“Disappointing”

Il Bastione
Ranked #41 of 270 Restaurants in Gallipoli
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant located overlooking the sea , offers indoor and outdoor terrace with a views on Gallipoli's bay.A sea area relax is available where guests can swim and having lunchhave lunch under the ombrella's
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had dinner at the restaurant last week and although the food was of a good standard (although portions are small) it was not matched by the service. The welcome was not very warm, we waited more than an hour for our orders to arrive and 1 side dish never arrived. We noticed that all others diners were Italian and appeared to be getting a much better and more efficient service. Some diners (who arrived after us) had finished 3 courses before our main meals arrived. Very expensive,there are better less stuffy restaurants so we probably would not go back.

1  Thank Reajazz

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had dinner here twice on 22 and 24 July 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and food. The open air terrace on the first floor with the view of the lighthouse in the distance is so romantic - gosh - even a yacht cruising by as the sun went down ... if I had a partner, it would have been perfect! So elegant with white tablecloths and candlelight.

I originally read about this place in the DK Eyewitness and thought it was closed on Sunday, but walked past and it was open - it happened to be the 3 day Patron Saint Fesitival period with 10,000 people squeezed into the town so perhaps that's why.

Both my meals were very good. I had excellent service from Tommaso. He was on par with any professional waiter in Rome, Milan or Sydney! I had involtini pesche spada (sword fish roulards with raisins EUR18) I loved this and had it twice. I had fresh tuna with balasamic (EUR18) also very good. I also had the straccatelli (??) pasta with mint, small prawns & clams. I was a small serve but really lovely - never had mint in a pasta dish and it was good. The local white wine by the glass was very good - slightly sweet as requested and not acidic at all! (my pet hate in wine). The wine list was huge including my favourite dessert wine the Moscato Pantelleria.

Gallipoli is an interesting place. I had in my mind I wanted to see the tip of the heel and test my Italian skills so I chose a more remote location for 1 week of my vacation. Honestly, I cant say I need to go back there again - such great potential but so much rubbish on the waterfront, it was a pity. I hope they form a Tourist Commission and work on that. It is the single one thing that would make all the difference to the city. The 2 good things were this restaurant and another, La Puritate. Apart from these 2 restaurants, some businesses in town are still a little rude to the "straniere" (foreigners) - they havent quite cottoned on that we have a lot of money to spend - which we in fact do want to spend - and I had a couple of nasty experiences at the Guidecca Restaurant, Armani and Max Mara. Hopefully this will improve in time. But as for Bastione, it is my favourite memory of Gallipoli.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We spent a month in Puglia and i was really looking forward to this place. It looked wonderful, the menu was mouth-watering and the setting was gorgeous with white table cloths and candles. After 3 weeks in Italy we wanted something a little more sophisticated and this place looked like it will deliver. We shared row sea-food platter; which was OK. Fresh but small and some of the nice things like red shrimp of Galipoli were missing. To follow, my husband had cherna pasta and i after asking for recommendations had a sword fish. Well the past was great (at €18 euro a plate it should have been mind blowing amazing) and my fish was dry and tiny!! I was really disappointed with the fish. When you seat by the sea and the fish market is two minutes away, to be served a tiny portion of swordfish that does not taste of much and cost €22 Euro is a bit sad. The atmosphere is great. Our bill with just one glass of wine and one glass of processo was €120 for two - i think the most expensive meal we had in Puglia. Not worth it, there are much better options around. You may need to find a pizza place after dinner

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Where is the nearest pizza joint... That's how you feel after dining at il bastione! The food is great, especially the plate of crudite' is fantastic, the view from the terrace is amazing, the service is a bit slow but ok... But the portions are small, small below every standards! Other than this, just go for it, it is a great place, pricey for gallipoli but you mainly pay for the view!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Very nice food, but not brilliant. Lovely main course, but very disappointed with over cooked tuna for anti pasti - did not expect posh restaurant to have an issue with searing tuna!