“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this fabulous hotel for one week mid September and our expectations were huge based on reviews. We were more than impressed! Everything has been covered in previous reviews so I will try not to repeat ( toilet rolls, pool towels and vodka.. Not good!) .
The level of service this hotel managed to maintain considering the size of it and occupancy was incredible! The location is superb with stunning views that you simply wouldn't get had it been closer to sorrento and trust me the shuttle bus is great and staff were very flexible if you wanted to change your mind about what time you got it.
I would reccomend everyone do the sorrento walkabout with Thomson rep Jane as it gives you an idea of your bearings when getting the shuttle into town, not to mention very informative... But the highlight for me had to be the Amalfi drive select! At €108 euros each it's not cheap (plus additional €12 for the optional boat trip at amalfi) but trust me it was worth EVERY penny!!! Fabulous places with food and wine included. I will be putting it top of my "things to do list" when I hopefully return to see Angelo and his most welcoming staff at this simply stunning hotel next June! This is a first for me as I never go back to the same place, let alone so soon!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Anniefordyoioioi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Hebrew first
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We came back to the hotel for the 3rd time on 1st July this year for 2 weeks. Every year has exceeded the last year in expectation. On arrival we were greeted by the staff as old friends.
We chose a non balcony room as we never spend much time there, but it was a great room, even better than our room at the Occhio last year and cost £500 less!!! We had a welcome back card and bottle of wine waiting for us.
We have to give a very special mention to Vincenzo the head chef who made such an effort to make our holiday amazing. He is charming and shy and easily embarrassed with too much fuss but quite simply a 5 star chef.
A few staff from previous years have moved on but the new staff are just as fantastic. When we arrived at lunchtime Luigi made an instant impression. He was so friendly and accommodating and always extremely pleasant.
We are very surprised by some negative feedback on recent reviews regarding minor issues like wine glasses, toilet paper and standard of wine, even mentioning the age of certain clientele. We do not agree with any of these views. We are in our early 40s, fit and certainly not grey haired, but even If we were it should not be an issue. If you are looking for a wild time go to Magaluf . It's peaceful, idyllic, the staff are first class and can not be faulted, the cleanliness is faultless, the house wine is absolutely adequate for what it is. If you want something extra special put your hand in your pocket and buy it.
Much has been written about Carmine and Angelo... they really are huge personalities in the hotel. Without them the place would not be quite the same...but we also have to say a big thank you to Genaro, Arturio, Claudio, Massimo, Marina,Toni, Pina, Giovanni, Roberto from the pool, James and our room maid Philomena.... in fact I can not fault any staff and we also love the local turn Lello and Carlo!
The big boss Il Capo was very pleasant and it was lovely that he remembered us from previous years. He particularly appreciated my partners effort on Italian garden night when he wore one red and one green sock!! I would like to finish by reassuring Il Capo that his hotel is probably the best we have stayed at throughout Europe and America and we look forward to coming for many years to come.

Room Tip: If you don't spend much time in your room choose the one's without a balcony. 2 rooms in 1...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Maud, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Really! All that I have to say has been said earlier by 801Mark T.
Everything that he says is exactly the experience we had also. Maitre'D Angelo was a friendly, helpful, and terrific character, his Deputy, Giovani was just as good, although he could maybe smile more!!
The waiters were great and helpful and always there to help out if needed.
A special mention has to go to our room maid, Filomena, who worked very hard to keep our room spotless! She is also a bit of an entertainer with a whizz with the towels, ???? You'll see for yourselfs.???
The feature evenings were a delight and a great excuse for the ladies to put on an extra bit of glam.
Gentle! Beware, don.'t try and get into Angelo's Dining room with shorts on. The courtesy bus was a great idea with frequent shuttles into the town. The two euro trip to the olive farm was excellent value.
The trip to Pompeii and Herculaneum was hard work on the feet but worth it, the Thomson Tour guide certainly knew is stuff and made the two towns come to life, a moving experience!!!

Seriously folks, you just have to go there, we will certainly be going back!

Room Tip: Go for a room without a balcony
Pontypandy South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed for a week in September.

