“Amazingly Relaxing”

Royal Heights Resort
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Malia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I spent a week here in July and would like to address some of the comments people have made about the hotel. I have pretty high standards when it comes to hotels and I was not disappointed.

I stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the pool, not one of the villas. On arrival at the hotel we were shown straight to our room which was very clean and obviously new. Looked exactly as it shows in the pictures, which isn't always the case. We had a bottle of wine and water chilling in the fridge which was complimentary and a nice touch. Room was cleaned everyday and the aircon was a godsend.

The pool area is open to the public and yes people show up who work in Malia but this didn't impact on my holiday at all. The pool bar staff seemed to keep all the people who weren't staying at the hotel in one corner and as the pool area is pretty huge we were fine at the other side of the pool. I also should mention that they were not loud and I didn't hear a peep out of them, although maybe that would be different if I'd sat next to them everyday! Overall the pool area is great, very quiet and relaxing, plenty of sunloungers and no-one rushed to take sunbeds. You could go out at midday and there was hardly anyone about.

We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was excellent. The breakfast was nice too, no english breakfast although this was probably for the best as I ate so much for lunch and dinner! They had toast, cereal, fresh fruit and a chef on hand to make omelettes and eggs. What makes breakfast though is that you can eat on the terrace which has amazing views over Malia.

I used the spa one afternoon which was lovely but you do have to book treatments a few days in advance. Would definitely recommend the swedish back massage.

Because of the location we hired a moped. It is at the top of a hill and it would be difficult to walk for even the fittest of people! On a postive note though, this is probably why it's so peaceful. We visited Stalis and Hersonnisos which are both worth a visit and Malia old town has some amazing restaurants.

All staff were friendly. A lot of the people staying there were from Europe, but really, if you want a hotel full of Brits then maybe stay on Malia strip or maybe stay in Britain!

Only thing to watch is the transfers. As you have to go through winding streets of the old town to get there, the buses can't get up. Our transfer dropped us at a taxi rank in Malia and told us we had to get a taxi the rest of the way. if we'd known this we probably would have just got a taxi the whole way.

Anyway I can not praise the hotel enough and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kirsty B

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Arrived at 10.30 pm but found food waiting for us. Discovered that we had been upgraded FOC from two hotel rooms to a villa with private pool. This made our holiday as although the hotel was very good the villa was the icing on the cake. The villa was large (plenty of room for our 18 and 16 year old boys) and very well furnished. The staff were very friendly, especially Julia who seemed to run the hotel. The restaurant staff were very good too. The grounds and pool were well laid out and spacious. The gym facilities were excellent with good spa/treatment rooms.
Malia was a long walk down a steep hill - the walk back is not recommended. Taxis were about £7 each way. We hired a car (£200 for nine days) and were able to see a bit of the island. Highly recommended and would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

fantastiko ksenodoxeio me apisteyth thea, prosites times, poly eygeniko proswpiko pou pasxize na mas eksyphrethsei se oti thelame, polles paroxes, spa gymnasthrio hamam saouna, fovero prwino kai geystikotato faghto sto estiatorio tou ksenodoxeioy me apisteyth thea sto pelagos

