All reviews michelin star seaside town separate loo street view modern bathroom de la overlooking the estuary main course one star gorgeous hotel air conditioning course meal delicious lunch plenty of free parking gastronomic experience art deco lovely terrace
Selected filters
Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

We visited la Marine on a beautiful mid September Wednesday- arriving by boat from Jersey. The small town of carteret is very attractive, and the restaurant takes pride of place overlooking the pretty estuary.
On arrival all the staff were very welcoming, and were sympathetic to why we were an hour late for our reservation (a rough sea had slowed the journey from st Helier).
It was hard to choose from the menu, as all the choices sounded fabulous.
I chose foi gras, followed by Hake, and their version of apple pie. All courses were excellent, and all worthy of their Michelin star. If I was to chose which was best, I would say the Hake main course took the honours!
In all, staff, food, service, location and surroundings were all excellent.
I cannot wait to return to la Marine, truly a day to remember.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2016

We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and could not fault it however I feel there could have been more staff on duty as we felt a little neglected as our waitress had too many tables to look after. Good menu choices

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2016

Superb rooms with decking outside overlooking the estuary with distant views of Jersey. The restaurant has one Michelin star. Superb rooms and meals, the latter either a la carte or from fixed price menus. From here one can travel by boat to Jersey or further into La Manch to visit WW2 sites or other picturesque villages and towns. E.g St. mere Eglise, the first town to be liberated on D- Day, Utah Beach, Omaha Beach and its American cemetery. Nearby is the German Cemetery with even more graves. Both are just off the N13 road. A little further along the N13 just outside Caen at Ouisterham is Pegasus Bridge, the site where British gliders landed just before D-day, on the 5th June 1944 a few minutes before the date changed to 6 June 1944.

Room tip: The rooms and bathrooms are seriously smart and modern. The restaurant has one Michelin star which I doubt small children would appreciate.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Batmadviv
Reviewed September 12, 2016

My wife and I have been coming to La Marine off and on for over 40 years mainly for lunch with a party of friends. We decided that it was about time to try and stay there, which we did in August. We were show to an excellent room with stunning views over the estuary. Our room was very nicely decorated but on arrival the cupboard door was jammed shut and had to be freed by the handyman. Having eventually unpacked we had the most delicious lunch which was lovingly prepared and was full of taste. After lunch we sat on the terrace with coffee and a calvados in the sun which was a welcome change from the early part of our holiday.
Breakfast was typical and expensive for what it offered, so unless you are hungry it might be worth popping around the corner to one of the many bar that are open.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2016

The room was nice and big but toilet and wash basins were in different rooms.
There is only one disabled parking space in the 4 at the hotel, we were lucky to get a space next to the disabled space otherwise if all full means parking on the side streets.
We had a room overlooking the street but would advise reserving a sea view.
Free Wi Fi is available but very slow.
The breakfast is good but costs in addition to the room rate.
This is the only hotel anywhere in the world that I have stayed in that I could not get a table reservation for the evening meal. The hotel state this should have been pre-booked with the room reservation. They booked us a table in a restaurant near by but it was raining and with my disabled leg we declined. After further discussion they arranged for us to eat a 2 course meal in our room. The meal was Nouveau Cuisine, which I dislike but I have to say the main course of 3 small pieces of veal, 2 mange tout, 1 carrot and 1 new potato was very nice but not really filling.

Room tip: Book table for evening meal with room reservation.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple