“Worth going well out of your way for”
Review of Trattoria La Tana

Trattoria La Tana
Ranked #23 of 203 Restaurants in Martina Franca
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Canberra, Australia
“Worth going well out of your way for”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Seeing some other reviews nudged us towards choosing La Tana, very tired and weary after a day long drive. A drink in a bar saw us almost falling asleep while waiting, and as we staggered around the corner to find the trattoria we found that it was not open until 20:15 that night . . . . another half an hour to wait.

How worthwhile this turned out to be!

We opted first for the cheapest set price option; inconceivably priced at 18 euros, it included water, (piatto di tipita del nostro) a fabulous antipasti of specialties of the region including three types of cheeses, small olives, meat, the best home made bread and other delicacies; and then an option of either a fava broad bean puree with charcoal grilled peppers, or fresh orecchiette with tomato sauce. This was accompanied by a salad of crisp vegetable crudites.

A glass of house wine each, the best house wine tasted thus far in months of travelling, and we were then served desert of a delightful local cake. It was well past our bed time, and we declined coffee and toddled off to our hotel.

The atmosphere was delightful as well, with good linen, large glasses and good ice buckets and a nice touch of a small candle and cactus on each table. Service could not have been friendlier, and I was keen to return the following evening, where we sought to try the local lamb, which was delicious, as well as the bean puree and revisit the antipasti platter which included some different items this night, as delightful as the first. A bottle of local Rose was great.

A nice little town, but "La Tana" is a real gem and worth travelling well out of your way for. Fantastic food at great prices. I only wish that this was my 'local'

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Flashduck

Brooklyn, New York
“As good as any 4 star restaurant in NYC”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

With a recommendation from a local cafe for a typical, good trattoria within Martina Franca (and without a tourist menu) we stumbled upon La Tana - and I mean literally! You do have to look for it as the signage is not the best - face the entrance to Palazzo Ducale from the car park and it is to your left). We were amazed at the selection of appetizers that appeared one after the other when we opted to have the waitress choose the kitchen's best for the 3 of us - the eggplant parmesan was sublime, the rollatini to die for, and the incredible fresh mozzarella! Don't miss the fried zucchini flowers! We followed this with a risotto of raddicchio and cheese - and a huge salad. And of course topped everything off with a glass of lemoncello. I can't wait to return! And it was so affordable - what could be better?

• Visited June 2012
Newcastle
“Fantastic food and service!”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

What a find! La Tana had the best food that I ate in Puglia in two weeks – by a county mile. It blew me away! The space has a lovely ambience and the floor staff were exceptionally pleasant. It was full of locals, always a good sign. I was having some difficulty in translating the menu, so the English speaking chef came to my rescue.

After I listed my likes and dislikes, the chef suggested the piatto di tipita del nostro territorio (7 euro), followed by the ravioli of ricotta and scamorza with a tomato sauce (11 euro). A bowl of taralli and 7 slices of warm, house made bread were served straight away.

The first course was enormous and deliciously addictive – lightly battered fritters of zuccini, melanzane, cauliflower and ricotta rolled in pancetta; a warm olive and onion tart with light, crisp pastry; a dozen tiny green olives, three cheeses: buffalo mozzarella, and I think, another mozzarella and a sharp local cheese called veccino; two varieties of salumi, and a little rocket. To be honest, I ate almost everything and it was more than enough for a meal in itself.

The ravioli were to die for – flavoursome, light, perfectly al dente, again an extremely generous serving, and accompanied by a fresh crunchy salad of fennel, carrot, rocket and radish. I couldn’t do it justice.

And then there appeared a complementary plate of pistachio biscotti and toffee! It was all too much.

The bill, with two glasses of primitivo, mineral water and coperto, was 25.5 euro.

And the lovely chef popped out to make sure that I was happy – I was ecstatic!

I returned again for lunch the following day. Service was again warm and friendly. The antipasto was a must – again. This time the olives were replaced with a bowl of warm polpette (cheese and polenta I think) in tomato sauce.

I asked if veal and mushrooms was available; it wasn’t listed on the menu. After consulting with the chef – not a problem! Three thick slices of veal topped with funghi with a delicious sauce, and sprinkled with a little parsley. Without any doubt, this was the most tender, flavoursome, melt in the mouth veal I have ever tasted. Again, the serving was most generous and I was unable to finish everything.

The delightful head waitress insisted on providing a plate of almond biscotti and toffee.

The bill was 26.5 euro – ridiculously cheap for such quality food, which put every restaurant in which I dined in other locations to shame.

The chef is Nicola Colucci (I think). The address is Via Mascagni 2/4/6.

This restaurant surely deserves to be ranked as no. 1 or 2 on Tripadvisor in Martina Franca.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Glynis031
martina franca
“Irishman likes this one”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Great food and wine, really exceptional. You will miss the best restaurant in Martina Franca if you do not go there.
I practically live in the place. I am an Irish ex-pat and I never want to go home with places like this available

Visited January 2012
2 Thank honest_traveller53
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We are at the end of a 3 week stay in Italy having stayed in Bologna and Marche on this visit this was was quite simply the best meal of our trip. Pasta, fish baked in salt (sublime) and the dessert were all exquisite.

• Visited August 2011