“Amazing”

Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just arrived home after a fantastic week at this amazing hotel. Having previously read the reviews we thought this hotel was too good to be true, not the case, this hotel and the staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble and they do really go out of their way to make it a special holiday for you. Each and every member of staff becomes a friend and you are made to feel as if you have been going there for years, my new best friend is Claudio he is a real diamond and such a lovely person xx. We stayed in room 136 which is over the restaurant and close to where the entertainment takes place but we didn't hear a thing, the alcohol might have helped though, this is plentiful and all branded. The food is amazing at every meal and the special touch is the waiter service at dinner which makes each evening a special occasion.
We did two trips with Thomson and having looked around they were good value for money and the guides were excellent. A must do is the free walk around Sorrento and thanks to Aleksandro and Jane flags trees valley bridge and steps will stay with us for ever. Sorrento wasn't as expensive as we thought it was going to be and the free trip helped us get our bearings.
This week we had the seasons first heat wave party outside around the pool and was an amazing evening and most people stayed after dinner for the entertainment, those who didn't missed a great night. The staff worked amazingly hard to get every thing ready and then clear away putting the area back for the following day.
Angelo the Maitre'de is a real gent and knows how to make each and every female feel special, he has real Italian charm and nothing is forced.
We can not wait to back next year and intact have been home 15 mins and have already booked, this hotel has many returners and sells out fast and I can now see why xx

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank k1of2ksy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,862)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Italy and it won't be our last! This hotel is outstanding in every way, the staff are superb and are a credit to the owners. We arrived at 10:00 pm, feeling tired after a long trip out.The lady at reception welcomed us with a warm smile and after a very quick check in told us to the restaurant for some much needed refreshment.The Maitre'D Angelo welcomed us and showed us to our table. The cold food platter in front of us was amazing and very delicious, complete with wine and table water. In the mean time our cases were taken up to our room - A great start to our holiday! The room was spacious with a king size bed and spotlessly clean.Unlike other All inclusive hotels there was a free safe to use and a mini fridge which was stocked up with mineral water - In other hotels we have been charged for this!
The food during our stay was wonderful, in our 11 nights we had something different every evening. There was a huge choice of starters and Main courses. Also both the breakfasts and Lunches (served by the pool) had also a good choice every day. Recommend the Pizza's - you can choose your own toppings and they are superb!
We had three theme evenings during our visit - an italian night, a black and white night and a pool party night - The hard work and presentation, not to mention the beautiful food shows what a wonderful and dedicated staff this hotel has!
Drinks are plentiful and are of good quality brands, you don't have to move as the friendly waiters serve you, even at the pool side.
The Thomson Rep Jane was a lovely lady who was always helpful, courteous and friendly. Also we recommend doing the walking trip of Sorrento which is free as Jane points out all the good spots to visit - Very handy when you do your own visit. Also she described the trips very accurately. we booked three of them Amalfi Coast Drive, Pompeii and Herculaneum and the Isle of Capri - All excellent with friendly and amusing guides. I have noticed on previous reviews that others thought that they were expensive, to be honest we did look at other companies in Sorre nto and they were actually dearer for like with like tours. Also we did talk to another couple on one of the trips who were hoping to visit Pompeii by train, unfortunately there was a strike on the day they wanted to go - Something that happens with out warning!
The Hotel is about 20 minutes away from Sorrento in a high view point and the views from it are spectacular. However you have a free Shuttle Mini Coach which will take you to Sorrento when you want and bring you back - Just book it at Reception.
The packed lunches ( We had them for two of our trips and when we spent the day at Sorrento) are really nice, lovely filled rolls, cake, fruit, juice and water and they are in a strong bag which can be disposed of afterwards. Our previous experience on another hotel was receiving a huge cool box, which you ended up carrying all day!
Also thanks to Jane (Thomson) who also ordered packed lunches for our trips - Which saved us money and the tour guides did help us to find an area to eat them in comfort.
The entertainment was excellent and the lovely Georgia (Thomson) is an asset, she is a beautiful,bubbly young lady who genuinely cares that you enjoy yourself. No hard sell with the activities, if you want to something you can, if not that's not a problem. The evening duo Emma and Pete are very talented and very relaxing to listen to.
So to sum up. A lovely hotel with fantastic food, good company from some of the lovely people that we met and of course the first class staff - A very big thank you to the following for looking after us :-
Angelo (A true charming gentleman), Guivanni, Carmine, Pina, Stephano, Val, Jo, Allesandro, James, Luigi and Litezia our room maid. There are others who deserve a mention but unfortunately I have forgotten their names - Sorry!
Lastly a very big thank you to Jane and Georgia (Thomson) for also making our holiday special.

