“Excellent - Top Marks - Well Done”

Royal Heights Resort
Ranked #5 of 90 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed as a couple for one week in June. We were in a small, fully serviced villa.

If you are looking for; evening entertainment, kids clubs, pool games, lively bars, plastic chairs, plastic drinking glasses, dancing, flashing lights, cheap food and booze. Please, please DO NOT infect this wonderful paradise with your presence!

If you are such a person, don’t read my review and go away!

The Royal Heights Resort and Spa, is primarily set up as a large Greek wedding venue. We were not there when a wedding was taking place and only guess at what it would be like!

The resort is absolutely fantastic and suited our requirements perfectly. The serviced villa came with its own private swimming pool and garden. Inside the villa is a very well appointed small kitchen, dining area, sitting room. Upstairs there was a large double bedroom with balcony, well fitted bathroom and safe (ask reception for a key).

The villa was spotlessly clean and serviced daily by friendly staff. The air-conditioning works well and is quiet. The garden and out-door areas are very well maintained by enthusiastic and friendly ground staff who work around your schedule. Our pool was also very clean and well maintained. Our garden had a fantastic view to the sea, over Malia itself.

We stayed half board. The evening meal selection is slightly different than the full al la a carte menu, but by no mean inferior or short of selection. The food was excellent. It is worth trying the full menu at some point!

The breakfast menu had a great selection to suit all European tastes. My only observation was that cooked breakfast items were not hot enough when on the heat trays. I think that at quieter times it would be better for them to cook hot food to order, they also may see a waste saving?

But again at breakfast, excellent service!

Mid week, the main residence pool is very quiet (as is the whole site). We often we ate lunch by the pool bar, the staff are extremely friendly, the food range is good and of good quality.

Its quiet, really quiet – its great.

Occasionally we did see the odd “rep” from Malia come to use the facilities. The hotel have clearly, and correctly taken a stance on such people and allocated an area for them which has different sun loungers, separating them from the residents. I feel that a cage with a few car tyres hung up would provide some entertainment for these guests.

We witnessed four youths arrive by quad bike. They decamped themselves by the pool and started making a noise. Immediately, the waitress went across to talk to them, she was quickly overruled by a Greek chap (we assume he is the owner or manager), who shouted “get your stuff and move or GET OUT!”. Clearly and rightfully; the interesting yobbish youth of Essex are not welcome.

And my, how it made me laugh!

We took a short taxi ride to Malia (should cost 7 euro) and purchased supplies for the room from the Spar. Malia is an acquired taste, although the old village looks a little more civilised.
We did not use the Spa or Gym on this occasion, but if it reflects the rest of the hotel I am sure it will be top notch.

All the staff were fabulous. Management, waiting staff, grounds keepers and cleaners, all do a fantastic job and cannot do enough to help.

This venue is a complete diamond! To date the best hotel I have stayed in. I just hope it stays quiet and maintains its high standard.

Thank you Royal Heights Resort and Spa, we are rebooking, we will be back soon..

5  Thank Razzthejazz

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was a little skeptical before I arrived at this Hotel, and did my research before departing . I must admit that the other reviews that the RHR have had, do do it justice. It really is a great place for a relaxing Holiday. I did notice a couple of reviews, from the younger generation and my thoughts are, that they just don't get it. I admit if you are looking for a Hotel that's buzzing with music and Greek nights, then do not stay here. If what you want is good service, excellent food, and peace and quite, then the Royal Heights Resort would be perfect.

We arrived at Herlakion Airport and picked up our Pre-paid hire car. The travel company wanted £ 45.00 for transfers and we hired a car with National for £ 106.00 for a week. The road from the Airport to Malia was good and we had no problems adapting to the roads in Greece. Finding the hotel was a little difficult, but after a few wrong turns we did manage to find it. It is a little out of the way and a way out of town. I would say a car is essential and we also used it for a couple of days sight seeing in the middle of the Island. On that subject, if you get the chance to travel to the center of the island, it really is a beautiful place and is a breath of fresh air from the bustle of the strip in Malia.

We had a suite at the hotel, and the free bottle of wine and water was most appreciated. We also had fruit in the room as well. The room is modern and well thought out, with a small kitchen, and a nice Bathroom with Jacuzzi bath.The WiFi is a great touch and allowed me to stay in touch with business back in the UK.

The pool which is just outside our room was excellent and in the week we were there ( end of June ) was very quiet. In fact I can not see how this Hotel makes any money. There seemed to be as many staff as guests. There are only 20 Apartments and 10 rooms at the Hotel, but you would think this Hotel would cope with 500 people. Bizarre. I know that primarily it is a wedding venue, but in the time we were there there were no weddings. I do have a feeling that a wedding day would be a bit manic.

We were Half board, and eat at the Restaurant every night. It was excellent and the service and drinks were of a very good quality. Breakfast was also at the restaurant and again without fault,

We did not use the Spa facilities, but they looked excellent,

All in all this is one of the best Holidays and Hotels I have ever stayed in and my wife and I are already planning our return, If you like a chill out, holiday, which is quite and you like being made to feel special then the Royal heights Resort would be perfect.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to have any other information.

