“Austrian Charm”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Achenkirch
Berlin, Germany
“Austrian Charm”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

A very beautiful and scenic drive coming from Italy, leave the Brenner at Achensee. You are rewarded with the most spectacular panoramas of mountains, lakes and below lying villages!! The Post Hotel Achenkirch visit was a Pistop and gee what a pit-stop. Vettel could not wish for more!!. We parked the car across the street (below the hotel) on the church grounds. The charming waiter (Maxim) informed us that dining on the Terrace was reserved for hotel guests only. He joked about how busy the terrace was and gallantly (Austrian Charm) took us to a table, promptly our glasses of champagne appeared. A bit too chilly for this time of the year, the external heating was on and soft blankets readily available. The magnificent alpine air instilled huge appetite and we were excited about our order of flank of veal steak and grilled Samlet. It did not disappoint!! Hmmmm....pity we had to skip the wine as we still had some driving to do to our destination in Germany. However, I had a "teaspoon"of Grappa Paola Berta, at €22.00, the finest Grappa after an opulent dinner. Maxim did well in enticing us into having the chocolate bomb (-chen) tiny, accompanied by local berries and homemade ice cream...hmmmmmm, is all I can say. Girls.....get over there.

Armed with the hotel Brochures etc, we left happy, contented, spoiled and with an aftertaste for more, we booked there for next September.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
Southern California
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We planned a two week driving trip in Germany / Austria and my wife looked very hard to include a chance to ride horses in the Alps. We chanced upon Achenkirch and their stable of Lipizzaners. After all, a few days later we would be in Vienna to see the stallions perform at the Spanish Riding School. Great choice. My wife did have the ride of her life in the Alps and said it was fantastic. She would love to do it again. We came here for the riding and it did not disappoint.

The hotel itself was excellent. It is a beautiful resort and spa in a beautiful setting. Although we didn't take advantage of the spa or swimming pools I imagine that it gets many repeat customers who come for a weekend get away. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Staff excellent and friendly. Meals were outstanding. We were given a table for our first dinner and then each subsequent meal we were seated at the same table.

