“Excellent hotel situated on a lovely sandy beach”
Review of Cretan Malia Park

Cretan Malia Park
Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just got back from two brilliant weeks at this wonderful hotel, we arrived at 10.00pm and were immediately offered a meal and drink that was very welcome after the journey. Our room was situated overlooking the lazy river pool with a view of the sea,we spent many evenings sitting on the balcony with a drink - very relaxing. Room was kept very clean, comfortable beds linen changed every other day, towels and beach towels as and when required. Long sandy beach, plenty of sun beds with parasols,lovely view across to the harbour. When it got too hot on the beach ,move over to the beach bar for a welcome drink and snack under the shade.
The pools were well situated, though a bit cold ! We especially liked the lazy river pool as its was quieter and we did sit on the loungers on the hard standing , they were very comfortable. We also used the other pool which was equally as good but there were more people in and around it. We did sit by this pool a few times and enjoyed being able to move around the hotel and try all locations. Entertainment at the hotel was as has been previously described but there were two new members of the animation team that arrived during our second week, and we spoke with Anna and Ricardo who assured us that they would be changing some of the evening entertainment now. They made one change during our second week where the animation team did a performance which was good.Anna worked tirelessly , she was at breakfast making fruit yoghurt drinks and Greek coffee, then onto "nordy walking" which my husband took part in several times, they walked around the area taking in places of interest. Then she moved on to water gym, then evening entertainment, lovely girl full of enthusiasm.
Food was excellent quality with plenty of choices from the buffet at breakfast, lunch,and dinner also tried both al a carte restaurants which were very good, the Greek restaurant has a lovely lookout over the beach and we watched the sun go down over dinner.
During the day drinks and snacks could be had at the beach bar or the pool bar then in the evening the lobby bar opened, as mentioned by others sometimes there could be a wait to be served, Yannis was excellent he remembered us by name and room number and what we drank from day one!! We found that if the wait got too long we just ordered at the bar - no problems. Aris worked very hard and on his night of the others struggled. More staff here also arrived during our second week, Jenny from Hull - good luck in your new job.
All in all we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday in this lovely hotel and we will definitely consider coming back.
We didn't do any of Thomsons trips as we felt they were very over priced. We went out of the hotel turn left and picked up the "happy train" and took a trip up to Mochos which was a very pleasant day out. they also run trips to Krassi and a round trip to hersonnisis look at the board in the riad for details.We also walked into Malia which is about a twenty minute walk, the old town is definitely worth a visit, we walked around in the day time it is well worth seeing. Take time to visit the main church here it is stunning.We went back for an evening meal on our last night which was very atmospheric.
We got a local bus into Agios Nikolaos for a walk round a beautiful town, there are some lovely shops and its particularly picturesque by the lake.
We walked round to Malia port a few minutes from the hotel and picked up a boat trip that took us along the bay to Malia, stalis, hersonissos , and St George's bay where there was the opportunity to go snorkelling and see the fish. Lunch was served on the boat with free drinks, then the boat sailed down to Sissi another beautiful little town.
The hotel has its own cat cafe where you are able to feed the hotel cats, they all look very healthy and have all been neutered, very refreshing to see this attitude towards the cats inn a Greek island , there is a donation box in reception towards their care.
The hotel is also very actively involved in protecting the local environment. All in all a very good visit.

Room Tip: We had a pool view room, the pool side rooms with direct access onto the lazy river pool looked nice...
7  Thank sallyBLondon
MALIA PARK H, Guest Relations Manager at Cretan Malia Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear sallyBLondon

thank you for sharing your impressions with other travellers around the world.
We are very happy to hear, that you absolutely enjoyed staying with us and spent a great holiday in our hotel.
Hopefully you will visit us again someday in the nearest future.
Best regards