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My girlfriend, 11 year old son and I spent 2 weeks at RHR in July. It was our first stay here and we had a fantasticc holiday.
We stayed in room 205, which was 1 of the rooms, within the block that houses 10 rooms, (not a private villa). The room was cleaned every day, clean bed linen and clean towels, etc.
We had a beautiful balcony that overlooked the main resort, pool and the sea beyond.
We had a bed and breakfast arrangement, which worked very well and found the the slection of food on offer to be more than adequate.
Throughout the course of 2 weeks we sampled the lunches and evening meals, which we found very good in terms of quality and value, compared to the rest of Malia.
All of the staff we encountered were professional, courteous and helpful, from the girls that cleaned our room, waiting staff, front desk and restaurant.
My only reservation about this holiday was the fact I had read reviews about big groups of lads and girls using the pool facilities and generally taking over.
This does happen to a degree, ususally from 2pm ish onwards, however these groups are not particularly noisy and they certainly do not take over. You also get Greek families which turn up to use the facilities and groups of young Greek girls and lads. On a couple of occassions, one of the waiters had a word with a group of Greek lads who were kicking a football about and generally told them to calm down, which they did.
I would recommend hiring a car, which we did for 12 days, as Crete is a large island and there is plenty to see. We also used to drive into the main town daily for food and drink provisions, which we made in our self catering room.
The wifi connection in our room, was quite poor, the best place is the upstairs bar, so I used to take my Ipad up to the girls behind the bar, they would keep it behind the bar for me, whilst a film was down loading, no problem.
You could also just sit in the bar, and use the wifi, with no obligation to spend money.
We had a very enjoyable stay, would go back and have been recommending Royal Heights resort to work colleagues, friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for room 205 in the main block, it is on the end and is on the second floor, which offers you ve...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The other reviews are all based on the private villas this resort offers, I unfortunately did not stay in one of these but in their flats of which they have 10 rooms who share the main pool.
Upon arriving at 5 am exhausted and just wanting sleep, we were told by the night duty receptionist that our room was not ready and they were not told we were coming! We found this extremely frustrating and when asking why and what do we do now, the boy just kept saying it wasn't his fault!! Eventually he made a call and we were put into another room and told to come to reception in the morning to sort it out.
We were woken the following morning in a rather rude and accusing toned phone call from reception telling us we are in the wrong room and must leave the room immediately! My husband went to reception and was told they didn't know we were coming this early, they took no responsibility saying it was our fault and gave us a key to another room.
Later when walking through reception a different women receptionist stopped us to appolagise as she was told we were arriving and failed to pass on this to other staff, she offered us a room upgrade free of charge for our last nights stay...... We refused this offer as we did not wish to spend our next to last day packing then unpacking for our last day, it seemed pointless to us, they were annoyed we were not accepting this. Instead we asked if we could have a complementary breakfast on our last day instead, recon this was a good deal for them, we received a strug and told they don't know if that would be possiable!!
The rooms are nice enough except the beds are rock solid, not recommended at the best of time let alone when your pregnant, i ended up sleeping on the sofabed! Can't get wifi in rooms, we're told it only works in the bar, assume this is a ploy for you to have to come and spend even more money at the bar.
The other problem with this place is the pool, they have a lovely pool which looks so idyllic in the pictures and a relaxing place to be. It's not! They open the pool to any stray off the street and of course the ones to take advantage of this are the 17 year old British reps who come up from town in there massive groups and take over, parading round the pool swearing and snogging and having little respect for anyone else.
We have stayed at many 5* resorts around the world and on no level does this deserve to be a 5* place, save your money and go somewhere else. Totally over priced and dreadful reception staff!!

Room Tip: If you have to go then probably get a villa as they don't care about their guests in the flats.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank zcw
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I’ve just came back from the RHR a week ago and I was there for 7 nights. I was in a 2 floors villa with a private pool. The weather was very hot but thanx to the situation up on a hill, there was a little breeze now and then.
The room was confortable, very practical with its real kitchen place, its own connected computer, its 2 flatscreens TV, one in the bedroom and one in the living room, its 2 bathrooms included one with a jacuzzi, its direct access from the car parked just in front of it. It was very clean and the cleaning service was very efficient and respectful.
I’ve been in this kind of suite already and the pool here is not just like a big bathtub! It is a 40 m² pool really spaceful and very clean. If like me you like to rest at the pool all day long doing nothing but reading or listening to music, the sunbeds are very comfortable and in this room (villa n°3, ask for it !) you have the sun all day long at your pool till the 8:30pm sunset !!
2 inconvenients though from my point of view : almost no Wi-Fi, nor in or out of the room, and the noise of the AC in the room that we have to leave 24/7 because of the heat outside.
But, this said, there was a major quality which make disappear the inconvenient and it was…JULIA !!!
Julia is the evening/night manager. She is remarkably efficient, kind, dedicated and professional. She is the best of this resort and she makes it earn its fifth star on her own.
Anything I wanted or needed, she provided almost immediately, from a hub for the computer to a 10m cable or an additional set of towels for the pool. And always in a very respectful way and with a smile.
I can’t write down here all the reasons I have to express her all of my gratitude and congratulations.
The rest of the staff was also very respectful and efficient from the restaurant to the spa. The quality and diversity of the food at the restaurant was more than correct, even the expresso was Italian and from my own personal brand !! Really great food and service.
I recommend this resort at the highest level.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our second stay at the Royal Heights Resort in a private villa and again the resort cannot be faulted. The views are stunning the villa's are all finished to a high standard with a modern feel. We had our wedding anniversary during our stay and when we arrived the villa was covered with rose petals and the towels arranged into the shape of hearts (very nice touch). We stayed half board which meant eating in the hotels restaurant with an open choice from the a la carte menu. The staff are excellent and are without doubt the stars and heart beat of the resort and without them I feel that the resort would simple not be the same with a special mention to Julia at reception and Thanos and Dimitris at the restaurant. The only draw back from the hotel is that there is no entertainment in the hotel, so if you WANT to go into Malia its 8 euro down in a taxi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bailers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malia
Galaxy Hotel Iraklio
Village Heights Golf Resort
#6 of 172 in Hersonissos
Elounda Gulf Villas & Suites
Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Heights Resort? Share your experiences!