“Fantastic rooms. Great location”

Golden Sun Apartments
Ranked #24 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Malia
Bristol
“Fantastic rooms. Great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had stayed at these apartment many years ago and went back this year whilst island hopping. We had read that the rooms had had a makeover but were still surprised at the complete transformation on arrival. WOW!!! Our room overlooked the pool and had a large balcony. The room was spotless with clean towels and a well equipped kitchen area, not that it got any use!! A short walk from the apartments there are tavernas bars and supermarkets.The Malia strip is a short walk away and the beach 20 minutes,close enough to enjoy,yet far enough to get a good nights sleep. Also has a nice pool area with sufficient sunbeds and snack bar, again we found it to be well maintained and clean. The prices were very reasonable too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

These apartments are great in every way. They are in an ideal location, very close to the centre yet just far enough away from the hustle and bustle. A bus stop is close by, which we found great to get around the island, and the beach just a short stroll away.
The apartments were very clean and well looked after, and the pool area was great , with plenty of sun-beds and a good choice of snacks from the café bar.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, and couldn't do enough for us.
Would definatly return here, and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: you will not be disappointed!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here two weeks ago. We have visited this hotel a few years ago and have been really satisfied.
This year it was even better. Our room has been totally renovated, everything was beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helpful, also the security. The food at the pool bar was good and the prices very low. The music wasn’t too loud and a good mix of current charts. Furthermore, the location is perfect: the beach, supermarkets, restaurants and the strip are easy to reach by feet.

As to the bad comment from another user here, I cannot believe it!! I would say, if you are nice to other people, they are nice to you as well. And don’t forget: these are “apartments” and no 5*-hotel, so you can’t expect receptionists at 4:30 am to lead you to your room and carry your bags or whatever. Besides, using the aircon is really not difficult! And we didn’t notice any of the other “problems” that have been commented here either. AND there were no signs of a fire…

However, me and my boyfriend can totally recommend the “Golden Sun”!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great value, close to the main strip if your looking for cheap and cheerful this hotels the one 6 of us went malia, we had two rooms between us! If ill be honest room 212 is the best.. Omg that balcony breeze at night :D have fun!!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in! I realise people say you get what you pay for but i paid £440 and would have been better sleeping in a carboard box on the Malia Strip.

We arrived early hours of the morning 4.30am and was met by a rather rude security lady, she showed us to our room, well when i say show she just pointed and said here - didnt show us how to work the air con worked so we had to go without this.

Upon first look the room was adequate. Clean, Tidy and self catering . However we didnt have any blankets it was literally a bottom sheet on the bed- i decided to sleep with my towel over me as i later discovered where the so called blankets were stored ( in the open air by the bin)

During the day there was so atmosphere around the pool , i went into the swimming pool for a dip , the water felt slimey and unclean , we then noticed various rubbish at the bottom of the pool - the same rubbish continued to stay there throughout our week stay - the pool , pool toilets aswell as pool shower was never cleaned.

If you are eating please skip this next part because the toilets of the pool were so disgusting i could not believe it had been kept like this. Thick grime/feaces all over the toilet and toilet walls my friend informed me of this - i couldnt look because id be sick.

There was music - but it was in another lanugage which no one could understand.

During our first night i was drying my hair when i noticed the light switch was smoking. We both ran out and called the emergency number that was up in the reception window. The Handy man came and told us not to use the plug socket as thats where most heat was coming from. We went out for dinner came back and switched the lights on the whole room flashed electric blue and all the lights went out this is now 12 oclock at night with no power and no lights. We rang the man again and he came back saying would we like to change rooms we agreed it was for the best because we obviously felt unsafe in that room. ( he said he would have it fixed tomorrow - however later that day new arrivals were in that room) They also later took down the emergency number so if anyone else needed they would have no one to contact during the hours of 7pm - 3am ( and the security lady wont call anyone either)

Our new rooms air con leaked on to the electric phone. & everytime we pulled an applicance out of the socket the whole Wall socket wouldcome out. The hotel we went to as we refused to stay here said there had been a fire early last year in the Golden sun

The air con machine which is a Euro an hour for air con and you can only put a max of 2 euros in at a time. Took numerous amount of my coins of which that had to give me back only because i complained so much.