Would definitely do it again. The one thing that I would like to see improved is the wifi. It was not available in our room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
antwerp
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Back for the sixth time and again we were not disappointed, on the contrary, we enjoyed again that fabulous mix of tirolean friendliness, exceptional food, the best welness in the country, fantastic hikes in the mountains, cycling among the lake, ...all served with this immaculate service and perfect service from the staff who made us feel at home again. The hotel has changed over the years, rerouted itself from family hotel to a 16plus welness place with an incredible display of optional sport and other activities ( most included in the price ) such as taichi with shaolin monks.....but it has always been to its benefit and has not degraded its value,...they keep investing in the future with new additions ( new sauna outside and ying and yang pool) but at the same time are not growing too fast and maintain that special 'family character" that makes it so special. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank vpu
antwerp
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Despite the bad weather we had another great vacation in Achenkirch. The fifth time already and we will probably be back next year again. Why? Because the hotel offers everything one needs for a refreshing and quite vacation. Nice rooms, excellent food, great outdoors program, superb spa area and fantastic staff. The only thing we really miss is a place to sit in piece and quite at night apart from the room. The bar area always offers music or some sort of entertainment that restseeking souls might find annoying after some days.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank vpu
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We have stayed in many wellness hotels in Austria and we looked forward to this new experience in a different location on the basis is it always good to see other places. We should have known better and we should have checked with Trip Advisor first. I have just read a few reviews which clearly reflect similar views.
This is a family hotel like many Austrian hotels and full of the fake hoflichkeit that one often encounters. The service was poor from our first arrival at reception until the day we ended our stay four days early.
We were prepared to put up with the poor service and the very average food as we just wanted a nice break in the Tirol but things went from bad to worse.
The much vaunted Wellness area is miserable in comparison to some of the great wellness hotels, the facilities are poor and the staff minimal with one major exception. Tired of the limited facilities in the family area which we had to share with small children and grannies we decided to check out the Undergound Temple where all the so called good stuff was. I, my chinese wife and my married daughter went together to the sauna/steam area, a notice on the wall said this was a quiet and naked area. We did not want to go naked so we attempted to enter one of the small steam rooms while wearing our swimsuits. Suddenly a man appeared fully clothed who told us that we must take our clothes off, we declined and tried to enter the steam room whereupon he seized the door which I was holding and wrenched it from my grasp almost throwing me to the floor and seriously wrenching my shoulder.
I suggested he go and get his boss and it was then that he told me in the most arrogant way I have ever encountered from someone in the hospitality industry that he was the boss and to prove it asked me to "Read my Shirt" on which was printed across the back Sauna Meister.
If it hadn't been so serious I would have laughed but at 72 years old I was still smarting from the pain in my shoulder.
We gave up the fight and told them we would like to see a manager, I was passed off with a receptionist but later that evening we met in the bar with the very young son of the owner who sadly did not have any idea how to deal with the situation and tried to convince us that it was all our fault and that naked was the way it was in this and all wellness hotels in the region which of course is nonsense as my Austrian son-in-law was quick to point out.
He would not make the slightest concession and when we said we would checkout in the morning he made no attempt to apologise for this extraordinary experience.
The hallmark of a good hotel is how they deal with a problematic situation for it is this that will remain in the memory of the guest. This hotel like base metal does not have a hallmark and I would not recommend it in anyway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Midorosan
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Stayed in the Posthotel with husband and in-laws, this was my first time, the others had stayed once before. Had a wonderfully relaxing week skiing and also using the Posthotel spa. The bedrooms are basic but the atmosprehe, spa and especially food well make up for what the rooms might be lacking. I've never experienced such a lavish and varied buffet in a hotel, each evening the dinner was themed ie Italian on one evening, Austrian on the next etc. Even in the middle of the winter the selection of fresh salads and vegetables was amazing! Will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank D_Grey
Manchester UK
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The more time you spend in Austria the more you start to understand their attitude to hospitality and hotel operation - it isn't quick buck territory or a job to take up as an escape from the rat race as we often see in the UK approach to running hotel's.

The Posthotel has been subject to investment by the same family through many generations and it shows - the quality of just about everything from buildings, rooms, fixtures, fittings, facilities is nothing short of lavish; they don't seem to do things to get a break even return in 5 years; they must develop for the next generation to whom they are going to pass the hotel - its only on this basis can you appreciate the attention to detail and expense that goes into this hotel and the experience it creates for its guests.

We stayed for 5 nights then left for Lake Garda and Venice but after two nights away, we cancelled Italy and headed back for 5 more unscheduled nights at the Posthotel - IT WAS THAT GOOD!

Food was of the traditional Austrian type; on the menu it sounds plain weird when translated into English but on the plate, its very familiar to the UK palate and delicious. Breakfast was nothing short of historic - probably one of the most lavish breakfast buffets you'll come across.

Public areas were numerous and luxurious; dining room was stylish but comfortable, bedrooms were large and fitted out to a very high standard and the pool and spa were probably one of the best indoor/outdoor facilities I've seen.

For a family such as ours that enjoys being active it was so easy to have a great vacation; my daughter could go riding everyday on the hotels own stable of pedigree horses, my son and I could go golfing on their 9 hole course, we often had an indoor tennis hall to ourselves and we could all indulge in hiking, biking and sight seeing in the surrounding hills and moutains.

Guess you are getting the impression I liked this place - so true!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank ITTS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Achenkirch
Das Kronthaler
Hotel Zillertaler Hof
#4 of 10 in Achenkirch
Travel Charme Fuerstenhaus am Achensee
Wellnessresidenz Alpenrose

Been to Posthotel Achenkirch? Share your experiences!