“Good food, sketchy area”
Review of Captain Cook

Captain Cook
Ranked #65 of 292 Restaurants in Varna Province
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Ontario
“Good food, sketchy area”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We arrived late into Varna, dropped off our gear at the Dimyat and asked them to recommend a place close by that had good seafood. Being on the coast this should not be an issue. They said immediately "Captain Cook". My spidey senses tingled - the name sounds gimmicky.

We took a cab and at 10:00 PM the area is extremely sketchy and not recommended that you walk around alone. The entrance to the place was a mystery and we stumbled into the back of the restaurant which was actually the banquet hall and they were in the middle of a wedding reception. haha we high tailed it out and eventually found an "entrance" to the main restaurant area. Definitely needs a rejuvenated front entrance.

To start we ordered a Goat Cheese salad and Greek Style Calamari - which is deep fried calamari basically. Wife ordered a white wine, I got a gin & tonic to start.

The salad was good, and the calamari was quite good. Wine was subpar and I would recommend you do not order Bulgarian wine as it's nowhere near quality of what most people are familiar with - French, Chilean, etc.

Main course for both of us was the Seabass along with the home made french fries. The seabass was pretty good, nothing to write home about, but I enjoyed it. The french fries reminded me of my grandma's thinly sliced masterpieces and they were the best frites i've had in a restaurant in a long time - really home made. I highly recommend a side dish of these things.

- Decor in this place is really dated and could use a huge renovation and upgrade in furniture.
- We saw a few kids with parents (this was quite late but I guess this is normal for this part of the world) and they used the restaurant as a playground - expect kids into their teens to be playing tag around the tables while waiters try and avoid them with platters of food.
- service by our waiter was good - he spoke decent english and did his best to take care of us
- price - too high. We paid $120 Leva's + another $20 tip so it was $140 Leva's total. Extremely expensive by standards in the area

Would I go back? Likely not cause of the decor, price, and location.

• Visited July 2012

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Captain Cook or a Childrens' playground”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Opinions on my review would be welcome. We went again to this exclusive restaurant overlooking the Port of Varna. This time we took my partner's mother who is disabled. There were 2 ladies on the next table with several children. Most of the children spent the whole evening running round the inside and the balcony. My partner's mother was scared to go to the toilet in case she got knocked over. Other children joined in. One boy (about 8) was crawling on all fours. It is a classy restaurant and the waiters had no idea how to deal with the children and neither did the mothers.
Why do people take badly behaved children to exclusive restaurants?
As for the food - the main courses were not hot enough. And the creme brulee was not caramalised well as the burner didn't work properly. I was offered a second one - but why would I want two when the top was not how it should be? We won't be going again.

• Visited May 2012
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Excellent service, on the expensive side”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We went there with some business partners in November. What was the most impressive thing for me at the restaurant was the great service. The place must have had a ratio of 1 waiter per two people, so anytime you looked up at least 1 person would come to you, quite rare nowadays. The food was of good quality, and the menu had inconsistent pricing in my opinion with the other restaurants in town. It was about 50 euros per person without alcohol and dessert, but we did have a 1.5 kg lobster. this is comparable to London pricing, and actually more expensive than Cyprus. There were on the menu cheaper dishes of course. In any case, overall a good quality restaurant but when I compare it with a fish tavern in Cyprus, the value for money was not at all attractive.

Bratislava
“great food”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Captain Cook is a great restaurant and i would recommend it for both business and pleasure. Great food, great atmosphere. I hope they keep up the quality.

• Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Best sushi ever. Fabulous in every way. Captain Cook "You are worth it"”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We were recommended by a lovely lady we met in Varna. Arrived and sat down sat down at a nice table with a lovely, night-time view of the harbour. The sushi was beautiful, the soup tasty, the main course, a Catalan, Chef's speciality was nicely presented and tasty. My fiance had the turbot, pricey, but very good. Desserts were to die for and beautifully presented. Service superb but not fussy and atmosphere was relaxed. I will download photos of my dessert soon and add later. A little expensive for Varna but as a famous Cosmetic company would say "You are worth it" Only negative point, is people were smoking inside.

• Visited September 2011