6  Thank DynFalli
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I went to this beautiful hotel on the 31st May 2013 for a fortnight. Well where do I start. From the moment we arrived at Reception, the staff were so friendly. We went straight to our room which had a garden view and balcony. We were very pleased with it, it had the best bed I have ever slept in, it was Kingsize, there was also mood lighting and it was spotlessly clean. There was a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us as this was a special birthday for me. We used to like to go on the balcony in the evenings to watch the fire flies flying around. Our maid was a lady called Carmen, and she was also so friendly and always smiling. The hotel is so quiet, wherever you go, it is never packed with people except perhaps in the evening for the entertainment. The Reception staff including Daniella, Allesandro, Enza and Simona are all so friendly and were very helpful to us during our stay. The food was outstanding, we had a buffet breakfast which included so much food. The omlettes and pancakes were fantastic. The food lunchtime by the pool was wonderful, the pizzas are so tasty and the ice creams are out of this world. The evening meal was waiter service, and that was wonderful too, so much choice. I now need to lose a few pounds. The staff at the Restaurant including Angelo, Giovani, Massimo, Max, Claudio, Pina, Val, Marina, Sal, Jo and Carlo, sorry if I've missed anyone out were so friendly. They couldn't do enough for you. Then there were the marvellous bar staff including James, Gio, Gennaro, Atoro, Fabioooo, and of course the wonderful Carmine. Again they couldn't do enough for you. The drinks were fab. The pool was so inviting and it was a wonderful place to relax, Luigi the waiter was very friendly and Roberto the pool man was also very friendly. There was a beautiful garden area where there were loads of seats in the shade and in the sun, there were also lovely hot tubs there. We went on 2 wonderful trips, on the Amalfi drive and the other to Pompeii, both brilliant and well worth spending on. These were both organised by Jane our Thomson Rep who was great.
The entertainment was excellent, and Emma and Pete were the singers. Emma had a beautiful voice, and they both complimented each other so well. We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday, for us it has been the best ever, and we have been lucky enough to book it again for next year. We can't wait. A hotel like the Nastro Azzurro deserves a great Manager, and it certainly has got one. Massimo was always around with a lovely smile every day and evening. Look forward to seeing him next year. We made some great friends while we were away, they included Keith and Jill, Billy and Val, also Derek and Denise and also Helen and Steve. Don't want to wish our lives away, but so looking forward to going back early June. Signing off now. Stuart & Linda Swansea.

4  Thank mosmith
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Chose this hotel purely on the reviews it has got on here previously, sounded amazing! However, it didn't live up to the expectations, but then it really does depend on where you have stayed before and what you are used to. There were lots of things that were good but then also things that were bad, which is why I've given an overall score of average
I'll start with the positives; The staff are fantastic, they are extremely friendly and really can't do enough for you. We had a slight problem with the room when we arrived, we asked if we could be moved but unfortunately the hotel was fully booked so it was not possible. Never the less the problem was dealt with efficiently and courteously by the reception staff. You are waited on hand and foot for the entire stay by the bar and restaurant staff who work extremely hard at all times. Being a coeliac on a gluten free diet for over 30 years I have often been made to feel like a nuisance by staff in many restaurants and hotels in the UK and abroad. However, I did not experience any problems what so ever in this hotel, in fact the staff in the restaurants often went out of their way to ensure that I was well looked after, offering to make me gluten free pasta and pizza, bringing gluten free bread and biscuits and even making me a gluten free packed lunch to take out with me one day. There was also salads, fresh vegetables and meat on offer every day that were gluten free, so I didn't go hungry which has been a problem in the past when I've gone on holiday.
The hotel and grounds are well kept. There are good views, especially from the sunset bar, which was definitely our favourite part of the hotel. The entertainment in the night is good (Pete and Emma are excellent).
And most of all, and I don't know whether the overall friendly, relaxed nature of the hotel and its staff contributes to this, but the other guests were really friendly too and we met some lovely people and made some fantastic friends.
Now for the negatives! :-( The staff really are lovely and very attentive but if you don't like people invading your personal space then beware of the two maître d's!!!!! I've seen other reviews from people on here saying how lovely it was that they kiss your hand to welcome you in to the restaurant, put their arm around you etc, so I feel mean saying it but I personally just found them pervy! I think that they need to take into account that not everyone likes that kind of thing and it can actually make some people feel uncomfortable.
We stayed in the Occhio Marino block, our room (Room 446) was clean and nice but small and then there was the problem I mentioned earlier, it was ants!! We had a lovely balcony outside our room looking out on to the sun terrace and gardens but inevitably it meant that there were insects about and they had managed to find their way into our room. To be fair though they came and sprayed the room straight away and our maid continued to do it every day when she came to clean to make sure they didn't come back. The other, more troublesome, problem was the noise! I have never ever stayed in such a noisy room! The block has marble everywhere so I don't know whether all of the hard surfaces meant that sound just bounced around the place but I was woken up every single night (and couldn't get back to sleep at all after the early risers got up from 6.00 AM onwards) by the sounds of other peoples' toilets flushing, people walking around, chairs being moved, phones ringing etc. It was bizarre, particularly the phones, it was so loud you would swear that they were in the same room! We met other people staying in the block and they hadn't experienced any problems, but some people next door to us were experiencing the same problem, so I think we just had bad luck and it depends on where within the block your room is. We complained and again asked about moving but because the hotel was full we were told that there was a chance we could move on the Friday when people left (We arrived Monday) and that they would arrange this, however this never happened. However, by this point, after four nights of sleep deprivation another guest had very kindly given me a pair of really good ear plugs which did the trick and we were leaving soon so we didn't pursue it any further. We were told by other guests that there are also parts of the main block that can be noisy at certain times.
We were also disappointed with the taste of the food, more so in the evening. The food is fresh, hot and there is lots of it but it just lacked any real flavour and on taste alone I would rate it as average. Everything seemed to be lacking in seasoning. Although on a gluten free diet I still like to eat nice food and we were hoping to experience a real taste of Italy but unfortunately this didn't happen. I understand that this is all inclusive and they have to cater for everyone and maybe they feel that us Brits don't like to be adventurous with our food but a few more traditional, extremely flavoursome Italian meals on the menu would have been nice. We had a far better experience of Italian food in the Italian restaurants in the El Dorado Royale in Mexico last year!!! Not really what you would expect. As I said earlier they couldn't be nicer about the whole gluten free thing, which I was very grateful for, but I didn't have much choice from the menu in the evenings and what I did have was usually a piece of dry, unseasoned, meat or fish with a few vegetables, which was fine, as I said I didn't go hungry, but it would have been nice to have a choice like everybody else and not just have to settle for what you are given. It would also have been great to be able to have some sauces (I can't stand dry boring food! ). I didn't eat anything from the buffet in the evenings as they couldn't guarantee the food was gluten free.
I think we have just been spoiled in the past as we have been to some places where the food really was to die for so as I said in my opening statement it just depends on what you are used to.

