“La Marine”
Review of Hotel de la Marine

Hotel de la Marine
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Excellent Hotel - room with terrace overlooking the estuary was fantastic - only downside = smell from seaweed at low tide!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We finished a short, 5-day break in Normandy with a night at the Hotel de la Marine and were extremely pleased we did. This is truly a little gem in a lovely little seaside town. It's an Art Deco retreat, with Philippe Starck furniture that is built to remind you of being on board an elegant ship. We had a room with a small balcony overlooking the tidal river with views down to the fishing harbor and ferry (to the Channel Islands) terminal. The room was wonderfully designed and very light, with an extraordinary and huge shower and bathroom with curving, full-length glass walls. The bed provided views directly out to the river. If the room isn't enough for you - and we hardly wanted to leave ours - then the restaurant is also a can't miss experience. We certainly enjoyed the best (and most expensive) meal of our trip at this hotel. The food was imaginative and elegant without being fussy and was focused on the wonderful variety of fresh seafood available in the area. The dining room again has lovely views to the estuary and drinks can be had before and after dinner on a deck or a lounge with picture windows and decorated wityh old photos of Barneville.
Staying in this hotel was treat from check-in to check-out and we look forward to an excuse to visit again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a balcony and sea view
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Grassland88
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We wouldn't normally be able to afford to stay at such an excellent hotel but the low season special tariffs allowed us a night of luxury in this three-star, family-run hotel by the sea. It was definitely one of the highlights of our visit to Normandy.

As you would expect, the room was comfortable with all the usual facilities, including free WiFi which is always a must for us. It was not pretentious though and the decor was very relaxing.

Despite the time of year, the service was very good. Staff were efficient, friendly and polite - what more can you ask for ?

The best feature ? Definitely the location. Not only right by the sea but with unobstructed views for 270º.

Hard to fault this hotel, but I guess we did find the meal prices a bit steep.

Room Tip: Ask about special rates and if possible get a room with a sea view - or spend lots of time in the wo...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We admittedly booked this hotel because we wanted to dine in its 1-star restaurant. To our great delight our room was very modern, very spacious, and very clean. The hotel is bordered by an ocean inlet on one side and a quaint little seaside town with wonderful little shops and restaurants on the other. Dinner in the hotel restaurant exceeded our expectations. When we go back (soon, we hope!) we will book demi-pension, which seems to be the greatest bargain when staying there.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street, which got a bit noisy early in the morning when the garbage and delivery...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed for the last night of our holiday - we wished we had stayed longer! The superb room overlooked the harbour and had a large balcony. It was clean, modern, spacious with a large bathroom and fluffy white towels and bath robes - everything as it should be for a high class hotel. Obviously a lot of money had been invested in maintaining the hotel to a high standard. The high-light, however, was the food. The restaurant had a well deserved Michelin star - the food was wonderful, executed with a high level of technical skill and the service was excellent. On a Sunday evening the restaurant was full with a real buzz about the place. Most of the diners were French - which is a good indicator of how good a restaurant is. Quality of this sort does not come cheap so we are saving up for our next - longer - visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Almost all the rooms have a terrace with a view down the river towards the sea - which is very much at its best 2-3 hours either side of high tide. The size of the terraces vary considerably so it is well worth enquiring in advance. Our room was very comfortable and both it and the rest of the hotel had facilities one would expect of a 4 star, so why it is officially rated 3 star I do not know. All the staff were perfect.

There is very limited hotel parking, but we had no difficulty finding a spot close to the hotel and there is a car park a couple of hundred yards away.

I have reveiwed the excellent restarant separately. The breakfast was the best I have ever had in France.

Room Tip: Ask about the terrance.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PercyVeerance
Reviewed April 30, 2011

A whim took me to Carteret recently (the less romantic amongst you might wonder at this remark and make me confess that yes it was actually a boat but I digress). Having passed by this elegant hotel on previous visits to the area I finally decided to take the plunge and spend a night there. It all lived up to expectations - very professional staff, immaculate bedrooms, a good quality breakfast in my room (which arrived on the dot and is described perfectly in another review) and the unrivalled views. And this last point is really what you are paying the premium rates for. The position of the hotel is fundamental to its tariff - it is the only one next to the estuary but the hotel rates are really quite extraordinary. I had a fabulous room with rather a small balcony (the cat is still bruised) for €220. These are London prices for gawds sake! But if you do want to push the boat out then this is the stylish place to do it in, or should that be from? (or in my case, to). To stay here and go for the cheaper roadside view is actually to miss the point of staying here really. From the balcony you have a view of the pleasure boats passing in front of you and birds sweeping past and can hear the hypnotic plinking of cords on boat masts. Believe it or not, you can also hear the sound of the gulls as soundtracked on the hotel's website (which was quickly muted when I was perusing it - I've seen that film and really don't want gulls swooping in my bedroom). But now for the bad points - the curtains at the large windows in my room allowed the early spring morning light to brighten the room perhaps a little too much first thing. Also there weren't that many guests staying but I could hear certain plumbing noises (I'm trying to be discreet), rattling of keys in doors, coughing etc. This could possibly be irksome in a busier time. If I was feeling flush (as opposed to hearing everybody else do it) I would stay again, however. Finally, the hotel is integral with the very posh restaurant (and interesting boutique next door) The prices in the restaurant are, again, extraordinary. I am a very fussy eater and there were not enough choices for me but I don't doubt that what is served is excellent. So I chose to go elsewhere and ended up at Le Cap instead which saved me all that trouble of having to sell my house. If you are very bored you could read my review of that particular establishment......Le Cap not my house. Trip Advisor forbids profanity!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Miss_Snooty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barneville-Carteret
1 mi away
Chateau de Flottemanville
Chateau de Flottemanville
#1 of 1 in Flottemanville
Hotel Mercure Cherbourg Centre Port
Hotel Mercure Cherbourg Centre P...
#1 of 26 in Cherbourg-Octeville

Been to Hotel de la Marine? Share your experiences!