TripAdvisor
Malia
Post
Inbox
Search

“Uninterested service, average food”
Review of Kreta Taverna

Kreta Taverna
Ranked #36 of 99 Restaurants in Malia
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriend and I decided to come here after looking at the menu as I wanted to try a traditional goat’s dish.

We arrived at 10pm and even though the restaurant closed at 00.30am according to the sign at the door, we asked if they were still serving.

Initially everything was fine and they sat us down and gave us menus.

My girlfriend wasn’t very hungry so she decided to have the starter Octopus whilst I had my goat dish.

The older gent/waiter who served us was sitting on a different table with some people who seemed like family of friends.

When asked about the Goat’s dish, he told me it was cooked in tomato sauce. When I asked if the dish was best served with chips or rice, he said chips straight away.

Well, it wasn’t, when the food arrived it was obvious that it should’ve been served with rice or baked potatoes as it was stew-like.
It just felt like he was lazy to make me some rice at that point in the evening.

When my girlfriend ordered the octopus starter, he asked if that was it as there was nothing else on the plate.
I thought that this was a bit strange as this dish was €12.50 which was actually €2.80 more expensive than my goat dish.

We ordered some bread while we waited and some drinks, but it came out with unsalted butter which I found odd.

He wasn’t lying though. When the food arrived, the Octopus was by itself on a place with a vinegar-y dressing.
This honestly looked a bit sad.
Every other restaurant we went to, all dishes came out with at least a little garnish of cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes or something! For a €12.50 dish, I expected much more.

The goat dish tasted like brisket beef stew - in case you were wondering - I wouldn’t bother trying it again based on this experience.
It definitely called for rice and not fried chips, so that was disappointing.

Overall we didn’t feel welcome here.
They made us feel like we didn’t spend enough and like we were bothering the staff who wanted to hang out with the people at the other table.
We have had much better food and service in Malia.
Never coming back.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (282)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were staying very close and thought we would try as it looked very authentic. Nice touch having the menu on our side of the rd to so we could check it out b4 crossing the busy rd.
The rd turned into a problem for us the noise of traffic from that and then a back rd running right behind the garden spoilt the atmosphere.
We waited ages for menus between courses getting the bill. Only 1 waiter who either read or chatted to other guests.
The bread with the dips was very crunchy mayb slightly of.
After a desert which was very limited in choice due to his stock we were given melon but no rakki which others had received!
Wouldn’t recommend to be honest.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Have eaten at this restaurant several times on visits to Crete including two Anniversary meals.The food is delicious and all freshly cooked.Prices are reasonable.It is a relaxing restaurant and can be very busy.Some of the best dishes are liver,cheese balls and feta from the oven.George the owner is a great host and waiter.Wouldnt go to Crete without having a meal here.

1  Thank julie186487
Reviewed September 14, 2019

Very nice, authentic place.
Nice show in the streets near and good environment.
in authentic greek village

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank jacky5555
Reviewed September 9, 2019 via mobile

Weren't sure what to expect after reading previous reviews but thought we'd give it a go. Yes, it's near to a busy road but the traditional Greek music masks that and the interior is quaint but they have those really uncomfortable chairs. If you don't mind being ignored as soon as you arrive then you'll enjoy some good food. We were seated and then had to wait 5 minutes before we were offered a menu or a drink, as waiter was busy sat at a table with other guests! We didn't order starters but were brought bread and dips which were added to the bill. The kebabs were excellent. We weren't asked if we wanted a dessert but we're brought a selection of melon, again added to the bill! I got impression he wanted rid of us so he could chat to people he knew. The food was excellent, prices reasonable even with hidden extras but the service was dire. It's up to you if you give it a go.