“Great hotel with fantastic views of the ocean”
Review of Hotel Leopold

and 1 more site!
Hotel Leopold
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Moneglia
Naestved, Denmark
“Great hotel with fantastic views of the ocean”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed 8 nights at Hotel Leopold mid august 2012. It is a family-owned hotel and what a family: at times it felt like being part of Fawlty Towers - but we loved it and found it very entertaining.

The view of the ocean from almost anywhere at the hotel is absolutely breathtaking - and makes up for the 10-15 minutes hilly walk to the center of Moneglia.

The hotel is very nice and clean and has a wonderful pool-area.
The beach 84 (!) steep steps below the hotel is sandy and has a nice restaurant.

We dined at the hotel one evening. Food was autentic but not too impressive (except for their lemon icecream!).
Breakfast was okay: the typical croissants, bread, cheese and meats but also with a lot of fruit and 7-8 different homemade cakes and cookies every morning - a couple of mornings even with an omelette too.

The hotel offer parking (6-10 euro a day) and has free wi-fi on the first two to three floors including the outdoor terrasse.
Sometimes they accept VISAcard - and sometimes the machine is broken...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Majse74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My husband and I spent three nights at the Hotel Leopold at the beginning of June and couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

First of all, we were extremely happy with our choice of Moneglia as a base from which to explore the Cinque Terre and Portofino areas. It’s a charming little town with reasonably priced restaurants (at least what qualifies as reasonable on the Ligurian Coast…) – and while it certainly caters for tourists, being located where it is, it is actually a “proper” little Italian town where people go about their daily business and tourists just blend in. Its train station is extremely handy for all popular destinations whether it’s going south to the Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence etc. or going north to Camogli/Portofino, Genoa and beyond.

The location of the Leopold in the little bay just before Moneglia is superb (although bear in mind if you are coming through the tunnel from Sestri Levante that you need to turn off right just before reaching Moneglia – if you miss the turn you might have to do a U-turn in Moneglia and possibly wait for the next green light for the tunnel which can take up to 20 minutes!) In any case, once you have parked your car at the hotel, it’s very easy to get round on foot (less than 10 minutes to the train station and the town centre) – although bear in mind that everything on the Ligurian coast is either up or downhill!

I had communicated with Lucia the owner via email and requested a room with sea-view. We got a corner room on the second floor with little balconies overlooking both the sea and the beautiful terrace and couldn’t have been happier. The room was not fancy but very clean and equipped with a digital TV, a large wardrobe and a lovely bathroom with a good shower, bidet and hairdryer and more than fulfilled our needs. Like I said, the views were priceless and apart from hearing people chat on the terrace below in the mornings and evenings if we kept all balcony doors open, it was lovely and quiet.

The family – Lucia, her husband and parents – couldn’t have been kinder and more helpful. Lucia’s German is perfect (I’m originally Austrian so that helps) and her English is quite good. With the rest of the family, it helps to have some Italian (Grandma speaks a bit of German, too) to communicate but they do their best to be helpful in any case. Lucia’s husband helped us to park our car in a gated car-park a couple of minutes further up the hill (it cost 7 euros a night) and piled my plate high with his home-made cakes at breakfast every morning after I confessed to having a sweet tooth… the breakfast buffet was fine – the usual Continental fare of cheese, cold meats and breads, cereal and yoghurt (with the added attraction of the home-made cakes) and nobody seemed to mind that we usually arrived at the very end of breakfast time close to 10 o’clock. We were asked every morning if we wanted to dine at the hotel that night and had an extensive menu read out to us but unfortunately never got round to dining there as we didn’t want to commit ourselves to returning at a certain time in the evening. We did hear though that the food was very good.

We did take advantage of the lovely swimming pool for a few hours one morning and found it to be one of the most relaxing experiences of our holiday! The water was still quite chilly (it was the beginning of June and they had had a cool wet spell before we arrived) but beautifully refreshing when the sun started to get hot. Most of all, we enjoyed the hotel’s three sun-terraces (one at pool level and two right above it) with lots of very comfy sunbeds which we all had to ourselves! To sit on one of the terraces surrounded by gorgeous flowers and plants and look down on the lovely bay in total peace and quiet was sheer heaven! We never did make it down the flights of steps to the hotel’s beach but we saw staff working to get it ready early in the morning and it looked fine (although maybe not quite as nice as the town’s lighter sand beaches in the next bay).

Together with the beautiful towns of the Cinque Terre, our stay at the Leopold was one of the most favourite parts of our Italy trip and we’d return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NCVienna
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed July 29, 2009

1. If they had mentioned on the phone that the double room was 60 Euros, per night, PER PERSON. No respect for non-Italians that do not know that this kind of price quotation is quite common for summer locations.
2. If they had mentioned that the only available room not only did not have a view of the sea but HAD NO VIEW AT ALL (not even an ugly one) as it was 30cm away from a rock that almost completely blocked it. The window was kept closed. It was better that way.
3. If they did not make your life difficult with BREAKFAST TIMES. When I arrived for breakfast at 9:50am, the breakfast guy almost did not let me in although my wife was already there (she went 10 minutes earlier). I found a closed door and started fumbling with the handle only to realize it was locked (they had my wife locked in there). The guy was there and although he saw me trying to get in he did not immediately offer to help me (I did not know he was an employee at the time). After he saw me persisting he opened the door and told me that they were already closed (so, he was basically doing me a favor!).
4. If the RECEPTION CLOSED a bit later. There was nobody at the reception after 10pm and the whole climate made you feel awkward when you had to "annoy" them at that time.
5. If they had a sane PARKING space management system. The second night I arrived at 1am after a night of fun to find my parking space taken by another car. After wondering what to do for like 15 minutes, somebody came down and told me to leave the car right next to the door. The next morning they told to take it and put it inside some other garage that was further up the hill. I had to locate that place myself (no sign whatsoever), open the gate myself and put the car inside. When I failed to find the "white gate" and came back down they were visibly "disappointed" with me.
6. If they had MANNERS. The breakfast guy turned out to be a major annoyance. On that fateful "parking nightmare" morning he started practically screaming to us (I don't know if he was actually angry or just a loud-mouthed mountain guy) something like "Where are you going with thr car? Where are you going with the car?". He was visibly shocked with the fact that we did not know that it is better to take the train to go to "cinque terre" (great place by the way).
7. If the hotel's plumbing was not so loud. You could literally make out the consistency of the liquids as they travelled down the pipes.
8. If they had even a hint of INTERNET connectivity.
9. If they were not so STINGY. We stayed for 3 nights. They did not ever bring new bathing gel sachets (they only had 2 small ones when we arrived). They even charged us the 3 cappuccinos we had at the garden (total cost 2 euros or something like that) although they knew they were taking advantage of us.

Other than that, yeah, the view from the front yard was great! Thank you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FotiosB
Queanbeyan
Reviewed August 20, 2008

When we arrived the family was friendly and helpful, our room was excellent and the view was unbelivable (make sure you get a room with an ocean view) the food was fantastic and at all times the family made us feel welcome. I would go back again

Eric & Kandie - Australia

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank ricki475
san francisco
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I only spent one night, but they were great, and took me in after another nearby hotel didn't honor my reservation(!)
Fantastic views...make sure to get a room on the water side. The pool was clean and again, had the most amazing views.
Breakfast was excellent.
Highly recommended!

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moneglia
Hotel Mondial
#1 of 12 in Moneglia
Villa Edera Hotel
Villa Edera Hotel
#3 of 12 in Moneglia

Been to Hotel Leopold? Share your experiences!