Hotel Palazzo del Corso
getaroom.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop restaurantrolls roycesmall poolbeautiful hotelwatch the sunsetturn down servicegrand suitetop floorold townfree parkingsmall hoteltwo floorsoutstanding servicelarge roomhigh seasonbreakfast is servedstar hotel
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this wonderful hotel for 16 nights over August into early September 2012 in a great room called Acquamarina. The staff were friendly and helpful and we cannot say enough about the terrace restaurant from the chef to the wait staff who added an extra touch of friendliness that made our stay very special. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Palazzo del Corso is an excellent small five star Italian hotel in a genuinely interesting Italian port. We loved them both and would recommend them both.

With just 14 rooms, outstanding service, huge rooms and a beautiful rooftop terrace the hotel often felt like our private residence. Mario in particular was a brilliant member of their team

Our room was a Grand Suite on two floors. Created from a galleried high ceiling room our rooms had space and character and are half the price of similar rooms in northern Italy. Bathrooms and storage on both floors. The bedroom was subdued, the bed comfortable and huge. The shower cubicle quite small but how much time do you spend there?

Fresh sweet snacks were served each day in the room and in the reception lounge and rooftop area free fresh water and snacks were available all day. Staff were helpful and attentive and always around when needed, great when the hotel is so small.

Breakfast and evening meals are served on the rooftop which overlooks the port. Selection and quality always spot on. For the evening if you wanted something different the chef would help. Restaurant quite pricy but great value.

Gallipoli is largely undiscovered by the Brits and does not appear in any holiday brochures so get there soon before it’s ruined. It is a typical popular Italian resort it does feel quite poor with empty buildings and damaged pavings but there are signs of development and we felt very safe. It is also a true port with working fishing boats with an attractive old town thriving fish market and modern shopping area and loads of churches!. Many restaurants have English menus so it’s easy to be a visitor. Shellfish and Squid are the mainstay of the restaurants; it’s the freshest I’ve ever tasted. Pasta is plentiful and the restaurants all seemed alert to helping customers enjoy their meal. Tourist menus from 15 Euros for 3 courses and wine were great value.

The only real downside with the town was the litter. Chewing gum on the pavements and rubbish on the shoreline. Still I would say visit, stay at del Corso and enjoy

Room Tip: The balconies are quite small but you can sit out. The ones facing the rear of the hotel are quite and sunny but the view may be a bit less interesting. We used the rooftop area
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve from Bristol
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I asked at a cafe where a decent hotel was....I was pointed to the Hotel del Corso. The cost 180 euros a night gets you a spacious room with nice marble floor , comfy bed, modern decor, well functioning shower, even if a tad small, its a curvy corner one. Really helpful and friendly reception staff who even drove me to the bus stop for free on Sunday when I left. The roof pool was just for dipping in and a bit of a splash, but divine, sunbaking on the roof , lovely, modern clean space. The breakfast was a little on the meagre side, but all in all it was a safe , friendly and comfortable hotel. One thing I noticed about Gallipoli was the friendliness of its local people. Everyone was helpful , and curteous, the old ladies sitting outside their doors in the evening greeting passers by, I hopped into a crowded church and they all shuffled down the pew to fit me in even sharing a song book with me. People chatted to me on the beach , in the cafes.... this has to be the friendliest town in Italy, just thought I'd let you know folks. It is so nice when you go somewhere and people are really friendly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Saskiagrav
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My wife and I have booked one suite with sea view at the Palazzo del
Corso (5*L) in Gallipoli (280Eur x night) with two days notice.
When we arrived at reception in the morning even if it was not yet time
for checking in it was our intention to leave our luggage there, made
registration formalities and proceed in our Salento tour.
Everything has been arranged, except for one thing, the person in charge
told us that there was a misunderstanding and the reserved room was no
more available, it was available only one junior suite with no view at the
first floor, no longer the suite at the second floor with sea view.

I have complained since this is not the right way of behaving, being the
hotel rated as a 5*L they were supposed at least to inform by phone (they
had my mobile since the time of the reservation). And in such case
usually same rated hotels offer higher standard treatment for same reserved
booking fee and/or a excuse letter at least since it was their fault.

The room was nice and quite, cleaning standard was good.
Amenities were poor, no bathrobe available, only one shampoo and bathsoap, no conditioner, no comb, no teeth brushes, and only one small shower with malfunctioning mixer tap unable to properly regulate hot and cold water.

After we had a shower and out for dinner, evening time servant entered the room to arrange the same for the night (closing curtains, checking everything in order...), that's fine... but it is unacceptable they to fold the wet/used towels and mats in original position as unused, they were supposed to change or leave them... it would be better.

Above cannot be accepted for that rating.

Breakfast was nice, waitress were welcoming and considering the usual Italian style in breakfasts acceptable but not excellent....

Overall considering what Gallipoli can offer, it would not be bad if rated as 3*, perhaps they think that poster beds and plenty velvet and carpets are enough to cheat you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MaxSing
Reviewed July 31, 2010

we were offered a smelly room overlooking the parking lot. it is not in the old charming city. we left and stayed in there other hotel,palazzo mosco, which was also pretty awful and left after 1 night rather than 2 as planned

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple