“Bad place to visit - Get ready to be ripped off!”
Review of Burgas Province

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
London
17 helpful votes
“Bad place to visit - Get ready to be ripped off!”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

If your after a beach holiday this summer then don't make the mistake we made and choose Burgas, Bulgaria. You may be attracted by the cheap prices and affordable hotels and that fact you can swim in the Black sea but that's as far as the positives will go. Burgas is a very bad place for tourists. Make no mistake about this at every possible opportunity the locals will try to scam you. Yes EVERY possible opportunity. As an honest taxi driver said to us when we asked him about what Bulgaria's main export is and he replied "cheating people".

This is one of those few remaining parts of the world that have not figured out that tourism brings money. I say this because you will not be made to feel welcome there. The locals will get a table inside while you will be asked to sit outside. The locals will view you as someone they can rip off once and not have to see again. Beware, the most common scam is adding items to your restaurant bill. This happened to us every time...The first time you presume it was just a mistake and then when you notice it every time you sit down for a meal and you start to figure it out pretty quickly. They also like to serve you a cheaper food to what you ordered and try to say it was you who placed the wrong order - this also happened often. Try to pay with the exact money also as they don't like to give you change either. The staff will ignore you until you have to ask them for your change and then they will become annoyed claiming they thought you tipped them - one waitress seemed to think a 50% tip was in order.

In case your wondering I can tell you I have travelled all over the world and to much poorer and much less developed countries, so I do consider myself a fairly seasoned traveller. This by far is the worst city I have ever visited for being ripped off/scammed. Its disappointing that this will be my first and last experience of Bulgaria.

Been to Burgas Province? Share your experiences!