday so much more than we could have ever asked for !!! xx

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DonnaK30
Reviewed July 23, 2010

The hotel is beautiful and the pool was absolutely wonderful. However, I did get slightly annoyed that small problems were never fixed - the telephone in our room was not mended and did not work the whole time (despite daily reminders to the reception staff); the lift did not work in our block; several of the pool umbrellas were broken. However, the staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. The rooms were very sparcely furnished, but were clean and well looked after. The hotel dining was unnecessarily pretentious - certainly my teenagers did not like what was on offer and the menu did not change the whole time we were there. Guspini is a very small, non-tourist place and you definitely need your own car to get around.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Holidayfan57
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I am writing this review at the lobby of the hotel after check-out, enjoying my farewell drink.
The hotel is a far away from central Cagliari but we preferred it that way as it was less crowed. It will be better if you hire a car though.

Service was exceptionally good at the hotel. We arrived at the hotel late due to problem with our car hire and it was already 10.30pm when we get there. The kitchen was already closed but they still tried their best to offer us some cold meat and some simple dishes and it was indeed delicious. We had 2 rooms, one family and one standard double. Both were spotlessly clean and the family room was very spacious with two double rooms and a seperate dinning room. Beds were very comfy.

The hotel has a nice swimming pool and we spent at least 3 hours there every day!
Believe me, you will be amazed by Tarthesh Hotel and I will definitely return if I ever visit Sardinia again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guspini
Sa Rocca Hotel & Resort
#3 of 40 in Olbia
El Faro Hotel
El Faro Hotel
#4 of 49 in Alghero

Been to Tartheshotel? Share your experiences!