“Don't listen to bad reviews!”
Review of Real Palace

Real Palace
Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I went on holiday to Real Palace 21 June - 2 July. As we had read the bad reviews we were all nervous to come to the hotel and were all aware to be nice and friendly.
As we arrived we were encouraged to buy air con and a safe but were not forced.
Manos and Costas gave us a warm welcome but we weren't sure if they were just acting. However after a couple of days they were still their helpful, friendly selves.
They would go out their way to help us. Originally we had two rooms on the bottom floor and one on the top, however we asked to get moved beside our friends and they were more than happy to do so.
Vladimir the security guard would be waiting for you to come home at night and would let you in your room if you forgot your key. Reading the reviews I expected him to be this big scary man, however he is the complete opposite and it really friendly.
The hotel was extremely clean, the pool side was nice and never too crowded.
The food was really good also.
It is close to the main strip, I would say about 10 minutes walking to the strip at night was fine but I would suggest you get quad bikes because during the day the walk to the strip is too hot.
To conclude I genuinely don't get the bad reviews because we had an amazing time.

2  Thank RowanIreland

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Where do I start on a terrible week in malia... manos and costas are generally pleasant if you pay their overpriced charges and all in all what appears to be a nice fairly priced hotel in malia turns out rather costly for what you actually get on the first night manos greeted us and told us he has a bigger room for us rather than 2 obviously stating this was in our benefit to find a 3 bed room at max had 4 cramped single beds with filthy mattresses on the first night he will ask you for whatever he thinks he can take you for we paid 30 euros each for air con and 10 each for a safe with a one key fits all in the hotel defeating the objective of it being safe, to then find on the wall of the room that he took us all away from when first going in this should of been 75 in total not 40 each and total cost 160! I also have to mention the fact the rooms don't have toilet roll when we discovered this thinking the cleaner had simply forgot but no apparantly it's 0.50cents each time! in my eyes this is a necessity and should be there, rooms were not cleaned all week and no clean sheets/towels! manos will get upset if you don't buy food or drinks from the bar in his words "you not like me or something" I might also add it's not a million miles from the strip as others have stated its a sober 10 minute walk however the road that leads to it is a locals road with an angry garage owner and sewage works and for some bizarre reason they all seem to leave dogs out at night making it quite a dangerous walk back in that respect! the setting of the hotel is nice but manos will con you out of as much as possible although this is like all of the people I met in Crete and very few are friendly towards the English tourists that fund their economy so I won't ever return to Crete I've been to much pleasanter greek islands!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Adamp1501
Reviewed July 13, 2014

11 of us stayed at Real Palace for a week at the end of June/early July. The pool was always clean and well maintained, the bar was well priced drinks wise but food was a little expensive! Rooms were basic but were perfect for what we required. Wifi was free but a bit temperamental at times, probably due to demand.
Only downside we found was the safety deposit boxes, when recommended to purchase one, we did, but we found that our key opened everyone else's boxes too, meaning that it was not very secure at all. As a result we tried to get a refund on the money we paid, but when we asked Manos, one of the owners, he claimed that he had already paid tax on our payment so could not offer us a refund (It was 1am Greek Time!). Added to this the fact that if you do come to Malia, you'll realise hardly anyone pays taxes anyway! However apart from this everything was great at Real Palace, we managed without air con so if you're looking to save money, try the first night or so without air con! Finally, a few reviews on here say it's a long walk to the strip, it really isn't, I'd say 10-15 minutes to get to the main strip, nothing more.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank WillRanson
Reviewed July 4, 2014

No complaints at all. Stayed at the Real Palace for a week, and could not have wished for a better hotel. Rooms were ideal for myself and my friends. The food was good and cheap. Personally recommend the milkshakes, they were divine in the heat. Pool was well maintained and cool. Best quality of the hotel, and what made my stay so much better, is the men who run it, Costas and Manos. Both of whom were always friendly, talkative, and helpful.

Fantastic place to stay

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank TomLongden
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We had a bit of misfortune in our first hotel and was welcomed with open arms by Manos and Costas at Real Palace. I genuinely cannot say how much they did for us, cheap yet classy and the friendliness goes beyond what you'd expect. Good for all ages but cater very well for younger parties! Thanks guys, we may well be back next year!

2  Thank MathewLomax
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went on holiday with 5 friends all 18.
From the moment we got there to the day we left Costas and Manos made us feel so welcome.
Even coming back in the early hours of the morning we were treated fairly and told politely to keep the noise down
Food is good quality and the hotel is always clean.
It is a short walk to the strip but I would suggest getting quads if you want to go down in the day as the heat can make the walk painful.
Thank you Manos and Costas for the best holiday I have had.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a bit of trouble with our first hotel in Malia so the real palace hotel took us in with nothing but genuine kindliness and welcomed us to the hotel and people that stayed there with also offering us a great deal for the rest of our stay, I recommend this to any age range, there was five of us aged 21 and was welcomed from all ages, manos and Costas the two owners made our stay one to never forget, definitely 5 star stay and made our first lads holiday brilliant I would not hesitate to go back

2  Thank Aaronbuckley21