“Excellent place - an oasis in Malia!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Malia
Danaides Apartments
Ranked #41 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Malia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just came back from a fantastic week in Crete. We stayed at Danaides apartments. This place is an oasis in Malia. The moment we arrived we were welcomed by the scent of jasmine. The garden and the swimming pool area are beautiful and very well looked after. The apartments are spacious and clean, with balconies (my favourite feature). They are also very well equipped with anything you possibly need for self catering (fridge, plates, pans, cutlery, glasses, etc). The hospitality was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful to us. Every day we were asking directions and suggestions about the various places we wanted to visit and they would always go out of their way to give us the best information. As for the extra cost for the aircon and the safe that someone else mentioned, you can opt out. You are not forced to take it. We didn't.
I definitely recommend this place and I would happily go back there. Total value for money. It was an amazingly pleasant surprise for the money we paid.

There are newer reviews for Danaides Apartments

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I travelled this year from the 6th-13th August with 3 friends for our first girls holiday. We are all 17 yrs old. Aircon & safe is €90 which was around €23 each plus €10 for the weeks wifi however the wifi doesn't reach the apartments only around the pool and reception / bar area and the air con reaches only 1 of the 2 rooms which ended up with 2 of us freezing cold and the other 2 waking up sweating.
The location cannot be faulted, the bar staff are lovely a headfxcker for €4 is worth it, its very nice. We came back about 4 times every night to our room for more alcohol (No watered down bxllshxt) and water haha during the night and often got back from the strip at 6/7am.
By our 2nd last day we was faced with a nasty fine! €50 as our bath matt had stained pink from hair dye. We was pretty certain we was going to get a fine for it but it certainly doesn't cost €50 for a bathmat lol! Others in our hotel also got fines for stained towels which was out of order.
Apartments were basic, as were most hotels. We never even saw a security gaurd for our whole stay however even though at the start of August apparently Malia had got a lot quieter so I don't know if they only have him at busier times.
We spent 4/8 nights on our neighbours balcony and nothing was ever said however it was a larger shared balcony at the back of the apartments.

Pool bar food is ok. Can get cheaper food elsewhere truth be told, can't take any of your own food or drink around the pool for 'tax reasons'. Buy a small bottle of water for €1 on the first day from pool bar then refil it up every day haha we got away with it.

beds were fxcking uncomfy, i still have back ache 3 days later. you will come home with MALIA FLU.

however malia is sick, best holiday by far. I LOVE HOUSE

3  Thank AntoniaEo
Reviewed August 8, 2013

From reading reviews before I went on this holiday I must admit I was concerned about staying here, the main problem was the management who showed no respect for their guests and on many occasions ruined the holiday for us. From the moment you arrive you are already forced to pay €90 per room for air conditioning and a safe, I would not pay that money again as the air-conditioning in many rooms did not work or even reach one of the rooms, forcing people to share beds for the whole week. A different incident happened every day with the management and they are only after your money. Some of the group we were with were forced to leave after being beaten with poles by security, others got charged €100 for leaving their watermelon on the balcony, a further €60 for the tap of the shower coming off, most people got fined for leaving makeup stains on the white towels, I would suggest you take your own bed linen out with and you will therefore not be charged. The only good thing about staying here was the location, it was right in the middle of the strip which meant you were never to far from the clubs or shops!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank murraymint981
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The reviews on here are spot on. Although these apartments are situated on an ideal spot along the strip, and the pool area is great, the strict and violent staff made our stay unbearable. I came to these apartments with around 25-30 friends all together and we were treated terribly by the staff. Actions included being fined for everything and anything (Including a 60 euro fine for the shower nosel coming off and a 40 euro fine for a bit of dirt on the bed sheet). Secondly, the safe and air con (provided for 90 euros per room) proved disappointing when a friend lost all her documents (including her money, insurance, and travel home) after placing it in the safe. After searching for this folder within the tiny safe many times she left it, to only find it turning up again inside the safe later that day, untouched but reorganised. Additionally, friends of mine received aggressive behaviour from the security man who roams around the place with a taser and baton at night (especially violent to boys). Equally the hotel manager (a blonde woman) was extremely strict and unhelpful (not even showing us how to use the hob when we asked and screaming at our friends when they had two extra people on their balcony.) This manager gave threats to my friends and I claiming that she would call the police and we were all going to spend the rest of the holiday in jail. The staff are only concerned with the prospect of getting as much money off of you as they can. The only good things about this place was the cleanliness, location and the bar tenders, otherwise I would highly recommend to look elsewhere in Malia for accommodation. More importantly DO NOT book through Olympic Holidays. Our flights were cancelled/ delayed on both sides with no warning and we saw our representative from Olympic once the whole week we were there (when needing someone to talk to about the issues we faced).