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was afraid about my next stay in Creta. I had no very good experience with my stay in Greece in the past. But my tour operator (TUI) ensured me that this hotel and surrounding was very good, even for the most demanding customers, and received very positive opinions. Everything is true !!! The hotel is fantastic, situated in a beautiful park and botanic garden, very close to the wide beach, with nice sand. The hotel and its surrounding is very quiet, so this hotel is the most convenient for fiends or families with older children. Service fantastic and very friendly ! Food very good and diversified. During our short stay there were: Asian, Latin, Portugal and Spanish evenings. The room was beautiful and very practically equipped. There is nothing to criticize !! I will come back for sure and recommend to all my friend :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it. Location wise it's nigh on faultless, being sited right on a lovely wide sandy beach and just a little over 2km from the centre of Malia - which means you are far enough away from the night-time noise of the notorious "Malia Strip" but close enough to take a leisurely stroll to the resort, if so minded; Malia old town is worth a visit.
One of the big plus points of the beach, apart from it having it's own bar, is that the loungers and coconut matting 'umbrellas' have no hire charge.
The main hotel buildings and its' bungalows are sited in extensive and immaculately tended gardens.
The rooms are very clean, nicely appointed and have the free use of a safe, TV, a fridge and tea making facilities.
The bungalows are in reality 2-floored buidlings, as mentioned by previous reviewers. We were allocated a ground floor room in a quiet part of the complex, which we had hoped for. If you are given a first floor room it may be that you find the balconies are a tad on the small side.
The food is very good with wide choices and the dining areas are laid out well; I particularly liked the outdoor dining space.
The layout of the swimming pools, lobby bar and outdoor seating areas are impressive with plenty of seating provided.
There are a couple of things, however, which must be causing concern to the hotel management.
Firstly, the entertainment is, sadly, very poor; one night of being entertained by Greek dancers (very good) and another night by a live group (excellent) - and as far as professional acts are concerned, that is it; the rest of the week is mainly about bingo and quizzes - this cannot be right for a Thomson 4star-plus a la carte hotel.
Also the hotel encourages guests to order their drinks via a waiter instead of going upto the bar themselves, which can lead to long delays between drinks; no fault implied to the waiters - there are just two of them and they do a fantastic job under the circumstances. The hotel need to employ more staff, and quickly.
However, much more positives than negatives. We had a great time at a very fine hotel.

5  Thank Trainsboatsandplanes
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Visited in May 19th/26th 2013. We were really surprised at how small the hotel felt, cosy and laid back but still had over 200 rooms/bungalows. Everything look so clean and well looked after. One of the most attractive hotels and grounds I have stayed in.
The pool areas were a little bit of a puzzle to work out where you can go and what you can use depending if you are A1 or HB, or have a swim up room.
The main pool is beautiful surrounded with pine,fern trees and shrubs. The sun loungers were dotted round the grassed pool grounds and I think that was one of my bug bears, there were no hard standing areas for loungers around the pool so great for the midgey's and bugs to have a feast., we kept well away.
Then there was a 'Lazy River' half way down the complex towards the beach which incorporated small hard standing areas with fancy uncomfortable looking sun loungers some with fixed parasols and some not. We didn't know if we could use these or if they were reserved for the bungalows with swim up access from the 'Lazy River',so we gave them a miss too.
As we were AI customers we couldn't use the bar/restaurant at the side of 'The Lazy River' this was for half boarders to keep them segregated from everybody else at lunchtimes only. I thought this very odd.
So it was down to the gorgeous beach and beach bar a stones throw away.
Loads of free beds on private sandy beach in a secluded bay with a lovely life guard who was a hit with the older clientele and Giorgos who runs the beach bar. Giorgos is a laugh, very dry sense of humour but after a few days we were having a blast, I kept him on his toes with drink orders.
Our room in one of the bungalows (a block of 8 rooms), was of the usual standard, very clean and extremely quiet despite there being families in the rooms below. However, I was a bit disappointed in the size of the bathroom.
The taps were positioned on the side of the bath with a shower connection hose on top stretching across to the shower head at the end of the bath. You would have thought the taps would have being positioned underneath the shower head, or is it just me being picky?
We had a few minor issues with the room and when we approached reception over these they were resolved within an hour or so every time, top marks to the staff and team there. But I must say all the pillows we received were awful and I am fussy with pillows and didn't get much sleep due to them, that's me again.
The food was your typical Greek buffet on a little bit smaller scale than we are used to seeing, I think due to being a smaller hotel but still very nice and you only occasionally felt that everybody had come to eat at the same time and we always got a table.
The A la Carte restaurants were nothing special to shout about, we were allowed once a week in the Greek and Italian, it was nice just to be served at the table.
The lobby bar was the only place to sit and drink on an evening with free wifi, the entertainment wasn't our cup of tea, I agree with other reviewers on that. Yiannis one of the waiters serving at the lobby bar was funny and always singing and it is true he looks the spitting image of Super Mario, we told him this and about some other reviewers who had commented on trip about him, he was well chuffed. However, he wasn't that super when we wanted another drink. You were making your own entertainment all night trying to get more drinks after the first one, he wasn't the only one they were all the same I may ad, and if you went to the bar for another after waving like an idiot they will say 'sit down and we will bring you a drink.' Ha !!!
All in all good hotel and staff, all without exception were helpful & friendly. A a few niggles I thought that knocked it down a star but I would still go back. It's on my list for a revisit sometime which in my books is good, we don't have many of those, especially when there are so many places to go to in Greece.

