“The perfect place for peace and relaxation”

Hylatio Tourist Village
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pissouri
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“The perfect place for peace and relaxation”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

TAs a solo traveller I asked a friend living in Cyprus to recommend a resort and accomodation for me as I was going to visit them but wanted my independence. This was the brief: I want it to be quiet, relaxing, somewhere I can just chill out, enjoy the sun, feel safe and be near a beach. She found me the perfect location at Hylatio. I read some of the reviews before I flew which were quite conflicting but decided to keep an open mind. This was my 5th trip to Cyprus - but first time I have stayed in Pissouri Bay - It was everything I hoped it would be and more- I can understand why visitors return to Hylatio year after year, and so I hope will I. On arrival at Hylatio you are welcomed by Vlad and his staff and shown to your accomodation. The studios/maisonettes are set in beautiful surroundings. It is the ultimate place for relaxation. The Hylatio has a warm, welcoming and intimate feel. Vlad the owner and his wife Maria make people very welcome and treat their guests as individuals. They are happy spending time chatting to visitors and work hard to ensure their guests have a great holiday. They respect the fact that everyone wants different things from a holiday, but if you ask for anything I found they will be only too happy to help. The studios and maisonettes and pretty and well placed around beautifully maintained gardens and around a lovely pool. There are plenty of good quality sunbeds. The pool and gardens are well looked after. The accomodation is clean and there is a maid service 6 days out of 7. The accomodation is a good size, has comfortable beds and is more than adequate for self catering. You can hire air con, a fan and a safe deposit box. The Hylatio has a restuarant which offers breakfast, lunch dinner menu and a'la carte and they also offer an all inclusive deal which is good value for money, and which can be taken to suit the holidaymaker 3,5 or 7 days. There is a mini market on site, which is well stocked and comparable prices to supermarkets in the village. The welcome meeting was informative and Sue the Olympic rep was very knowledgable about Pissouri and the area. I found that Sue and Vlad and his staff were there to help but did not impose on your privacy, they were always accomodating, but were not in your face. Vlad and his wife Maria are owners of the Hylatio and work very hard and long hours, the staff behind the bar are Romanian, very friendly and happy to help. The bar is open until 1pm and is really friendly - you can sit in the bar and be entertained - you can still have lots of fun in a quiet resort - it's your choice. I found Vlad and his staff very attentive - they react very quickly if something is not right - The light outside my studio was out the first night and I couldnt see to get my key in the door - I told the staff that night, next morning it was fixed. When I decided I wanted to hire a fan he had none left that day - but later when I went to my room he had gone and got me one. If you wanted anything I found it was not too much trouble and Vlad would go out of his way to help and make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The village/beach is 5/10 walk down the road. You will find shops, tavernas and restaurants. The beach is pebbly but is a beautiful bay, has good sunbeds, watersports, and has a lovely breeze if it gets too hot around the pool. There is a fantastic little pizza restaurant opposite Joanna's supermarket with plastic tables but dont let that put you off - excellent pizza's and great value for money. The Hylatio has its own Greek night which is really good fun and the food is lovely. There are also greek nights at the Vine leaf and up in the old village - you will need a car to go there at night or 10 euros in a taxi. There is a little bus that has started to run in the day time. 9.30 and 11.30am. Pissouri is an ideal peaceful location and felt very safe. If you dont want to do anything but chill out, you can really relax in the surroundings of the Hylatio, but if you want to explore Cyprus it is perfectly placed to hire a car and get around easily. In my opinion the Hylatio is a hidden gem and is the perfect place for peace and relaxation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank 5julie2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
armagh
Reviewed July 31, 2010

