“Beautiful setting”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Menerbes
West USA
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Beautiful hotel with a very nice pool. The grounds are beautiful. We had breakfast and dinner there. The restaurant was very good. The rooms are comfortable...not luxurious...but reasonably priced. The staff was excellent. I was concerned about staying here when I read some of the reviews...I have to disagree and say that it had the best staff of any hotel we stayed in in France, gorgeous grounds and a wonderful total experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I sort of stumbled on this place. It was early evening and we were tired from our long drive from Nice, and didn't have reservations anywhere. So we were prepared to take what we found. What we found was a pretty, tranquil oasis of charm and comfort five minutes from the hillside village of Menerbes (10 minutes to La Coste; 20 minutes to Rousillon). They even offered us a deal on our room that we didn't ask for! (Not the best business practice, but still much appreciated). Large and comfortable with a nice big patio overlooking the gardens. I was really worried about the price of dinner that evening because we ordered glasses of champagne without knowing the cost (the same as served on the Concorde!)--and they didn't give us a check when we finished--just a mention that it would be added to our bill at check out. No worries--the fantastic meal for two with that champagne plus a nice bottle of wine was under 100 euros. The enormous pool here is one of the prettiest in the South of France--just the place for a quiet afternoon after walking the hill villages. The grounds are pure provencal charm. When I told the proprietor that the front desk had told me breakfast was included in our rate, he removed the charge instantly without so much as a frown. When I asked for a corkscrew to open the bottle of wine I'd bought in town, they not only fetched one but opened the bottled and got us two wine glasses. Whoever says the French are arrogant and unfriendly has never had the chance to meet the folks who run this place. I love it!

Room Tip: The patio/terrace that we had was a really nice touch. I gather the slightly less expensive rooms do...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The most amazing grounds and feel, although menerbes is not one of my favorites, you can stay in this hotel and go to the next door villages of bonnieuX and Rousillon and gordes, this hotel was charming beautiful clean and fantastic

• Stayed July 2012
Melbou
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Quaint small hotel about 2 km from Menerbes. Rooms are three star but comfortable and with Provencial ambience. Nice pool. Staff are friendly but some are relatively new and/or untrained. Senior staff could not have been more helpful. Minor room maintenance issues were not addressed eg slow filling/flushing toilet, towel rails falling from the wall. Overall maintenance and appearance of the hotel was very good and it has that certain ambience.

Restaurant evening meals were of very high quality and it is definitely worth eating in for the fine food that was exceptionally well presented. Good local wine list. Good selection of Armagnac.

Breakfast was another matter and, at E22, is best avoided. Very marginal coffee, some breads and cold cuts of meat. Instead, walk or drive to Menerbes and have a coffee and croissant and enjoy the view.

We would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are looking to avoid restaurant/courtyard noise, avoid the rooms overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Banjo1422
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This hotel was booked on line with a coupon by my partner, I was supriesd at how beautiful the Hotel and grounds were,the pool was great the staff were helpful and outgoing and very French !!! loved our stay and was delighted at our bill as I though it was going to be high but very reasonable for what we had. Loved it and will visit again

Room Tip: One with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed May 18, 2012

The grounds are lovely and well kept. Some rooms are small and the rooms with a patio are far better. The restaurant serves food to die for, but it is expensive. Plan to go into town for some meals splurge on one wonderful dinner at the Le Roi. Try the Pears Helene.

Room Tip: I was sick one day and the chef prepared artichoke soup and sent it to my room. It was the best I ha...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Brit in France
Reviewed October 4, 2011

It has everything to be fabulous, nice grounds a beautiful swimming pool, friendly staff (in september, at least), and nicely decorated rooms.

We had an upgrade to a junior suite, so could not complain about the decoration, nor the price. The price we paid, for a standard room, seemed justifiable for the junior suite. The junior suite is spacious, has a nice balcony over looking the garden, and tasteful furnishings. It also has a reasonable sized (32") falt screen TV.

What really let the hotel down were details, like tired sheets on the bed, they needed to be replaced. A shower head that leaked everywhere, a toilet that did quite stop running after it had been flushed, some unfilled screw holes in the bathroom walls.

We really wanted this to be a luxurious stay for our wedding anniversary, and we did have a great time, we slept well, th ebeds were perfectly comfortable, and the hotel was very quiet. Indeed one night we were the only people in the hotel. Literally, the only people!

The breakfast is way to expensive, better to go to Coustellet, or better yet the "boulangerie, salon de thé" just below the market square in Bonnieux.

(If you look at the various categories, I've marked mostly very good, or excellent, but I can't bring myself to give the hotel a higher than "average" rating overall)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stopeter44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menerbes
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches
La Bastide de Marie
La Bastide de Marie
#1 of 2 in Menerbes
Domaine de Fontenille

Been to Hostellerie le Roy Soleil? Share your experiences!