“Amazing all round! Rebooked within one week of coming home!”

Maria Rousse Studios
Ranked #1 of 79 Specialty Lodging in Malia
Epping, UK
“Amazing all round! Rebooked within one week of coming home!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Well, this is lengthy, but I cant do this place justice in one paragraph! I can't speak highly enough of this accommodation! Doesn't seem right to just call it accommodation really, as it is much more than that. I booked a last minute trip here with my cousin, I am 32 and she is 17. We went for two weeks and neither of us had been to Greece or any of the Greek Islands before, so didn't know what to expect.

We arrived in the middle of the night and Tony, the security guard, was there to greet us and show us to our rooms. You will see Tony strolling around the complex all night, every night, and he does give you a feeling of security. He's very friendly but also keeps people in check, so you feel secure knowing he's roaming around keeping an eye on everything.

The rooms were better than basic, quite spacious and exceptionally clean. We had plenty of wardrobe space, the kitchen area was handy for tea and coffee if you wanted it, and you could quite easily prepare a basic meal should you want to eat in. We didn't because there's such a variety of restaurants (including the one on the complex) where you can eat good food for good prices. The bathroom facilities were also better than expected, and also very clean. I actually think our bathroom was new. Overall I would say the room itself was perfect for anyone not expecting champagne on a lemonade budget.

The pool and bar area is really beautiful. I peeped at many other hotel / studio pool areas while in Malia and I can honestly say that Maria Rousse's was the best I saw. Again, it was all well kept, very clean and tidy. Just like the rooms. I was up with the cleaners every morning, waiting for the pool to open, and they are very friendly and hard working but easy to chat to. The bar opens around 8 - 8:30am (and closes at 1 - 1:30am) for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. The food at the bar is not haute cuisine, obviously, but is very good and there's plenty to choose from, so if you decide to stay on the complex to eat you'll not get bored of the menu. I recommend the Texas Chicken.

Barbara is at the bar all day, every day, along with her brother George. They are two of the nicest people I have ever met in my entire life. There is nothing they won't help you with. Almost every morning I sat with Barbara and had a drink and a chat before hitting the pool. These people are amazing. They make you feel like part of the family from day one.

I was quite poorly over there and Barbara helped me out a lot with medication and things I wasn't able to read. At one point there was a risk of me not being ale to fly home and when I spoke to her about it, she said it'd be no problem for me to stay in my room etc. Such nice people. Can't speak highly enough of them, Barbara in particular. George even went out of his way to message me and wish me a Merry Christmas!

The pool is outstanding and I didn't want to get out of it most of the time! Clean, cool and refreshing. It closes when the sun goes down and is cordoned off completely when the bar closes and Tony arrives for his night shift.

Maria Rousse is about 200 yards from the main strip. There's a large Spar supermarket within 5 mins walk, and a much smaller but very handy shop even closer, just outside the main entrance to the complex.

We did not encounter anything unsavoury at all in the entire two weeks we were there. I heard that there's a huge mosquito problem in Crete, well I think they must be invisible because I did not see or hear a single one. We did not see any violence while out on the strip, not a single bit of trouble.

The weather was amazing for the whole holiday (11th - 26th September), way up in the high 90's, sometimes easily topping 100 degrees. It is extremely humid in the rooms, but if you don't want to pay for air conditioning, it is bearable and you do get used to it pretty quickly. We didn't find it too bad really.

There are a few rules, which aren't unreasonable. You're not really supposed to take your room key off the complex, you leave it at the bar before you go out and Tony has it waiting for you when you get back. The reason behind this is that the keys are expensive to replace if lost as the key for the electricity in your room is attached to the room key.

You're not allowed to bring your own food and drinks to the bar / pool area, but it's so cheap that it's not really an issue, and you can always pop back to your room for lunch on the balcony if you want.

They are quite strict with people who are consistently noisy at night. You will get told off and possibly moved if you don't behave on the complex.

I would strongly advise people to avoid the quad bikes and mopeds at all costs. We did hear of many people being scammed when it comes to insurance etc, and they are SO dangerous. People do drive around drunk on them ALL day and night. At one point I saw a quad bike with five drunken idiots driving around like maniacs, and I've heard about several serious accidents involving quads and mopeds.

I honestly thought Malia was going to be absolutely insane, and if you wanted it to be, it was, but it was also nice to be able to enjoy the other side without having the madness in your face 24/7.

There are plenty of things to do, places to eat, drink and dance. The beaches are beautiful, the people are friendly, it's not expensive and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my stay here.

Places to try: Reflex 80's Bar. Gringos Mexican Restaurant. Sticky Fingers (American style diner). Banana Club. China Town Restaurant. Union Jack's. The Bull. There's plenty more, but you'll find them as you go on your merry way.

On our last night, Barbara made us all a lovely fruit salad with fruits she had picked fresh from trees growing on the complex, and shared a cocktail with us. Couldn't have wished for more hospitable people. Absolute legends.

I cannot wait to go back this year, I booked within one week of returning, then booked a second trip a few weeks later. Fell in love with this place. For the cost and the price I paid, this is bordering on luxury surroundings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Laura R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Came to Malia on July 24th with 4 other mates (all lads) and had the best time!