this was our 2 time at the hylatio we were there in 2008,just one point if you are of the can never be pleased and always find fault in places dont go", now what can i say about the hylatio its perfect if its a peaceful relaxing holiday with no lager louts or mad raves then this is heaven on earth,the apartments are basic but well kept fresh towels and cleaned daily i read somewhere on here about someone getting things stole from there room well we left digi cameras camcorders and lots of other stuff lying about and there was nothing touched i might add there are safes in the rooms for 2.50 euro a day which i would advise 4 money and passports 4 peace of mind,vlad well what can u say people say he,s rude some say he,s nice i find he is a very hard working man he is on the go from maybe 7am to 1am every day his saying is if u dont want bothered i will leave u alone but if u need anything come see me the staff or all great from the girls at the bar 2 the cleaners who work very hard, the hylatio is one of those places where u feel very relaxed and safe there is a good size pool a bar and resteraunt and an on site shop the beach is a five minute walk there are a lot of resteraunts and 3 shops the old village is up in the mountain above and its nice 2 go up and have a meal and see the veiws i would not attempt 2 walk up 2 it there is no way u would walk up there in less than an hour, for anyone going to the hylatio or pissourri bay area i would strongly recommend hiring a car 2 make the most of your visit i used economy car rentals.com before i left i hired it 4 nine days it was dropped of 2 me at the hylatio at 10.30 all be it a few minutes late the morning i wanted it 56 euro was taken as a deposit and i gave the girl 285 euro when i got the car that included a full tank that i could leave back empty so all in all it worked out about 350 euro the car actually came from auto union which has a base about 5 mile up the road it was a nissan note 1400cc with about 30,000 mile on it and ac plus the proper insurance cover the car was okay good tires clean nice little runners paphos is about 15 min away which we went 2 quite often at night time there are a lot of shops to keep the women happy, i have 2 b honest i found cyprus very expensive this time round we always go self catering so as yoda would say few tips give you i can. there is a supermarket about 2 mile back up the road accross from the petrol station u will get everything u need far cheaper in there if you want 2 bring some cigs home 4 yourself go to theos directly accross from debenhams in paphos you might get cheaper elsewhere but 2 years ago i did this and when i got home it was like smoking hay well caught out the limanaki in pissourri bay is a must 4 a meal warning you need to book it in advance 4 my wife me and the 2 kids it was 105 euro well worth it but u wouldn,t do it every night if like us you have kids that r hard 2 please there is a macdonalds just as u come of the motorway into paphos 4big macs large fries and drinks and everyone happy 4 about 25 euro there is also one in the harbour but we found the one on the outskirts quieter also a big hello and thank you to anna and her brothers at the artemis restaurant u will find this at the we roundabout in pissouri bay on a sad note i have seen a few comments on here about the artemis and felt i had 2 add my own this is my favourite restertaunt in pisssouri from the first time we stayed in 2008 even my kids love the food and they are akward to please for a good meal in lovely surroundings judge it 4 yourself and not on the comments i have seen on some of these sites also i might add it is very reasonable ps anna have my bisto gravy 4 me if i,m lucky enough 2 get back next year also i would like 2 thank sue from olympic holidays lovely girl very helpful and a good knowledge of the island by the way if your sick of all the beautiful meals that u have had there is a little pizza resteraunt accross from joannas shop warning there large pizza is large my wife got 2 of them we were eating it the next day lol ,if u hire a car go to the troodos mountains 4 the day pack a lunch and while up there visit the kykkos monastery the car we got had a cooler box inside the glove compartment it was great 4 cans of lemonade etc 2 really enjoy it take the whole day we left at 10 am and were back at 7.30 u could leave at 7 in the morning there is that much 2 c ps take ur camera also ladys mile a beautiful sandy beach is a good spot just turn right follow the b6 for limassol and u will find it limassol itself once done us i didn,t like it but then thats just my opinion found paphos a lot handier and a lot more fun, tomb of the kings it was nice 2 say done that but that was about it,paphos bird park good days fun if you have children try sue 4 tickets before u go was nearly 50 euro fro 2+2, and aphrodites rock is a must just 5 mins from the hylatio turn left on the b6 past supermarket and follow the road will i go back yes if we can afford it next year we will be there we have been 2 a lot of places majorca,turkey,canaries, etc but really love cyprus hope this helps pissouri bay and the hylatio are a great place 2 go if u love peace and quite the bay itself although pebbly is beautiful there is a lovely breeze that blows that keeps you a bit cooler but caution watch the sunburn the only down side is it is very remote and u will definetly need a car 2 get about u can hire them of olympic when u get there r there is also a few hire shops in the bay but i wuold recommend online 4 a cheaper quote i also bring a fan with me on hols find it saves a few quid but i also get the ac 6 euro for a studio but 12 for the maisonette thats because u have one up and one down r u could choose 2 have just one of them ie up r down as for the all inclusive that has just started at the hylatio i cant comment as i have not tried it but u can upgrade 2 it when u get there i found there was not as much attention being payed 2 the self catering guests at the bar and resteraunt since this has started 4 example last time we were there we had breakfast at hylatio most mornings bar snacks midday and eveving meal about 6 times this time ordered english breakfast got 4 continentals had 2 ask 4 toast came out when we had finished ordered bar snack 1 day 2 toasted sandwiches cheeseburger and chicken burger they sent out 2 extra plates of chips that had not been ordered and we had 2 drinks each by the way the fanta is not fanta come to nearly 50 euro that finished us with eating at the hylatio why pay that when you can go to the artemis have 2 steak dinners an ommelette and pizza with a few drinks each for just slightly more bar that one complaint about the sc at the hylatio the whole holiday was perfect hope this review helps

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Sheffield
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I only had a few stipulations - relaxing, quiet, self-catering, solo traveller friendly and absolutely NO nightclubs!

