“A dining experience I am not going to repeat.”
Review of Chateau de Cavanac

Chateau de Cavanac
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Cavanac
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I looked forward to dining at the Chateau de Cavanac - a dinner to celebrate my forthcoming birthday - but we were somewhat disappointed with the experience. The restaurant is in an old stable block - pleasant enough surroundings but somewhat more sombre than the pictures on the website suggest and I would not go so far as to say that the ambience was, as the owners describe it, 'cosy'. With the food not wholly enjoyable - some of it was good but some not really up to scratch, at €45 the fixed price menu would have been excessive were it not for the fact that there was an unlimited supply of the reasonably palatable house wines. The meal commenced with a glass of Kir and a very dry, extremely hard biscuit which, had we dared to pursue the attempt to eat it, might well have led to an increase in our dentist's income. The first course was OK but nothing special. The second course - crayfish - was virtually inedible. However, the fact that it was on the plates almost untouched brought forth no comment or enquiry by the server when they were removed. For the main course my wife chose the duck which was cooked to perfection and extremely enjoyable. My choice was the suckling pig which was far from succulent - it was overcooked, with an overly sweet jus. The deserts were, at best, average. The contents of the 'bread basket' were, after the first mouthful, found to be very unappetizing and therefore left virtually untouched. I was sorely tempted to make comment on our dining experience to the server but, whilst courteous, she did not come across as someone who would take notice of or pass on criticism so, as we will not be dining here again, I did not bother. Before visiting the restaurant I did look at the Chateau website and that suggested that the TRIPADVISOR rating should be rather better than barely average. Notwithstanding that fact we decided - unwisely as it transpired - to pay the restaurant a visit. It has been noted that a number of the reviews are critical and that the proprietors of the Chateau restaurant seemingly either never read them; pay heed to them or comment on them.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We booked 2 nights at the Chateau de Cavanac, and ate in the restaurant both nights, as there were so many things we wanted to try. The starters were excellent (fois gras and scallops on the first night, and lobster and smoked salmon on the second). The second course of crayfish and a seafood meli-melo were very tasty. The main courses, roast lamb, roast suckling pig, cassoulet and steak, were good but not particularly special. We found the desserts and cheese to be very good. The wines, included in the €45 price, were fine, in fact better than we expected. All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and will definitely come back again.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

As usual every time we are in the region we visit Chateau de Cavanac to have dinner. It was our 10th time we went there and became a bit critical. In our view there is - since we came here 10 yrs ago - so few variation in the spices.
We were served by Madame G. Her attitude was really arrogant. We didn't feel good and cosy. And so, next time we are near to Carcassonne we will go elsewhere, l'ambarras du choix. Fini.
M.Mme G. Van Ballegooijen

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had been here years ago and it had been the best meal we had in France. We were looking forward to finally returning and booked a room so we would not have to travel after a big meal that included wine.
The dining room is pleasant, but the food was a huge disappointment. The meal started with a kir that is included and a little plate of very dry, hard something that was similar to a pretzel. My husband ordered the pate which was fine but is usually served with toast points.There was a bread basket, but the bread was not fresh. I got the lobster salad. It was ok, but the lobster was chewy. The next course was also mediocre. The crayfish were extremely difficult to eat since they were tough, probably over cooked or reheated. The casserole of fish also seemed to be reheated. Our main course was no better. Overcooked and dried out pork served with a sweet sauce which was needed to cut the dryness. By this point, we had met another couple and joined them for dessert. They were also very disappointed. They ordered the cheese thinking that is was not possible to go wrong with that. It was a single round of cheese with honey and a few nuts, but was better than my creme burlee which was cruddled. The meal was served with wine and the red was fine. The white was sweet. I was surprised that the wine had twist off tops and not a cork.
In summary, this meal was not nearly worth the price even with the wine. We have had better meals at a third of the price as lunch formulas.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Staying at the Chateau we decided for the 1st night to eat in the hotel restaurant. As soon as you enter the atmosphere is something special. The service and menu was superb. The menu on 1st appearance seemed expensive, 45 euro, but we quickly changed our minds. You start with an aperitif, there were 3 bottles on wine already on the table, the menu was 4 courses and coffee and a liquor to finish. Amazing food, amazing service, brilliant price. The best restaurant I have been to in France.

1  Thank Vj57