On our last night my friend came back about 3am to find an argument between the security lady and a guest. He had been sick and asked her if there was access to any water so he could clean it up, the Guard said no backed him in to a corner and was trying to hit the guest with her bat. My friend started screaming and luckily other hotel guests came back.

There is no sign around the pool or in the hotel that says you have to been in your rooms by 6.30 am a group of friends we had met was alll outside talking she is now shoving and pushing us all screaming telling us to return to our rooms. - iif you want to feel like your in a strict boarding school stay here.

CHECKING OUT - the man checks the room and tried to blame us for his faulty in his hotel - i said if he was going to try and make us pay for this then he had another thing coming.

This is by far the worst hotel in malia so much so when we told people where we were staying they laughed. Im surprised that this hotel is not out of business yet - i hope it does go out of business before someone gets hurt here.

HOWEVER WE DID FIND A REALLY NICE HOTEL WHERE THE STAFF WERE LOVELY AND WELCOMING ALL THE THINGS THE GOLDEN SUN IS NOT

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sophie C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I loved these apatments came with 2 friends you get what you pay for for people here for the night life its perfect close to nightlife but far enough for a peaceful sleep
aircon was easy to use a euro per hour you just go outside and pay with the machine on the wall outside, deposit box in room
Never used the pool as liked going to the beach everyday which is about 20 minute walk
Its basic but if your young just want some where decent to sleep and get ready this is the place!
oh and Pizza place 2 minutes up the road do the best pizza for food after a night out :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nikole26
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Upon arrival there was a note on reception door giving me directions to my hotel room notifying me that my room was open. Eventually me and my friends found our room on our own, in the middle of the night... Not ideal!! The key was slotted in the electric slot but no lights were on. Upon settling in, the room became worse and worse as I will go on to explain.
I nicknamed the room ' the sweat box,' the air-con was atrocious and the windows didn't even let light in. On one of the reviews on here it states "every room had a balcony" Not room 15 - a room around the back with 1 window which might as well not be there, we had no where to hang our clothes out to dry. The sheets weren't changed the whole time we were there and our room wasn't cleaned once.. the floor wasn't swept either (like one of the other reviews on here states)
I had to request towels as we weren't given any for the first 5 days, it was only when another guest at the hotel mentioned their towels that we were aware we were supposed to get any at all!!
On the first day my friend entered our apartment for less that 30 mins and I was charged 30 Euros. The female receptionist was rude and blunt when she came banging on my door urgently demanding the money that I wasn't even aware I had to pay!!
I have a total of 96 ant bites on my legs and bum, as we had ants in our room and BEDS!!!! The bathroom flooded every time we used the shower leaving a dirty layer across the whole floor.
I didnt use the hotel pool once it looked vile and dirty. Luckily the hotel across the road allowed us to use their pool and facilities (Danelis Apartments - where I will be staying next time I visit Malia!!)
The manager of the hotel was rude and ignorant and I found him VERY patronising.
I've never been so glad to leave a hotel in my life!!
For ever hour you want the air con on you have to put 2 euros in the meter by the pool, if you take out the 'magic key' from your room the air con goes off regardless if you have paid for it or not. The machine also only takes 1 euro coins and the maximum you can put in at one time is 2 euro. My friend put 3 euros in and it turned it off! - SKANKS!
Saying that this hotel is terrible is a compliment.
The security guard is rude and blunt every night asks the same question and when you tell him your room number and name he asks again, he rang a translator one night because I asked if my friend had returned to the hotel before me, very difficult to communicate with and very rude!
In my friends room there was what I cant even describe as a camp bed it was 2 pieces of wood with a strip of foam over acting as a bed, they said it was because one of the guests had booked on after the others - we all booked on at the same time!!
The only upside to the hotel is that it is close to the strip, but if you're looking for somewhere to stay close and cheap and clean go to Danelis which is directly over the road.
I wouldn't recommend golden sun to my worst enemy!
I'm 20 years old and from a rough area, I'm not a snob but I expect better than that even for a 2* !!!
It put a huge downer on the holiday. The ant bites are soar and swollen, we thought we had got rid of the ants and we didn't have any food or drink (apart from water) in the apartment but it turns out they had just migrated to my bed.
Completely disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emma H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
Silver Sun Studios & Apartments
Ida Village I&II
#83 of 176 in Hersonissos
Dessole Malia Beach Hotel
Kastro Beach Apartments

Been to Golden Sun Apartments? Share your experiences!