“Wonderful Hotel - but beware the bath mats”

Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
cheshire
“Wonderful Hotel - but beware the bath mats”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for a week at the beginning of April. We went to our room at 2pm, to find that we did not have a balcony, which was clearly stated on our booking. We complained to Reception but were told that the hotel was fully booked and we could not be moved until the Friday.

On the first morning I went into the bathroom to take a shower, and placed the bath mat into the bath. As you had to enter the bath at the sloping end and the glass shower screen was fixed to the ceiling, wall and bath I held onto the sides of the bath as there weren't any grab rails. When I put my foot onto the bath mat, it slipped to the other end of the bath and I head butted the edge of the bath. I broke a front tooth and dislodged the two either side of this tooth.

The reception staff were very good, they got me an ice pack and arranged for me to go to the hospital by car, where I had to have 2 stitches in my lip - they couldn't do anything with my teeth :( The hotel then sent a car to pick us up again.

You could say that I was unfortunate, but on speaking to other guests, a lot of them also said that they had issues with the bath mats, so i would suggest that Thomson need to look at the Health and Safety issues at this hotel.

The staff were very good, they gave me ice for my ice pack whenever I required it, and they even gave me a straw with every drink by the end of the week :)

Apart from the issue with the bathroom (room 504) we found the hotel to be wonderful. The food was delicious, even though I couldn't try everything as I was restricted to what I could eat, because of my poor teeth :( But I did eat every sort of fish you could think of - and all were cooked to perfection :)

The pool was clean and the views were wonderful, it was just a shame that the water was not warm enough to be able to swim as it was still early in the season.

We spent a lot of time under the trees in the grounds, reading, stitching or playing scrabble, and the sun was quite warm, and we got a bit of colour :)

Breakfast was in the main restaurant, and was a buffet breakfast, with whatever you would like to eat.

Lunch was in the pool bar, with salads, pizzas(cooked in their own wood burning stove while you wait :) ) hot dishes, including chips if you want them. All sorts of desserts and ice cream or fruit Sorbets.

Dinner was in the main restaurant, with a salad buffet, and starters and main course choices served to your table. The desserts were a wonderful selection including fruit - if you wanted to be good :)

I feel that I missed out on trying some of the food due to the accident, and I think that I was possibly the only person who didn't put on weight when I got back home.

Some people have said that the waiters wer "flirting" - I would say that it was more "keeping the customer happy" than "flirting" - and as I was travelling with a friend and not my husband, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all - in fact, it was nice to be treated like a "lady" for a short while :)

I have no negative comments about this hotel, apart from the above on the bathroom and to say that as it has been stated on this site, that ALL rooms have balconies - they don't!!

Room Tip: Do not have room 504 - it is below the lounge which has a marble floor, and you can hear everybody w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank gilly_dragon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Hebrew first
london
Reviewed April 15, 2012

The Staff at this Hotel are excellent. Set in a scenic part of Sorento the view and gardens are a delight. This Hotel sets standards for others to follow. Clean, well groomed, friendly, smiles - always smiles, the staff are a joy to meet and greet everyday.
In many years of travel through a vast number of countries, I have never experienced a Hotel to such exacting standards. Would I return, you bet, only wish I never had to return home.
Excellent food, oh wow, just such a wonderful Hotel & Staff

Room Tip: Smile and the Staff are won over, willing to go the extra mile and beyond no matter what time of day...
7 Thank michael m
L'boro / Paris
Reviewed April 13, 2012

An all inclusive in the middle of nowhere may seem bizarre in the the home of med food and modern history but this will serve as a good base to explore local sites and an introduction to Italian food if that's what your after. If not, it's not the worse place to eat and drink yourself two stone heavier and enjoy stereotypical, flirting Italian waiters. 'Christian' invented a cocktail in the name of my wife and I'm sure he did the same the week before..!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank alexdoidge
wales
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Spent a week here in the beginning of april and it was fantastic. The staff are all very helpful and polite. The rooms are very clean and modern. The food is very good with evening meal waiter service and 4 course meal. All the drinks are brand names with many cocktails to choose from. Regular bus service to town free of charge.

3 Thank glider10
East Sussex
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We had a great relaxing week at this hotel which lived up to most of our expectations and exceeded others. The main plus is the food (and drink). Plenty of variety, waiter service at dinner and excellent quality. The best All-inclusive we've had in Europe with International branded drinks and cocktails included. The staff genuinely aim to please and we had no complaint with any of them - quite the opposite.

The pool looked lovely, though it was too cold during our stay to use it, though we did enjoy the sun loungers one day around the attractive pool area. The evening entertainment provided by D n' A was good quality and about right for low-key entertainment in the Lobby bar. The staff outdid themselves for the Black and White themed night, spending most of the day preparing by accessorising the dining room and bar.

We were slightly disappointed by the location of the hotel. We knew there was a shuttle bus, but having to book it ahead meant that it was less flexible than we would have liked, but it was a useful and free way to get into Sorrento in 15-20 mins. Interestingly, the weather was usually markedly better in Sorrento than up in the hills which caught more breeze and sea mist.

We found Thomson excursions expensive and by talking to others found DIY alternatives that were more flexible and much better value for us, e.g. in Sorrento you can get a cheap bus ride to Amalfi/Positano and trains to Naples for onward travel to Rome. We did do Thomson's Vesuvius and Herculaneum (half day each in one day) and found it very good, if expensive just for the coach journey and guide.

There were quite a few steps to get to the hotel pool and gardens and this did cause difficulty for those less mobile (in fact one lady broke her arm on the 1st day of her holiday).

Overall though we had a lovely time, met some very nice people and came home relaxed and happy.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main hotel which has been beautifully refurbished but didn't have our own b...
5 Thank musicmonkey1
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We returned to the Nastro Azurro in June 2011 after a lovely 10 days in 2010. After having met with other couples who had upgraded the previous year, we decided to take this option & were placed in the Occhio Marina building just by the side of the swimming pool. Our room was excellent with views to die for. Once again the staff were extremely helpful and assisted with our request to purchase flowers for friends who were celebrating their wedding anniversary, the flowers were delivered and shown to us before being placed in our friends' room to surpirise them on their return from a day trip. We would very happily recommend this hotel with its fantastic views, helpful staff and frequent courtesy bus into the centre of Sorrento which was always on time boh departing from the hotel & picking up in town. This hotel gives the best of both worlds - quiet & serene setting yet within a short bus journey of the hussle & bustle of the lovely town centre.

Room Tip: Upgrade - its worth the extra money
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jane H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as a group of 14 to celebrate a family 50th and had a fantastic time. The hotel staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for us, the food was delicious and the rooms were very comfortable and tastefully decorated. The grounds are beautiful and the view on a clear day is stunning. I cannot recommend this hotel too highly - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Best Western Hotel La Solara
Grand Hotel la Pace
Grand Hotel la Pace
#7 of 19 in Sant'Agnello

Been to Tui Sensimar Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro? Share your experiences!