“Hotel in the sky”

Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Reviewed March 4, 2010

The title came from my first stay at the hotel 7 years ago. We went into the tourist information and the chap behind the desk called the Nastro Azzuro "the hotel in the sky". The location is why we chose it and also why we went back again.
This as to be one of my favorite hotel and that's why we went back in July 2009. My brother and his family from Cornwall joined us on this holiday. I had told them about our visit there in the past and had hoped it would not disappoint them or me.

There flight arrived before lunch and they called us at the airport to say they were delighted that I had suggested the hotel to them. I was so relieved as it was quite expensive but it was All Inclusive.

On arrival we noticed that the reception/lobby had been extended which made it look even more opulent. The new Marino Resort had been added and the grounds were lovely.
We had 4 rooms between us and our children’s ages ranged from 5 - 17. Our rooms were quite spacious cleaned every day. The staff were friendly and always had a smile no matter what the time of day was. They obviously work long hours but are smart and efficient as well as charming.

There was a problem about money going missing from some of the rooms. Luckily it did not happen to us and would not put us off going back again.

The pool area could do with a make over but ewe here it is getting an upgrade in 2010.
It’s not near the beach but who needs sand when you can sit at the pool and enjoy the panoramic views from the hotel in the sky.
All 10 of us had a great holiday and will certainly be back

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank travellertweeds
Write a ReviewReviews (1,862)

Reviewed February 9, 2010

The hotel is very nice but if you are looking for night life or easy access to where everything is and the action then do not stay here. I stayed in the hotel with friends while on a group tour being my first time in Sorrento and the tour company picking the hotel we had no say or had no idea that the hotel would be located above a high hill that made you feel like you where on a mountain top or maybe we were. From up there you cannot appreciate the views because its too high up and too alevated to go up and down if you are elderly or have bad knees of had a bad foot as i did at that time i visited. So to get around the group relied on paying for taxis to get in an out of the hotel after our couch bus was gone for the day.

The hotel also has very bad internet service they would want you to pay upfront for ex amount of hours to connect to their internet service yet there's little or no way to make sure that you account gets disconnected because although you think you logged out of your account the next person can access the internet still on your account running. We encounter this many times by people from other tour groups or our own that when we go back to use our account the minutes where gone or we found that we instantly connected to the last users account with out being prompted. The hotel just made excuses and never took care of the problem or made any attempt to credit us or try to find any kind of resolution to it.

My bed was also a problem from day one. I had requested a queen size bed and instead was given a king. I am one person and did not feel i needed the kinb but i was told that it was the only room available. On my first night trying to sleep i sat on the bed and found the the bed had a broken leg so down to the floor i almost went i complained about it and they did nothing to even repair it. I requested to change rooms and this was never done they said that all rooms are book but during our stay there there may have only been 30 people there from my tour group and another elder tour group, the hotel practically empty and they did not fix the bed or moved me to another room. The shower also had no curtain or and glass door or front wall so when ever you showered all the water went all over the bath room. I found that to be rediculous because everything in the room got wet when ever you tried to wash you hair or turn in the shower. The walls were also paper thin. My room was down the hall away from the elevator and when ever someone stood by the elevator talking i could hear them. If people talked on the next room or had the tv on I could hear them. The food at the restaurant was always good we had hand made pastas, salmon, rabbit and other items that i had no desire to try but was good as told by my friends. The pastries and breakfast was also very good but the eggs were always way under cooked specially the scrambled.

Aside from all the tours and seightseeing we did each day i would had been completely desappointed if i wanted rest and relaxation at that hotel. I do not recommended based on it being the worst location unless you are a celebrity and want nothing to do public interaction.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I read the reviews on this hotel and was unsure when i was going but once i got there WOW was i amazed. It was the best holiday me and my boyfriend have been on together. We are both 20 and we found this was great for young couples. The food is the most amazing food ever - the menu is always changing so you have different dishes all the time - lunch by the pool (try the pizza and the spag bol both AMAZING). I would definaltely go back. We were very lucky with our room - there were no problems (except the safe would not open - but manager came up straight away and resolved) - some said they had problems with their rooms but i thought they were amazing. The pool has alot of ants around the edge and at the toilet but if you run to your room to go toilet you are fine. A+. All i can say is do not read the reviews and go for it ! everyone has their own opinion but eveyrone i spoke to didnt want to leave. This is on my list to go back and they do great excursions.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephaniey0ung
Reviewed December 23, 2009

My husband and I were staying at Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro for our anniversary and we enjoyed it a lot. My husband made me a surprise- he booked us a room through Easy Click web site and didn't tell me anything about it. Only the day before, he told me we're going to Italy. It was so romantic and so charming, I really couldn't ask for a better anniversary. The hotel is very pretty; it has a lovely lovely swimming pool, 2 wonderful restaurants and a wonderful view. I liked it a lot and I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tripmyworld
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Don't bother upgrading your room! My husband booked this for our honeymoon, so decided as a surprise for me he would upgrade us to a Garden View. We arrived at the hotel late at night and instead of going straight to our room we had the cold meal which had been left out (this was actually quite nice).