The Hylatio Tourist Village was all of these and more. Although there was a real mix of people, it was a lovely place to just chill out for a week.

Self-catering is basic, but there is also a restaurant (with good all inclusive deals if that's what you want) or a few restaurants in the village (5 minutes walk).

The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and well looked after (note: air con is avaliable but costs extra), and there is a lovely pool on site. But also down the road are a handful of restaurants and grocery stores - if you fancy a posh night out try the Columbia Hotel down by the beach (or just go for a nosey around!)

My only advice is that this is a VERY quiet place, and there is NO public transport - so if you want to get out and about you'll need to hire a car.

Oh, and if you like a MUG of tea/coffee - take a MUG with you as the cups are tiny (see my photo of breakfast - two cups just for me!)

So, if you want a quiet break to read a book (or 5!), sit by the pool (or on the beach), and not have to think about much else this is the place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MsMoll
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

When we first arrived I thought 'I hate this place!' however after a few days realised that Pissouri is in fact a lovely place. Wednesday nights up at the village (5 min drive in car) is a must. It was fabulous! Real feel of the old Cyprus. The atmosphere was terrific and that night changed my opinion of the whole holiday. Holidaymakers and locals were dancing in the square and my daughters (14 and 10) loved every minute too.

Liminaki's restaurant at the Bay (5 min walk from Hylatio) was one of the best restaurants we have ever eaten in. Worth booking a table.

As for the Hylatio. Well mixed thoughts I'm afraid. Apartment was very basic. Not spotlessly clean but ok. Walk in bare feet and you'll need to wash before going out. Soap tray at shower was full of remnants from other holidaymakers soap - not really what I wanted. However local supermarkets sell plenty of cleaning sprays - we used before we could feel comfortable.

Vlad - well what can I say other than I have never come across such a rude and ignorant man in my life. Where any other reviewers can mention having a good sense of humour etc I really don't know. He speaks to his staff (or should I say shouts at his staff) in the most inappropriate manner. At one time I felt like stepping into the bawling match to tell him to watch his manners. This shouting is not done in the office or anywhere private - no it's done in the bar/restaurant where all guests can listen in. Most staff are Romanian so the bawling is done in English. He sacked a member of staff sitting at a table next to us. I spoke to sue (the rep) and she advised that the staff member in question had in fact stolen from the till. Still no reason to sack him in front of guests. I have warned my daughters that if ever a boss speaks to them in such a manner to walk out. Vlad tells guests he is just a very honest man. He seems to have mixed up honesty with ignorance.

Maria - Vlad's wife - is adorable. She was speaking to us at our table and Vlad walked over, stood for a few moments, which was her sign to move on!!!

Christina is the person who make's Hylatio. She is a wonderful girl - Vlad - should you read this you should consider her as an asset to your Holiday Village and treat her accordingly. Another guest told me that Vlad had her crying - he should be ashamed of himself.

We were all inclusive. Drinks were not great - often just tasted of soda. We went to breakfast only once - which was more than enough. Rubber eggs (we went at 9.45 and breakfast was served from 8am - hence the rubber egg I would think). Lunch was very nice. The pizzas are lovely. Evening meal was not great. Although food didn't look appetising it did taste okay. Its just that there is not much choice. Again I think put out at beginning of meal time and still there at the end. Restaurant was not busy though so perhaps this was done to save waste. But any time after 8pm then better to go out. Lots of wasps in restaurant which Vlad used a fantastic little bat on (ordering one online!) however once they had been crawling all over food - it should have been replaced!

All in all - okay for a cheap holiday - but only for a cheap holiday! Do not pay a lot of money to go to Hylatio. We got a good deal for the holiday - if I had paid the money they wanted to fly from Glasgow then I would not have been happy at all. Definately not worth nearly £4,000!

