“A hidden treasure”
Review of Hotel le Cap

Hotel le Cap
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed for three days at this hotel last year and stopped off for a night on our way back to Cherbourg this time. Accommodation is quite compact but clean and comfortable with a good bed and shower. Still has that ' old French' charm.
It is at the extreme end of the Quay and is quiet and picturesque and a stone's throw from the sand dunes.
On a Sunday, the fishing boats unload their catches on the Quay and locals appear to buy fantastic crab, lobster and shell fish.
The restaurant is great and one of my favourites. It is friendly, bustley and always has a good menu and wine list. It is very popular though and so a good idea to reserve even in quiet times.
It is definitely on my list of places to return to and is very convenient as only about 40 mins drive from Cherbourg.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a room overlooking the quay. Try the oysters!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked a saturday night during a weekend away winter trip around the peninsular> Got a good RO rate via bookings.com on trip adavisor . The hotel bedrooms are on the small side but sea view over the estuary. Room newly decorated to a good standard . Very clean and compact en suite with power shower and plenty of hot water and reasonable sized towels. ( Shame this and most french hotels still dont include a kettle and comp coffee/tea/sugar etc in the bedrooms ! )
The previous reviewer is correct the restaurant gets busy even off season on a saturday - it was full of" locals" and no doubt because of the high standards on offer and quite reasonable prices of the food . Efficient and friendly service, lots of choice on the menu (particular emphasis on fish )and on the wine list.

Room Tip: Sea view preferable as rear of hotel faces the cliff .
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stumbled on this hotel when we were looking for an overnight stop in the area. The room we were given was on the small side but had a stunning view. We were advised that we would need to book a table if we wanted to eat there as it gets very full on a Saturday night, even out of season. We were so glad we did, as the food, the service and the ambience were all excellent. The best seafood meal (indeed the best meal, full stop) we had during our week in Normandy, and excellent value for what was on offer. The staff were very busy but we didn't feel rushed. Would not hesitate to come back, but preferably when the weather was kinder!

Room Tip: Sea view room, definitely.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Greenings
Reviewed May 16, 2012

..... and not at one of the hotels farther inland, by the pleasure port - which smelled rather unpleasant at low tide.

Good but somewhat hurried service at hotel and restaurant. Generous breakfast buffet. "Menu du Jour" a good value at the restaurant.

Be sure to hike to the Semaphore for an amazing view of the ruins of the Vielle Eglise and its eponymous beach!

Room Tip: Street side gives view of the harbor. Occasional street noise - might be more during tourist season...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marydave_ks
Reviewed September 3, 2011

A great little hotel, we had two sea facing rooms for our family, both had been tastefully decorated in a simple way and had views directly onto the harbour and distant beach.
Lovely restaurant with excellent sea food, good breakfast room and lounge and a nice outdoor terrace. Breakfast a simple self service continental with lots of local products. The family room was spacious with a small kitchen. Our sea view double was more compact but well equipped. All the staff friendly and very helpful. The location at the end of the quay is very quiet with some great walks in the area. Hotel is just a five minute walk along the quay from the village shopping street.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a sea view room just to have the sun first thing in the morning.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed at this hotel about 3 years ago, simply by chance since it was convenient for Cherbourg.
This time we booked in advance, as we had enjoyed our dinner so much and hoped for a repeat performance. We had booked a room with a sea view, but when we were shown to our room,Room 8, all we could see were trees. I queried this with the owner and was told I could see the sea if I leaned out of the window and also that there was a good view from the bathroom. Not really what we were expecting for the price we paid since the room was also very small.
Dinner was acceptable but very expensive compared to the four other hotels we had stayed in, as was breakfast.
Our overall impression is that because some of the bedrooms do have good sea views the prices at this hotel have been pushed up as far as they can get away with. The rooms are small and somewhat tired and the food, though enjoyable, is served at a comparatively high price.
This hotel no longer offers the value that it did on our previous visit and when one books a sea view then one is entitled to expect exactly that.

Room Tip: When booking a room with sea view make sure that the room is at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank honeysuckle3
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I know this review is in the hotel section but you may find yourself booking the hotel and wondering whether to go demi-pension. I have eaten once before at this restaurant which was in the busy Summer season and I made sure to have a reservation. But this trip was a spur of the moment overnight stay in Carteret and I didn't think it necessary to book out of season. So imagine how I felt to wander in off the street and bag the last table! And this was a very ordinary Friday night a long way from the busy high season. So lucky old me found a cosy table opposite the fire (which was quite welcome, as it was a bit nippy out) in the back room snug which, incidentally, is shown in the restaurant section of the hotel's website. The service was very attentive, if a little brisk, and although I wasn't hurried I couldn't help feeling the staff were rushed off their pieds and this didn't help me to relax as much as I'd have liked. The wine helped on that score, however - a terrific demi-bouteille of St Estephe. But perhaps one more waiter may have calmed the frantic pacing around and table clearing. As for the food, all of my courses were terrific. I should mention here that there were two desserts on the menu which required ordering at the start of the meal - the one I chose (a heavenly Grand Marnier Souffle) and another one that I might try next time. For my accomodation on this visit to Carteret - check out my review of the very upmarket, very moi Hotel de la Marine.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo