“First time at Hylatio Tourist Village”

Hylatio Tourist Village
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pissouri
London, United Kingdom
“First time at Hylatio Tourist Village”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was our first time at both Pissouri Bay and the Hylatio Tourist Village and to be frank it was an ok place to stay. I really do not understand why so many reviews really rate this accommodation or Pissouri Bay. We stayed for two weeks from 8 September and found that the accommodation was very dated. The bathroom and the sink in the kitchen had no plugs so you had to run the water all the time if you were washing up or using the sink in the bathroom and when this was raised with both the Hylatio and with the Olympic Rep we were told that no rooms had a sink plug as this saved water, however I cannot see that this is the case as surely you use less water when you put a plug in the sink. The Hylatio is one of the few places I have stayed where the shower was in a bath, this sounds lovely until you realise that you cannot have a bath as there is no plug! Also the bath in the room we were in was very sippery and I did fall while using it. We did raise this with Flory the assistant manager and she did find us a bath mat to put in the bath when using the shower. My advice to anyone staying here is if your room has a bath but no mat to ask for one as I think this could be dangerous especially for older people.

We were based opposite the bar and frankly at night it became very noisy, not so much from music but the voices of customers, especially after 12 midnight. Yes the bar did close at one but the noise of laughter and shouting from very drunk residents made it very hard to sleep until at least 2.30 in the morning. My advice to anyone that is staying at the Hylatio is to ask to move to a room as far away from the bar as possible.

The swimming pool was well used, although I did not use this myself but observed many other residents putting towels on sunbeds first thing in the morning so the best places were taken well before 9am, so if you are going to use the pool get there early. The other major problem I had with this accommodation was insect bites.

At the welcome meeting the Olympic rep did mention this but frankly it was the worse places I have ever stayed in for these, and most people I saw on site had bites. These were from not only mosquitos, midges, but also horse flies and these I can testify are very painful. We did speak to other people staying in Pissouri Bay and was told that other parts of the resort did not suffer as much and that it may be down to well water gardens around where we were staying. Indeed I can vouch that an irrigation system was in use on site to water plants and this may have contributed to the large number of insects on site.

Possouri Bay is a very small, quiet resort with a handful of restaurants, shops and two bars. During the day the sandy shingle beach was not overly busy and there were plenty of places to sunbath. At night the restaurants while I was there were very quiet and not very full, the bars however were busy, mainly from the large British ex forces community that lived in the area. My recommendations to eat are Captain's Bay on the beach front both during the day and in the evening. Very good food, served by very friendly staff. The other restaurant I would recommend is the Vine Leaf, try the Meze it is very big and for two people it is enough for at least 3. Also if you like salads, where ever you go they are big, especially the seafood salads so if you dont have a big appetite order one to share.

Now for the downside of Possouri Bay, there are no banks or exchanges places in the resort apart from one COOP cash machine, None of the hotels, including the Hylatio has exchange facilities, although the Coop bank is closed the cash machine is refreshed on a regular basis. However if you are like me and do not like using cash points abroad then the nearest bank is in Pissouri village. Now you may think that this would be close by it is not, it is at least an hours walk away up hill or alternatively you can get a taxi up to the village. This would cost you 10 Euros to the village so a round trip would cost you 20 euros just to get some money. My advice is to ensure you take enough to keep you going until you visit the village or go to a resort that has exchange facilities just remember in Cyprus you need to take your passport with you to exchange cash. Talking of getting around hiring a car is a must if you want to get around this area of Cyprus, buses are not frequent and taxis expensive. The cost for two people to get to either Limmosol or Pafos is 84 euros return so can work out to be very expensive.