Location is picteresque but slightly out of the way.Hotel does provide free bus service to and from Sorrento.Be warned due to USA travellers in area taxis are a rip off - 50 euro for a 6 mile trip

Staff at hotel are superb-everyone will help you and try and accomodate what you need

Food overrall is very good for all inclusive,buffet breakfast was good but not over the top.Lunch was excellent(served at pool area) including cold buffet and freshly BBQ meats and fish,night time was buffet but had the nice twist of providing waiter service 3 course meal with a variety of selections

1 thing to be aware is the selection of selected branded drinks,this is of course accurate but be aware you may have to drink the "Aldi" brand vodka but will serve proper martini if that is your taste.

Hotel is kept fantastically clean and again the staff are excellent

Good base for exploring the area,trips are probably expensive in reallity but the boat trip around and on to capri was fantastic and well worth doing

Room Tip: Partial sea view rooms are what they sea.For best view rooms you have to pay the price i.e.Superior...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dantheman40
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic holiday.the staff are so friendly and the hotel is very clean and beautifully presented. The evening meals were really good with bags of choice and the fresh pizza at lunchtime put British pizza parlours in the shade. I see people are moaning about the drinks but I found the all inclusive drinks to be of a very high standard and who can complain at Peroni on draught any time you want it. The entertainment which was performed by the Switch duo of Harry and Ellie was absolutely first class. Best musicians and singers in any Italian, in deed any European hotel we have visited . It makes me smile when I read reviews about it being boring or noisy or poor food and drink. Who are these people.? This is an absolutely fantastic place with fantastic staff and fantastic food. We will definitely be going Back in 2014

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Alan J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights in September for our honeymoon and I nearly cried when the time came to leave!

As another reviewer said, I am reluctant to give my review because I don't want the place to be full when we want to book to come back! Having said that, the service was so good I feel compelled to write this in the hopes that the staff will see it.

First of all I will get the small negatives out of the way, there were negatives but not enough to make me give less than 5 stars. As pointed out by several reviewers, the toilet roll is pretty rubbish! I just used twice as much though! We were woken up before 8am most days by the maids talking outside our room, I mentioned this in our questionnaire at the end of the holiday so hopefully this will be addressed but when we return (which I know we will!) I will probably ask for an upper floor in order to avoid this. Lastly the wifi was only available in certain areas and not particularly strong, making it harder to brag to our friends and family and sadly making it almost impossible to view the preview of our wedding video which was emailed to me on our last day.

Now I'll get on to the many positives. As mentioned by many reviewers it really is the staff that make this hotel such a wonderful place. We were greeted on our first day by Carmine who made it clear that he was going to look after us, and that he did. Angelo the Maitre d' was such a lovely man, he was always ready to greet us with a twinkle in his eye and made us feel really special. The Maitre d' assistant Giovanni was also great, he was always polite and once you got him into conversation he was really friendly and quite funny.
I have to make a special mention of the barmen Gio and James who were not only friendly and fun but would appear as if from nowhere to take your drinks order and you never had to wait too long for the next one. Waiters Claudio and Gerardo stood out to us but in honesty all of the waiting staff were incredibly efficient and friendly and it was the waiter service that really made this hotel stand out from other All Inclusives.
The reception staff were always friendly and accommodating, I have to mention Daniela in particular who printed off reams of information for me on Naples when I asked whether they had a brochure.
Jane and Georgia the Thomson staff were excellent, Jane was almost always there and very helpful, Georgia WAS always there as she lived in the hotel and she was great, we enjoyed the photography walk and Olive oil farm trip that we did with her. I also particularly loved Georgia's rap during Switch's performance of Blurred Lines, hilarious! That takes me on to Switch (the house band) who I can see have had mixed reviews. Considering they have people of all ages to try and keep happy I think they do an outstanding job. Ellie brought me to tears in her rendition of "Time to say goodbye" and their Riverdance song was out of this world, a real showcase of Ellie's vocals and both of their instrument playing.

The next stand out thing was the food. Again it is the menu and choices of starters and mains at dinner that make this stand out from other AI hotels. As stated by another reviewer the starters were often better than the mains, the solution to that? Order two starters! That's what I often did. Their cannelloni in particular was delicious so if it is on the menu I highly recommend it. We absolutely loved the food and there was always something on the menu to suit me- the fussy eater. You get a bottle of wine with dinner (or drinks from the bar) and it took us a little while to warm up to the wine but if you don't like the AI option there are other wines there that you can pay extra for.
At lunch time the choices of pizza, pasta, meats and salads at the poolside were delicious and I did love the gelato. We had a packed lunch several times and had no idea what to expect, even though they were more or less the same each time they were always satisfactory with a couple of rolls (I loved the tomato and mozzarella, so much nicer than what we are used to in the UK), some fruit, biscoti and a carton of juice and bottle of water.