Room Tip: If you have already booked in these apartments bring your own pillow cases/sheets and be extra caref...
3  Thank Hannah117
Reviewed August 7, 2013

i recently stayed in Danaides apartments along with 40 friends. Although the location of the apartments is perfect, the owner and made the entire stay unbearable. Firstly, although the apartments are self catering, you are not allowed to have your own bottle of water by the pool, and the owner also refused to show us how to use the hob, as she insisted we buy from the bar. Almost every room was fined. For example, an 80 euro fine for leaving a watermelon on the balcony over night, 50 euro fine for placing the key in the slot which happened to be loose and fell off. The staff became very violent towards friends staying in the apartments by using a tazer gun, and using violence. i strongly advise no one to stay in these apartments as the only interest the staff have is making money, and will find any way to do so. They are in no way welcoming or concerned for your well being,

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank lauren J
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Although the apartments are situated right on the strip, this doesn't make up for the rude staff, dodgy security and the fines if you're caught sitting at your friends terrace. The people who run this place are only interested in your money and will accuse you of everything and anything until you pay up. Having been polite to the staff and avoiding any trouble while staying here I thought I'd be fine however I still got threatened by the greek woman who runs the apartments, who told me that she was going to call the police and that I was going to spend the rest of my holiday in jail.. for no reason at all. The woman also fined friends I was on holiday with 100 euros for leaving a watermelon out on their terrace..which they were forced to pay as reception had their passports and wouldn't return the passports until they did so. I've read the reviews on here and I've noticed the positive and negative responses which has left me to think it all depends on your age or whether they choose to pick on you. However incidents such as security letting themselves into friends rooms and beating them with poles/tasering them has left me feeling obliged to warn anyone else thinking of staying here. The good location isn't worth any of it. Avoid Danaides apartments.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank J-O896
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Myself and seven friends stayed here very recently (9/7/13-16/7/13) and I've got to say that I believe a lot of the reviews of these apartments are harsh. Before coming to Malia and reading some of the reviews of these apartments I was concerned and expecting rubbish rooms and really strict staff. When I actually arrived it was perfect for the kind of holiday I wanted (lively, teenage drinking holiday). It didn't cost us much for air con and the safety box so that was good and it also included a BBQ at the pool one night which was very nice.
The rooms are basic as in you get beds, sheets, towels, kitchenette, toilet, shower etc but for the kind of holiday most people go to Malia for this is what you need. The rooms where cleaned every other day and we where given clean sheets and towels.
The location of Danaides Apartments couldn't of been better. It is located basically right in the middle of the strip; this is perfect for when you are wanting to go out because you step outside and there is everything including their own bar Mangos which is famous for it's 'headf***ers'. Mango bar is more a place to pre drink though before going to other clubs such as Zig Zag (that was my favorite). I don't want people to be put off by the location because of noise because when we got in we had no trouble sleeping.
Like previously mentioned due to reviews I was nervous of staff being very strict. This was not the case when I came; we respected the staff and they respected us. We where loud, messy, rolling in at half 6 in the morning shouting etc and there was no problem. The only thing they don't like is being on their grass, they seem to take pride in their grass/flowers etc which is fair enough. Also they do not like a whole lot of people being on the balcony all at once, which again is fair enough. Overall staff where very helpful.
The only downside of staying here was that when we arrived our room was not ready and we had to wait around an hour and you only get provided with one roll of toilet roll and after that you have to buy your own but it only cost us a few euro at the shop for a pack of 6.
Overall the Danaides Apartments is a great place to stay for people going on a girly holiday or lads holiday. It is ideally located, nice, has a nice pool area that isn't too crowded and staff were nice.
MALIA 2013!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
Stelios Gardens
Kristalli Hotel Apartments
Oula Maisonettes
Oula Maisonettes
#1 of 63 in Kavos

Been to Danaides Apartments? Share your experiences!