“Perfect short, cheap break”
Review of La Ripetta

La Ripetta
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Perfect short, cheap break”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I went to Sorrento on a school trip, so I didnt see much of the hotel, but the rooms were spacious, and reasonably comfy. There was some noise at night but it hardley bothered me and my room mates. The balcony at the top of the hotel had an amazing view and was very relaxing. The rooms were clean and the lunches and dinners were amazing!! And delicious!!! The breakfasts werent the best, but they were certainly decent enough. The staff were very helpful and very friendly. It was a very enjoyable holiday!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hungarian first
Kiryat Tivon, Israel
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Great value for money , if your with car then its location , that is a bit far from the center is irrelevant , we got great tips for restaurants , where to park and what to see from the lovely receptionist.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed September 10, 2011

1. The hotel is located on the rock above the Piano di Sorrento beach and gives you amazing view on the Sorrento bay (especially in the evening). If you want hotel from the same kind in Sorrento you will have to spend two-three times more money then here.
2. The personnel of the hotel is very kind and responded to any our requires.
3. Due to our poor Italian we parked our car on one of the close to hotel streets and didn't notice that there is a market each Monday morning. Eventually we came on Monday morning and found a market and no evidence of our car! We rushed back to the hotel to see what happened to our car!! Hotel personnel helped us to find the car and to arrange all beaurocratic procedures and even took us with one of the workers car to the police station. Lets say if we weren't getting help from the hotel it could have took all the day long to get our car back. In this case it took 2h (including 30 minutes in police station) and 100 euro.
4. Hotel has a very easy breakfast. It was a bit strange in the beginning, because we are usual for very massive breakfast in European and Israeli hotel. But eventually it was OK and we didn't suffer from starving :-) And most important - we came back home with the same weight!
5. The only low light I can recall is the bad - it was not so comfortable for us. May be because we have orthopedic mattresses at our home.

To summarize the review - we got and excellent vacation and hotel was excellent per the money we paid for.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This was a school trip. 11 year old kids and several staff members.

Accommodation was basic but fine. Rooms at the front of the hotel were horrendously noisy and rooms at the back were peaceful and had sea views.

Basement rooms were not pleasant because we had to have the windows shut for safety reasons. They were like saunas.

There is no airconditioning. In June this was an issue...I dread to think what it will be like in July/August.

However, the rooms were large and clean. The hotel was able to accommodate the school group successfully.

Staff were friendly and approachable.

Breakfast, dinner and packed lunch were basic but fine. Simple but palatable. There is a bar and a pizza service later at night which was nice.

The hotel is on a busy road which can be challenging with school groups but it was handy for the little beach and was about 10 mins from the train station to get the train into Sorrento proper.

Room Tip: Rooms on 1st floor + at the back of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Azure_Aurora
Chelmsford Essex
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Like some others of your contributors, I was at La Ripetta with a school group.
The staff were helpful and friendly, and the dining rooms had good views of the bay. Some of the bedrooms, too, though some looked onto a road.
There are a couple of bars and small shops near the hotel, but the town is a good 15 minutes' walk away.
It makes no claims to be a luxury hotel, and the breakfast, as least for us, was meagre, but nontethless I felt we had good value, and would return alone, just for the view.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EricAshley47
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The rooms were infested with swarms of ants, the floors were as dirty as the streets, the beds were like sleeping on a pavement, the pillows were like resting your head on rocks, there was very limited hot water for showers and the rooms were very cold. When you woke up it felt like you was in a freezer and was on the brink of getting frost bite. Not very nice at all.

When informing the manager it was possible to mistake him as a tramp and was dressed like someone who was homeless. He issued a brush to deal with the ants and along with some ant killer. He made no effort to take a look at the situation and quite clearly didn’t care.

The manager did nothing but moan. He was badly mannered and nothing but annoying. Downstairs was a seating area with sofas but if you were to use them you must remain in dead silent as if you were at a funeral or he would start complaining and say there was a charge for excess noise.

In terms of meals it was shocking. Breakfast was just bread rolls and a drink which was hardly going to fill you up especially when the manager limited it to 2 per person. The evening meal wasn’t much better. The menu was fixed and you had no choice it was a starter and a main meal so if you didn’t like it you had to starve. Additionally everything was served drowned in olive oil which made it very greasy and sickly.

Upstairs where the owners of the hotel lived, there was constant noise and along with this the traffic outside was horrendous. Anyone would think there was a football match on with bobozela horns going off. All of this made it very difficult to sleep as you were constantly been disturbed.

I’m sure there must be much nicer hotels in their area where you get better value and services. Visit at your own risk.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank CS94

Travelers are raving about these Piano di Sorrento hotels

Sarvar, Hungary
Reviewed November 7, 2010

In September 2010 we spent 6 nights in this hotel (my parents - both aged 53, my brother - aged 26 and me). We had 2 double rooms next to each other on the 3rd floor.

There wasn't any problem with rooms, or bathrooms, they were poor furnished, but clean - maybe they know, that in Italy you would not spend your time in the room! :)

There weren't any other rooms on this floor, but the hotel owner's flat, and a small terracce with a jacuzzi out of order... :(

Unfortunately we had a lot problems with the staff: they cannot speak German or English, only Italian. They smile a lot, but they cannot help you, after you made yourself understood, they did not fix the problems. The breakfast was very-very poor: all the same every day, and from the 3rd morning, not 3 then 4 slices of cold buffett for 4 people! Oh, and of course, 3 slices of cheese for 4 people. Butter and jam for all day, but nothing else...

We had half board in this hotel, we had to choose from 2 menus for the next day. The dinner included 3 course: cold / warm starter or some soup, main dish and dessert. The dishes were tasteful, but so much little!
We had to take a sit every evening by the same table (our number was 108), so they had to know, that we are 4, for all 6 mornings and 6 evenings. Some times we get only 3 glasses, or 4 glasses, but 3 covers, or 2 covers with 4 glasses, we did not get the menu what we have choosen 1 day before, some times we were asked what we would like to have for drink, some times not. We ordered red wine and get white wine and so on. Only on 1 day from the 6 was everything perfect.

The flat of the owner was next to our room on the 3rd floor. This man is not for the guests in his hotel! He slamed the door of his flat so much noisy 5-6 times every night, that I could kill him. It was totally impossible to sleep because of him. "Nice" hotel owner.

On the 2nd day I needed an iron. I talked to the receptionist on the first evening, she told me, that they have it, and of course I can use it every time. Ok, I thought, than I'll come back next morning, because it was too late. Next day, her colleague told me, that they do not have any iron. And I cannot iron here. I have to ask it after 8 o' clock. We had some program, so we had to leave the hotel, but I tried to get the iron once in the afternoon. I talked to the hotel owner then. He absolutely cannot help me. I am not too good in Activity playing, but it is not too hard to show if you need an iron, or a hair dryer. Why hair dryer? I got a hair dryer when I showed I need an iron. So, that was the point I gave it up.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Hotel Albatros
Hotel Albatros
#11 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Coast
Towers Hotel Stabiae Sorrento Co...
#4 of 15 in Castellammare Di Stabia

Been to La Ripetta? Share your experiences!