“Homely, inviting and great food and hospitality”

Malia Star Family Tavern
Ranked #31 of 83 Restaurants in Malia
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our 30year experience guarantys you a perfect meal. Here you will find the Greek hospitality and Homemade tastes in good prices.
Reviewed August 13, 2014

My partner and I stumbled upon Malia star in a very hot afternoon in August whilst wandering around trying to get away from the midday sun, this was a welcome respite, what first caught our eye was the lovely tables on the other side of the road lined with olive trees and wooden tables with blue and white table cloths, it really was very cute, however when we seen the main taverna, we decided to go in there and it was lovely, in a blue and white sea theme, with drapes over painted wooden ceiling, immediately cooling, I felt instantly at home.

The owners son, whom I just realised I forgotten to get his name was instantly lovely to us, chatting away, telling us local stories and sayings, served us a couple of really cold beers and some fruit, we whiled away a couple of hours and then decided to return a couple of days later for evening food.

The evening we spent here was unrivaled in our weeks visit for hospitality, serving us really greek food, I asked them to decide what starters to give us, that we wanted greek food and they did not disappoint, we had meat balls, cheese pies, spinach pies, tzatiki, dolmades, and then for main, I had Klefteko and my boyfriend had mussels, all of the food was fantastic, really lovely Greek flavours and the staff just chatted away whilst we ate, but not at all invasive.

It rained a tiny little bit and the whole family came out to rush the furniture in to less exposed areas undercover, this was great for us as we are from Scotland and found it so funny, it was hardly any rain at all, but I guess in Greece they are not so used to this in August, in running around helping (which by the way, we did not at all have to do, it was just fun), we chatted more to the family and they were so lovely to us, declaring "Raki time" on us, serving us some Raki with Greek honey, joining in with us shouting "Yammas" and telling yet more stories we were asking about life here.

All in all, this place was just so good, we felt really welcome and part of the family,we went to say goodbye on our last day and were given some family olive oil and herbs to take home to cook with, this place really made our holiday, a piece of the Greece we were looking for.

Highly recommended, visit, stay a while.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

My GF and I stopped here two times for afternoon coffee, tea, and desserts after spending the day at the beach near the Malia archeological site. Nikkos was very warm and friendly to us as soon as we walked in. Everything they served us was fresh and very good. If we had been staying in Malia I would have definitely eaten lunch or dinner there.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

3 visits to malia in 2011, 2012 and july 2014. Went to eat here approx 15 times during the time. Family run, they make you feel welcome, and the food is great value and tastes great. I will miss this place greatly and wish them all the best for the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Yesterday on arriving on Crete we took a detour on the way from the airport to our holiday villa, just to have a meal at the Malia Star and we were not disappointed.
We have known Dimitris, Marina and Nico for more years than any of us care to remember and in all that time Dimitris has, in our opinion, been the best chef on Crete.
The trouble with that is we judge every other meal by his standard and believe me, that bar has been set very very high.
If you go to Malia Star, do try one of the delicious Greek dishes on the menu, you are in Greece after all and who better to cook a Greek dish than a fabulous Greek chef?

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Family run, mouth watering food, excellent service, don't miss out, the best in Malia, (or just outside Malia)