We stayed in the Occhio Marino complex and we were very pleased with our room. As I mentioned earlier we were there on our honeymoon and we arrived to a very nice note and a bottle of spumante which we drank on our terrace. We paid for a partial sea view and were not disappointed, although as I mentioned earlier I would probably ask for an upper floor room next time.

The pool area was very pleasant and the sunset bar had the most incredible views, my only gripe being that it just wasn't open for long enough.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us, we loved the incredible views and were both glad that we weren't in the centre of town. The courtesy bus was a very nice touch considering reports that a one way taxi from Sorrento was 50 euros and we found it very efficient. We would thoroughly recommend going on the walkabout of Sorrento when you arrive as there were a couple on the bus who hadn't done it and they had no idea how to get into town!

The walkabout took us to O'Parruchiano's restaurant in Sorrento which was where cannelloni was invented. We promptly asked Jane to book us a table there and we weren't disappointed, but I shall review that separately!

We went on several trips while in Sorrento, in fact we crammed in a few too many but we wanted to see everything. The Amalfi drive was gorgeous, we particularly loved Scala where we tried the delicious Ravello wine. The 4x4 Vesuvius tour is one we would strongly recommend, particularly if you are lucky enough to get Alberio as your guide. Capri and Anacapri were fantastic although next time we would do that by ourselves as we would have preferred more time in Anacapri rather than the other way around. Pompeii and Herculaneum also come recommended by us, I think this is one you would need a guide for as we spoke to some other guests who made their own way there and they felt they had missed out. We booked a private car to Positano and this was a very good decision, we used amalficoastdriver who we saw recommended on here and just chose the transfer option, Positano was absolutely stunning and we will definitely go back, taking beachwear next time! The only place we didn't enjoy was Naples, we went on the train and spent the whole time there feeling very on edge, we were in touristy clothes and felt like we stood out like a sore thumb, we even had plastic things thrown at our heads! I didn't feel safe wandering around there with my new DSLR around my neck so we didn't stay long.

Another reviewer advised bug spray- this is one thing I will DEFINITELY take with me next time, I counted my bites last night and I am up to 30, several of them being very nasty. Do take bug spray!

But back to the hotel. We would both like to say a huge thank you to all the staff who made our honeymoon feel special, despite the numerous other honeymooners and wedding parties staying there at the same time. We will definitely stay here again and I do hope that the staff are still the same, especially the chef!

1 Thank Charlieleya
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just returned form this lovely hotel after spending two weeks there from the 13th of September.
Everything you have read about the place regarding the wonderful staff, food, location and service is 100% spot on.
From the moment you arrive and get the welcoming speech from Carmine to the time you sadly leave, is geared to ensure you relax and unwind and allow the hotel staff to look after you.
We had a so called 'budget' room with no balcony but with a 'secret squirrel' lift key to allow access to a fantastic roof terrace with amazing 360 degree views along with sun loungers and a fridge stocked with drinks! This was agreed by people who had paid more for a balcony to be a far better option. The room itself was spacious and well appointed so go for these.
Food is very plentiful, varied and fresh, all served in a freindly, effiecint and good humoured way.
Angelo, the Maitre 'D is a wonderful character and undoubtedly Mr Cool always relaxed and keen to ensure all guests are happy at all times.
In fact it would be impossible and unfair to single out any individual staff member for exceptional service as they all give this all the time but the Managers do make sure of a smooth ship with regard to customer satisfaction.
Entertainment is quite low key but we throughly enjoyed all of it especially the local duo 'Switch' who will no doubt go on to bigger and better things and the Nastro Azzurro is very lucky to have them.
Jane, the on site Thompson rep is yet another first class contributor to the holiday experience, always on hand to give advice and support.
Georgia, the entertainment co-ordinator is very good at her job and again helps make sure everyone enjoys them selves.
So overall, a highly recommended location with fantastic staff, accomodation and food - go there, you wont regret it!
Oh, there is a downside ----- we had to leave!!

Room Tip: Go for a simple basic room with roof terrace access these are far better value.
3 Thank 801MarkT
Grand Hotel President
Grand Hotel President
#17 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,149 reviews

Been to Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro? Share your experiences!