Got to the Maria Rousse Hotel at around 4pm local time. Barbara took our passports and gave us our keys and then George showed us to our rooms. The rooms are quite basic but very clean, not too outdated either. Tip: pay for the aircon! It gets boiling sometimes and it's awful when you're trying to get some kip. The gardens and what not were very well kept, chilling by the pool was the best after a mad night out but didn't really swim too much because I didn't usually leave bed till about 5pm haha. The balcony is perfect for pre-drinks before a night out, although George used to come round at 12 telling us to turn our music down with a laser pen lol. The security guard at night (Tony) is an absolute legend, don't be intimidated by his army gear! The pool bar's food is nice although a bit pricey, the Texas BBQ chicken is probably the best thing on the menu, along with the chicken gyros. The pool bar also has free wifi which is handy for facetiming/skyping people back home.

The location is perfect! Round the corner from a massive Spar for snacks and drinks (bottled water is so cheap so get a load). There's loads of restaurants and bars around the hotel to grab dinner/lunch. My favourite place to eat was probably this mexican restaurant (can't remember the name for the life of me), but it was a few doors down from the Spar. The hotel is also just at the top of the strip so far away enough to get some shut eye but close enough to have everything in walking distance. From the hotel to the strip is like a 2 minute walk and it's positioning is perfect for working your way down to the main clubs like Apollo and Candy etc. My favourite places on the strip were definitely Safari Club and Heaven Bar... Zoo was good also, really nice and played nice house music.

If I was to come back to Malia I'd 100% stay here again, the staff were so good to us and friendly. I'd recommend it to any group of 17-25 year old lads/girls going to Malia. p.s make sure you go on a booze cruise! best day of the holiday!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank BananaTrees1994
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

An amazing complex that feels like your miles away from the strip even though its only a five minute walk away.
Pool area is fantastic with a value for money bar with great food.

What really makes this complex great is the amazing and friendly staff and owners, they make you feel at home and the cleanliness is second to none, I have stayed in 5 star hotels that are not nearly as clean.
If in Malia don't stay anywhere else

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank NMG424
Manchester UK
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Always a pleasure to write something positive about a place; this is easy to do with Maria Rousse apartment hotel near Malia. Barbara and George and their staff are first class in ensuring their customers are well looked after.
Spotlessly clean rooms; super hot and forceful shower; nice pool area; well maintained property and grounds; excellent location midway between the madness of the strip and the tranquility of the Old Town - all the perks and none of the problems ! Buses easily available on the doorstep for travel to Heraklion to the West or Agios Nikolias to the East; not all that cheap though - 15.40 Euros return cost for two to either place ( 12 pounds 47p ) and about half that to anywhere in between; luxury buses though and usually busy with mainly Russian or East European tourists... Greek food at Maria Rousse was very good - especially the mousakka; burger and chips less brilliant; big tv screen sports coverage was appreciated for the important matches, as was the free WiFi in reception and bar areas. Absolutely nothing to complain about, and would recommend it for anyone to stay who wishes to visit Malia. The only teeny niggle was smoking being allowed in bar/restaurant area which occasionally made it difficult to enjoy the place.
Regret to say that the tour rep/s were pretty useless adn ill informed, even though the hotel and staff were great; so it didnt matter too much.
Some local restaurant reviews elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank galleon586
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

went sept 12 had a brill time would defo go again 4 of us went and really enjoyed it mum step dad me and hubby the staff couldnt do enough for us and goerges home made raki brill lol security make sure no noise after 12 pool ace main strip 3 mins walk beach about 10/15 mins walk but was nice our room was massive had 3 beds for 2 people patio in front and peppers growing
barbra who is owner made us a dish we couldnt find and wouldnt charge us big screens outside for the footy so men were happy lol all apartments are very clean i think this place should be 4*
pool is central and i would book this holiday quick

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wendy210363
helensburgh
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We just got back from a week in malia, I have stayed in many places in Malia and Maria Rousse was fab! There are some very Mardy reviews on here and lets not get it twisted, the rooms and self catering are basic but so is every room in every hotel in Greece this is there way and you also need to realize you get what you pay for and these holidays are all very cheap so your getting a good deal!
The pool is lovely just the right temp, the pool bar drinks and food is really good and the rooms are very comfortable.
The staff are all a credit to the hotel and do a fantastic job!! I as always had a fantastic time and can't wait to see my Malia family next year!!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank joanne H
burton on trent
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have just got back from the maria rousse and had a great holiday. i went with my mum so we were just after some sun, good fod and a rest. Got a little concerned when reading some malia reviews but was very happy overall with the accomodation and the location. I would advise non clubbers to take some earplugs though!!! The accomodation wasnt noisey but sometimes you heard the clubbers coming in a 6am. The old town had lovely tavernas traditional greek food lovely hospitality and very welcoming. Zorbas rooftop taverna was excellent and the food very good and plentiful. Karisema in the old town was supeb the greek potatoes with blue cheese was to die for. We werent impressed with Malia beach as you were packed like sardines so we walked to stalis in the day where you had a bit more room. Overall we had a great dtay in crete. The staff at the Maria rousse were lovely and they kept the apartment spotless

Room Tip: We overlooked the pool above reception and it was a gorgeous room