Room Tip: We heard hotel rooms were as good as bungalow rooms, but pool view rooms in hotel seem to be the bes...
1  Thank painterman007
Reviewed May 28, 2013

lovely holiday in a lovely location. So good to have a beach right on the edge of the hotel grounds. Food superb, everywhere very clean and staff so obliging,daytime activities enjoyable too. Got 1p upgrade to all inclusive so brilliant value. Only reason I didn't give it top marks was because there weren't enough professional acts in the evening. Only two a week. We have had much more in other hotels of similar standard. The ones we did have were very good though.
We hardly strayed from the hotel in a fortnight, so that says it all!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a sea view room on the beach as the original one did't get sun in the afternoons.
4  Thank JaneKane

Dear JaneKane,

Thank you very much for your nice review, concerning your holidays in our hotel.
It is very helpful to receive positive comments as well as suggestions in order to improve our hotel.

We are happy to hear, that you have spent a great time with us.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Visited in August 2012 for the third time and the Cretan Malia Park was as superb as always! Plenty of loungers, goodfood and pristine pools. We have always stayed half board which has meant that we often have lunch at the pool bar. Portions here are very good so you are able to share a sandwich etc between two quite easily if you wish.

My one gripe would be that sometimes salad dishes had meat (ham, mostly) in unnecessarily and this was not listed as ingredients on the food labels - as a vegetarian i found this a bit annoying.

The entertainment isn't great but seemed to draw a fairly big crowd each night. Boules on the beach was always fun. There is a lovely bar down the road called Violets (down the hotel driveway, turn left and walk straight for approx. 3 minutes - the bar is on your right). Drinks are more reasonably priced and the service is relaxed and friendly - excellent.

Whilst this hotel is child friendly I wouldn't recommend it for families with young children.

I have read some reviews in which holidaymakers say they didn't enjoy Thomson's Spinalonga trip - I found it very enjoyable (I enjoyed it so much we have done this twice). The 4x4 jeep trip is also very good.

I particularly enjoyed the cat cafe situated outside the front of the hotel!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are lovely and much cheaper than the bungalows. The garden (or sea?) view rooms loo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AlixBrown

Dear AlixBrown,

thank you for your so valuable comment, concerning your latest holidays in our hotel.
We are glad to hear, that you spent a relaxing and joyful holiday here on Crete, in our resort.
We consider our guests feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The whole holiday was brilliant from start to finish. We had VIP passes at the airport from Thomsons that we didnt expect which was a great start to the holiday and the taxi transfer was so quick. We stayed in the main hotel which was lovely, the bungalow rooms looked really nice aswell. The hotel itself was everything that we expected, all the staff were brilliant, food was good, my only niggle there would be they were a bit slow replinishing the trays when they were empty, and the show cooking chef did struggle to keep up. It was lovely to be served bottled wine in the restuarant and not have to go to the normal pumps to serve yourself. It was a strange set up with all of the different boards and no wrist bands but it worked perfectly. The quality of drinks was much better than your normal AI, dont normally do cocktails but had a go at working my way through. Spent most of the time on the beach which was so spacious, couldnt get my head round the pool set up, you just seem to get a bed and put it wherever you wanted on the grass, which was nice if you wanted some shade, there were no real sunbed areas to lie in. There was always plenty of beds at any time of the day, no need to reserve, although we did see 2 beds with towels on for 4 hours and when they came back they only used them for an hour and to make it worse they were British. My other comment was that at lunch time the only place to eat was the main buffet, there was a pool bar but that was mainly for half board guests and carried a charge. The two outside entertainment acts were really quite good and think I will leave it at that, it is really though more of a hotel to sit and chill. My one gripe is the rip off price of the excusions, we did go to Spinnalonga, glad I did the trip but wished I had sourced it elswhere, definatly not what we expected. Went for 10 days and could have stayed some more, if your going you have picked a lovely hotel, enjoy!

2  Thank jefferlog

Dear jefferlog,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Cretan Malia Park.
We were delighted to read that you were happy with your choice. Your constructive comments regarding our restaurants have been taken on board and are much appreciated.

We would like to take the opportunity and clarify why our all inclusive guests have their lunch in the Main Restaurant and not in our Pool Restaurant.
All our guests have booked meals in buffet style. For a la carte meals there are extra charges for all guests (Half Board and All Inclusive). Unfortunately our Pool Restaurant, as an open air outlet does not support the buffet option, due to health and food safety reasons.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort for another relaxing experience.

Your Cretan Malia Park Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
Royal Heights Resort
High Beach Hotel
High Beach Hotel
#8 of 91 in Malia
Drossia Palms Hotel Studios

Been to Cretan Malia Park? Share your experiences!