I would like to thank all the staff at The RHR for making out Stay perfect. Thank you Lloyd and Janet.

Room Tip: Not sure I would go for the Private pool and villa. Personally I would save my money and spend it on...
6  Thank modernman
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this fantastic hotel earlier this month for 10 nights. We has a presidential villa with a private pool and this perfectly combined a villa holiday with the convenience of hotel facilities. The villas were built and equipped to a very high standard. The sea view was beautiful and you were just far away enough from the hustle of Malia. The staff were very accommodating and any request we had were immediately dealt with. Great service overall especially from George. We normally prefer to go out for dinner but ate at the hotel restaurant a few nights as the food was to a very high standard and very good value for 5 star food. The breakfast service and choice was great. Would recommend the freshly made to order omelettes. The gardens were amazingly well kept by the hard working gardeners. We are planning to return for 10 nights again in September this year.

Room Tip: Go for a villa with private pool
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is an interesting hotel. World class in some respects, amateur in others. I think any experience here could be partly down to luck.

It is located in the hills, and if you don't mind the absence of the sea, and want a high-class resort then it could prove perfect. The hotel is built to a high standard, views are fabulous and the rooms are great. We didn't have a private pool so we made the most of the large pool. Amazingly in two days there at the end of June I saw no-one else in the pool - despite the high temperatures and unbroken sunshine. There was just one other sun bather by the pool. In many respects it felt like the hotel was preparing to open, rather than operating just prior to peak season.

On the whole the staff were great. There were a few exceptions, some just amusing mistakes, one receptionist was abrupt to the point of being rude - although did prove helpful in the end. Maids enter without knocking, but are friendly and clean to a high standard.

But the one thing that I did find annoying was the grass cutting around the pool. I don't know how other hotels manage it, but I've never before been sunbathing at a hotel where they are noisily cutting the grass around me at about 11 in the morning. That alone I would have found acceptable, but as they got closer to us, they came over and, with minimal English, gesticulated that we needed to move to other loungers. Begrudgingly we vacated our loungers only to find that NO others were set up for use - all stacked, umbrellas down, or in direct line of fire of the water sprayers for the grass. So in the heat of the day I found myself lugging loungers around, and fighting with umbrellas...it just felt like they cared more about the grass than the customers.

The hotel also goes by the name of Royal Hall and it is home to a large venue used for weddings, conferences etc. This wasn't being used while we stayed here and consequently the whole venue felt massively under-utilised. Great if you like privacy. However, I imagine if you are here when an event is being staged, service and privacy will be impacted.

Finishing on a particular high, both the food and service in the restaurant were absolutely first class. Breakfast was great - good service, selection and food and the the evening a-la-carte menu for half-board diners was the best I have seen anywhere - amazing value.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed 10 days with our two kids in the Royal Heights. We highly recommend this Resort, we have stayed already four times on Crete and in comparison with other 5 star Hotels this place is by far the best. Amazing View, Great Villas with private pool, daily cleaning service (very careful), daily garden service, twice daily towel service, quiet place, great restaurant, excellent food quality, helpful staff, great separated area for kids (playground) with "Nanny".
We will definitely return to this Hotel every time we will visit Crete again.
In advance to our holiday I send several emails to Royal Heights which got replied within 5mins to max. 2 hours upon late evening. From Check in to check out the hotel staff is very helpful and caring, we organized our Rental Car via Royal Heights who work together with the Rental Company ARTEMIS. The price is competitive to all other local rentals, cheaper than Hertz and Avis and together with Royal Heights Artemis offers chargeable Airport transfer from/to the hotel which we also recommend to book. We would like to take the opportunity to thank all staff members of Royal Heights, especially George, Thanasis, Dimitris and Evelina. We are looking forward to our next stay at Royal Heights which will be definitely longer than 10 days!

Room Tip: We had booked a double room and upgraded to Presidential Villa with private pool, amazing seaview an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

One of the most amazing places we've ever stayed in. Everyone was lovely, service was fantastic and cleanliness was brilliant. Pool was lovely and quiet, no need to venture out if want a chilled get away. Cocktails are ace :)

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter recently. I had contacted them in advance as we have special dietary needs and they could not have been more helpful, automatically providing gluten free bread at dinner which was much nicer than anything we get in England! breakfasts were good, with plenty of choice.

Our villa was pretty spacious, wi-fi was a bit slow but available (there was a stronger signal by the pool!) and the pool was absolutely lovely. If I have a criticism it is that the kitchen is not really "fully equipped". There was no microwave, and despite having three good non-stick pans there were no utensils to cook with other so we had to use the metal cutlery and risk scratching the pan surfaces.

The location seemed odd - such a luxurious hotel above such a downmarket resort, and it was much too far for us to walk into town so we had to use cabs. Nearby Hersunissos was a much nicer place to shop.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to it, get a villa with its own pool. They are amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
AQUILA Atlantis Hotel
#4 of 58 in Heraklion
Stella Palace Resort & Spa
Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Heights Resort? Share your experiences!