Would return to Pissouri but not Hylatio Tourist Village unless a very cheap deal!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
, Owner at Hylatio Tourist Village, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
If you were vlad, the owner, with one million problems over your head you would probably react the same..........vlad and maria they are within this buissines since 1997 and the run the property smoothly, without any problems apart from some minor problems with the staff. Christina, was running after hylatio because vlad and maria did liked her and saw within her the person to help them once since 1997. The result? Thousands of euros flew away either as supplies, she was selling them, or as cash from the cashier and the guests (she was asking for tips on her own). How did they find out? Some nice guests told them about it, they asked her and she did not decline about and instead of sending her to the police etc, they paid her salary, the plane ticket and she just left and the company lost all of the money. The reason? Is because is vlad and maria nad they do not want to make any problems to anybody. So please next time you write a report try to have all the necessary information with you before you do so. Reports are nice and very helpful for the travellers and fro the owners, but the correct reports not the misleading ones. Thanks.......
WALES
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Hylatio for 1 week in July. (we booked it through Olympic holidays) and had a great time.
we arrived to a warm welcome from Vlad (who was very friendly and helpfull all week)
we were shown to our Maisonette which was over looking the garden and close to the pool. everything in the building was very clean and well kept. room was really hot at night so we decided to hire a fan. 2.50 a day.(aircon was 12 euro a day for maisonette. it sounds expensive but who can blame the owners as I bet Olympic dont give them much for the rooms so they have to make money elsewhere.) the fan did work just about.

we didnt use any of the self catering equipment as we decided to go all inclusive (£26 euros a day). the selection for meals was really good. breakfast was self service, lunch was off a menu and dinner was a Buffet. everything looked really clean. all the drinks were included during the day and night.

staff - very good and friendly espcially Christina. fair play to them they work all day, 7 days a week.

Pool - Plenty of sunbeds, pool was really clean and had the sun on it from 0800 - 1900.

Pissouri bay - what a lovely resort. no english bars in sight and we didnt have a bad meal out at night in any of the Tavernas. all of them charge about the same price. make sure you eat at
Liminaki Restaurant the food was outstanding and really different but they still based around the greek/Cyrpus type of foods.

Beach was really clean and with plenty of room and sea was nice as well (just remember to take your sea shoes with you.

to get out and about youll need a car. we had one for 4 days. but we would have been happy to spend 7 days in Pissouri Bay.
Pissouri bay and the Hylatio is an ideal location for a quiet and relaxing holiday away from the English bars and restraunts.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Ansdell UK
Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed at the Hylatio for two weeks, and had a really good holiday. The owner Vlad and his wife Maria were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them. There is a variety of accommodation ranging from Studio's to Maisonettes. All equipped for self catering, although there is an excellent restaurant and the pool bar serves a full range of good quality lunchtime meals and snacks. All the food and drinks are reasonably priced. The staff are friendly and welcoming, always have a smile for the guests and provide a good level of service. The pool is brilliant and there is an on site Mini-Market, which stocks everything from postcards to alcohol, the prices are competitive with other facilities in the village. There is also an option to go all-inclusive, which includes all meals and drinks, except for cartons of juice. With the restaurant opening early for breakfast, and the bar opening from 8am to 1am,

The main beach is about 5 minutes walk away from the complex, and the village offers a variety of bars, restaurants and supermarkets. There is a bank as well, but when we were there the ATM was not accepting any cards, although you could change currency during opening hours.

If you want to use a card, we recommend taking a taxi to the old pissouri village, (10 Euros), where there are 3 banks, we used the Laki Bank where the ATM accepted our visa, mastercard and maestro cards. There are quite a few bars, restaurants and even a takeaway here, they also have a Cypriot night once a week, and concerts in the amphitheatre. Definitely worth a visit!

There is a slight downside to the location, there is no bus service in the area at the moment, although the locals and tourist alike, are signing a petition for a local service to be provided. Unless, you are going to stay by the pool, or go to the beach every day, we would recommend that you hire a car for at least part of your stay here.

Finally, we travelled with Olympic holidays and their representative Sue was excellent. So, for a quiet holiday in a beautiful location choose the Hylatio Tourist Village.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Superb quiet location, although next to the main village road, on the edge of the quiet village of Pissouri. Very pretty latout with most of the accommodation situated round the large swimming pool. Shops and restaurants are only approximately 200yds away.
Excellent helpful and friendly owners are always available and excellent friendly staff. Good value restaurant and bar and very good food.
Will definately return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pissouri
Columbia Beach Resort Pissouri
Theo Sunset Bay Holiday Village
Club St. George Resort
Club St. George Resort
#67 of 85 in Paphos

Been to Hylatio Tourist Village? Share your experiences!