So in summary, nice hotel, great staff, the all inclusive is excellent as everything in Sorrento costs an arm and a leg and if you are on a gluten free diet it's great, yes there are a few things they could improve on but all in all they do a good job of catering for us. But.... some parts of the hotel are really noisy at night so beware if you are a light sleeper you may want to e-mail ahead and request a room in a quiet area of the hotel and if you are a bit of a foodie and you enjoy a meal in a good restaurant then you may be disappointed.

1  Thank P L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just returned from the nastro having stayed there for 1 week whilst attending a friends wedding and what can I say?........ Food was fantastic, good variation. Very clean, above my expectations, staff were very friendly and as soon as you had a finished your drink they were across to offer another. Basically nothing was to much hassle for any of the staff and they seemed to enjoy their jobs. I will definitely be returning in the future

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is remote however this is worth going the extra mile for. We have been to Sorrento three times now and this hotel has been the best so far. Freshly prepared pizzas are to die for, lunch selection is fab, evening meals well presented and sevren choices so not repetitive. Entertainment at pool was so good we thought we were listening to a cd!! One criticism has to be mentioned, sorry ... The drinks are not as displayed on the bottle... Not ballantynes whisky and we were not convinced other drinks were proper makes. However, very nice staff throughout the hotel and pool is beautiful just a bit cold beginning of june. Sunset bar has great views and rooms well furnished.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank chakawesley
Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you take five minutes to read other reviews, you will get the picture of this hotel. This review may be just a bit different. We are used to building a 'do it yourself' holiday. We book low cost flights, rent a villa, hire a car and mix cooking with dining out.

We wanted to experience the Amalfi Coast and so took the plunge and booked a 'package holiday' with some reservation.

The Nastro Azzurro, ticks all the boxes for being clean, fresh, handy (if you consider the shuttle bus) and reasonably priced.

What makes this place special, is the hotel team and the little things that they do to make you feel special.

We arrived around 10pm and had missed the main dinner session. Check in was as simple as handing in our passports and picking up a room key. We were then shown to the dining room to be treated to a great selection of food and a couple of bottles of wine (water was available) while our bags were taken to our rooms. Apparently, this is the way they do things.

From that moment on, everything we asked for was never too much trouble. Every time we wanted something it was done promptly, and with a smile. Every time we spoke to someone, they remembered us.

If you went hungry or thirsty during your stay at this hotel, then there is only one person to blame !!

Other reviews criticised the packed lunches. We found them to be good but there were no qualms when we topped them up with things from the breakfast buffet before heading out. So, once again - only one person to blame if you went hungry.

There is plenty going on with absolutely no pressure to join in. That goes for the evening entertainment as well. We sat just far enough away from the action to hear the music but close enough to the bar not to go without a drink from the attentive bar staff while enjoying conversations with other guests. The hotel staff provided impromptu cabaret on a couple of occasions. This added to the relaxed atmosphere that we enjoyed throughout our stay.

We would like to give this place a bad review only so that there will be more availability when we book our next visit !!!

Go with a love of Sorrento and come away with a love of Nastro Azzurro and the infectious team. Or should we say addictive team. Once you have been, you will want to go back again and again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 20 in Sant'Agnello
Villa Oriana Relais
Villa Oriana Relais
#3 of 100 in Sorrento

Been to Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro? Share your experiences!