All in all I had a relaxing time but I am not sure if I would stay at the Hylatio again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin512013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
Wirral, Merseyside
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Lovely hotel let down by not so friendly staff! This was our second visit to the hylatio tourist village, first visit being the main reason for our return! First time around we were made to feel so welcome and the staff couldn't do enough for us! Unfortunately the change of several key members of staff has made this hotel a rather unpleasant place to stay. The main culprit for the unpleasantness was the assistant manageress (florrie), so preoccupied with herself she has no time for some of her paying guests! We asked her for help on several occasions and quite quickly realised that if you are not spending ALL your money in the bar or propping up the bar like so many budding Shirley Valentines then you are sneered at as if everything is too much trouble, then you notice a difference in the rest of the staff (obviously acting on this prima donna's instructions)! The on site shop was closed for the duration of our holiday, no sink plugs at all In any of the apartments, at one point no water for a couple of hours! Fortunately there are a handful of very good restaurants further down in the bay (one in particular called Perrys) and a few in the village! Quite sad really as we won't be returning to this hotel...! One last note, don't miss going to the beach as the little old man who owns most of the sunbeds and has his own ice cream van is one of pissouris jewels in the crown, charming accommodating and very funny.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Sharon R
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

In short this is a lovely place to stay... Staff are excellent, food is made to order, even the AI option. Rooms are basic but have everything you need. Small cost for fan. The surrounding complex gardens are well kept and stunning and the pools is clean and safe. Close to gorgeous quiet beach and bars and restaurants. It's not a party village so it's ideal for family's and couples... I'm in my late twenties and I couldnt have asked anything more from a cheap and cheerful, no frills holiday. My expectations were exceeded in every way. Go ahead and book it...!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Holibob_girl
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

if you want some where to chill then this is the place to be. quiet is the word. Canny compliment the staff enough, nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them.
We stayed with the all inclusive option which wasn't too bad. if you don't drink then I think it would be better to stay bed and breakfast and eat either there or out in the Bay.
rooms are good and clean only down point with the room was the bath, very narrow to stand in to have a shower. bed was a tadge too hard for me overall nice place to stay, make sure you read a lot of the reviews before booking, weigh up all the good points against the .not so good
but quiet it is.

Room Tip: blocks 10, 11, 12 are opposite bar area, depending on holiday makers can be a bit noisy at night
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just returned from a stay here. If you want somewhere to chill out in a quiet resort hylatio is a great choice. The pool area is great as is the pool bar and the staff. The beds were comfy but the bathroom could do with a bit of tlc. The proximity to the beach, restaurants and shops was great-just a few minutes flat walk. Overall a lovely break.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ljwynard
liverpool
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hylatio for two weeks and have just returned, we loved it. The s/c apartment we had was great, over the far side, lovely views and very very quiet. The grounds are beautifully maintained and well looked after, it was a pleasure to walk around, We stayed around the pool nearly every day, all the kids got on great, and had much fun in the pool. great friendships were made and lots of happy memories The food was lovely, we ate here most nights, it was made fresh for you as you ordered. All the staff were great, from the manager Florry to the housekeepers who cleaned the rooms nearly every day of the week, nothing was too much trouble , just ask.The rep Janine was also very good, she was full of local knowledge, a mine of information. was at the resort nearly every day, she was one of the best reps I have ever come across. Hylatio is a quiet, peaceful beautiful relaxing resort, and we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Firstly, I would like to say that whilst I agree with 'Becknaide's' comments re: rooms needing better maintenance I am of the view that the majority of the comments seem overly critical e.g. stairs, lack of space. This is a 3 star hotel and they chose to go SC. If you want free Wifi etc upgrade to 4*.

This hotel does what it says on the tin. It is place to 'fly and flop', soak up some sun and enjoy the quietness of this small resort. The beautiful gardens and well laid out pool area help to achieve this as does the stunning backdrop.

NB on the point of not being able to consume around the pool products not purchased at hotel. I did this and no one batted an eye lid. All bottles of water look the same!

OK so rooms need some TLC but the beds are comfortable and I would recommend hiring a fan for 2.50 euros which is more effective (and quieter) than the AC.

Restaurant food is very tasty and there are some lovely tavernas near the beach and also in the local village.

Finally, I have informed the hotel that if they took as much care maintaining the rooms as much as the lush gardens they would be onto a winner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LucyC915
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pissouri
Columbia Beach Resort Pissouri
Theo Sunset Bay Holiday Village
Club St. George Resort
Club St. George Resort
#67 of 85 in Paphos

Been to Hylatio Tourist Village? Share your experiences!