We spoke to one of the other couples while we were eating our meal, they had already looked at their room and were not very impressed, as they said it was a bit small. (Alarm bells should have started ringing).

When we got to our room I was quite surprised at quite how small it was. We had one very small wardrobe (about 6 hangers in it), and no drawers to unpack our clothes into. The (tiny) TV was sitting on top of the mini bar (there was nowhere else for it to sit) and the tea/coffee making facilities were sitting on one of the bedside tables, also the kettle didn't work unless you held the cable in, there was barely room to move with our cases in the room!

The bathroom was actually ok size wise, (but the hairdrier fell apart after after a day). When I woke up in the morning and saw the room in daylight I was extremely disappointed, so decided that I would speak to the Rep as I didn't think the room we were in could be classed as an upgrade. Also the curtains were different sizes and had wine stains on them, the tiles on the balcony were also cracked and there were no shutters on the windows.

The Rep was very dismissive and when I offered to show her the room she stated that she knew what size the rooms are and didn't need to see it and it was the same size as all of the other rooms and rooms in Italy don't have much storage space. She also explained that the hotel had chosen to "upgrade" us to a sea view as we were on our honeymoon, informed rep not happy as room tiny etc. etc. also we had requested garden view not sea view. Still no joy from Rep.

Went back to room and spoke to our neighbours who showed us their room, this was 3 times the size of the room we were in, also checked the fire map on the back of the door which plainly showed the room was tiny and the smallest on that floor, also the neighbouring room had loads of storage, both wardrobe and drawer space, and a bigger TV.

I took the map back down to show the Rep and she was unable to ignore the evidence of the fire map, so she spoke to the manager who said as they were fully booked and couldn't move us until the Friday, at this stage I decided to complain officially and asked for a form.

When we handed the form in a room suddenly became available a day earlier, this still left us in what can only be described as a sub standard room for half of our honeymoon. Also they were supposed to change the offending wine stained curtains and the kettle but this never happened. When we got our new room it was a lot nicer than the first room, and no claustraphobia issues, but still not what I would call an upgrade.

Location of the hotel is very nice but is in the middle of nowhere, although the views are stunning. The hotel bus service into Sorrento is not very good, only runs once an hour and you are made to feel as if you are causing an inconvenience when booking. If you miss the bus back to the hotel it will cost around 40 Euros for a taxi, so beware!

We also tried to buy proper Prosecco (the fizzy wine behind the bar is not Prosecco) but the staff refused to sell us it, don't know if it was in stock or not, no explanation, we were just told No!!! The hotel do not seem to understand the concept of all inclusive, this is the only all inclusive hotel in this region and it shows, it was very difficult getting food outside of the meal times, even though the menu states that bar snacks are available all day. To carry on the wine theme from earlier, the best house wine is the rosé, which you could only get by the bottle with a meal but seemed to run out quite often, top tip is to order a bottle and take it out to the bar with you as they don't stock it in the bar.

Have raised these issues with TUI since returning home, even though we had filled in a complaint form we had to follow this up with a letter. We did get the £140 back which was what we paid for the upgrade, but to be honest no amount of money will make up for the first 3 days of our honeymoon we felt we missed due to the room debacle!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank 19pand
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Ok, this isn’t a great hotel, but it is a pretty good base for a holiday. Our room was a basic one but the bed was huge, the shower was terrific and it was all well kept, being swept and tidied daily. The service is, if you’re of the mind, funny. So don’t worry, the waiters aren’t being especially indifferent – or even rude – to you alone. There's no prejudice at The Nastro Azzurro, they’re equally offensive to everybody; but they do their jobs efficiently enough.

Similarly if you want the great Italian culinary experience, this isn’t the place. That said the food isn’t bad and never worse than acceptable, although breakfast and lunch are presented from an utterly unchanging menu (we were glad we only booked for a week).

The hotel’s shuttle bus service into Sorrento is terrific. It’s free, frequent and easy; a stepping stone to all the tours, boats and trains. The first one leaves at 7.30am, so you can explore and return in plenty of time for a hearty dinner.

In summary then, think of a perfectly acceptable three star hotel with lots of Basil Fawlties serving the food and drink. If that sounds OK, you’ll enjoy it. We did.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank knightcraig
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Our stay at the hotel was good, food excellent and staff very friendly and helpful
although service on gala night was very slow.
Good situation with curtesy bus to get into Sorrento
On our last evening we went to our safe, only to find £60 missing from wallet.
The manager offered to take us to the police station. but we declined as it was 7pm and we were leaving at 7.30am next morning. speaking to other people we found 2 couples both with English money missing. £40 & £20,they do not take all the money out of the wallet, so lots of people would not notice. BEWARE !
We were in room 314 our friends were in 242 other couple were in 246

#6 of 12 in Piano di Sorrento
Villa Oriana Relais
Villa Oriana Relais
#3 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro? Share your experiences!