“Great family run restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ristorante Zio Sam

Ristorante Zio Sam
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
missouri city, tx
“Great family run restaurant”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We visted Zio Sam and it was wonderful!! It was the one of only two restaurants we ate at twice. It is the area's low season and we were the only people in the restaurant, ohter than all the family of course! First night they were watching the football game and the second night a game show. They treated us like family and brought us complimentary snacks as we tried to decipher the menu. The standout dish was the linguine with the seafood that is cooked in foil. It was absolutely incredible and I am still trying to figure out how to make it!! The aranchini were also incredible. Some of the best we had in Italy. We did not try the pizza but the locals told us it was great. Do not miss out on this local gem. Do not expect speedy service it is more like family. When I asked for the bill the owner laughed and signaled no, he could tell my husband was into watching the game show! Later after the show he brought it. The house wine was a steal at 5 Euros a bottle.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Place”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Mariano at Hotel Mega Mare arranged dinner here for us. The owner picked us up at the hotel and brought us back after. Food and service were great. Food was delicious and very typical of the region.

Chicago, Illinois
“EXCELLENT food, service, view”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My hubby and I had the pleasure of dining here for a late lunch. We had a delicious caprese salad and fried, stuffed squashed blossoms, which I raved about. Then the charming owner/manager came over and asked if I liked figs. I shrugged and he brought over a plate of perfectly ripe figs, gratis. We devoured them and again I raved. As we were leaving, he brought out a covered dish of a half-dozen figs, telling me to take them as they were the last of the season. I ate those figs the next day, and will cherish that memory. How wonderful this place is. And the view!

• Visited October 2012
“Truly Italian Experience. Wonderful”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The restaurant was full of locals. An excellent sign. The bruschetta and stuffed courgette flowers were sublime. So much flavour in the tomatoes. The seafood linguine tasted so fresh and amazing. The pizza. Hello! You haven't eaten pizza until you have tried it from Zio Sam. Relaxed atmosphere. Family owned. Smiling faces everywhere and a wee limoncello snifter as a treat from the waiter. We will definitely go back in the next 4 days. Highly recommended restaurant! Couples. Perhaps share each course. Turned into a feast! Really wonderful find. Wait until you see the view from the terrace. Safe to say that my wife and I are big fans of this restaurant.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Piano di Sorrento, Italy: Delicious food and excellent service in spectacular scenery”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

During our week's holiday in the area my wife and I ended up eating at Zio Sam no fewer than four times (twice for lunch and twice for dinner). We were recommended this great restaurant by the owner of the hotel Mega Mare (which lies a ten minute drive up the road in Vico Equense) on our first night. We were collected by Mighele, who served us that evening. Later in the holiday we came here with a family who stayed at the same hotel as us and also my parents who came later. Zio Sam is situated almost on top of a hill surrounded by fig trees with spectacular views towards Meta, Piano di Sorrento and all the way to the Mediterranean Sea.

Blessed with the beautiful climate and easy access to the finest local ingredients at the highest quality chef Antonino and his colleagues know how to make some truly delicious dishes. Amongst the starters my personal favourites were the Insalata Caprese and Bruschetta. Whilst they are classical starters you can order in Italian restaurants around the world, I found that the access to local ingredients make all the difference. Amongst the main courses I went for the Linguine Cartoccio (linguine with fresh seafood, garlic and tomatoes wrapped up in tin foil) and the Risotto Pescatore. For dessert I can recommend anything with lemon, which locals claim to be their specialty. This can also be enjoyed in their world famous Limincello to accompany the espresso after the meal. To accompany the pasta we usually chose the local white wine, which has a slightly darker colour and fresh taste. In addition to Antonino and Mighele we were also introduced to Pasquale, who is Antonino's brother. He also served us and took us back to the hotel.

After a phenomenal week with four unforgettable visits to Zio Sam I would like to offer my sincere thanks to Mighele, Antonino, Pasquale and their colleagues for looking so well after us and for serving us the best food of the area.

• Visited September 2012