“extremely nice”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Achenkirch
St. Gallen, Switzerland
“extremely nice”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Another place you want to be. Very well situated hotel, modern look, very well trained and friendly staff, who make you feel at home. Quality of food is very good. All the buffets, dinner are of high quality and very fresh. The wellnes area is very impressive and the view from whatever side, from the pool, always breath taking. And in winter it is fabulous.....right at the slope, close to the skilift, nice slopes, very convenient are full service at hotel, what more do you want.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel, half business and half pleasure and from beginning to end I have to say than the hotel is extremely good in the following: accommodation, swimming pool, sauna, spa, service, gastronomy, living areas.

only two buts, one important, the hotel price is very reasonable if you use their full board package, but if you want to use it as a base to travel and you miss some meals, the price becomes very expensive, so as there is no option to do B&B or HB, be aware of this.

Second but, for such a modern and boutique hotel, it would be nice if they good make an effort to have all information bilingual. Almost ALL information is not transalated (including the SPA menu with the treatments!), (only exception is menu for dinner), so much of the times you dont know what is going on if you do not speak German. For an international hotel, this is a bad let off.

overall anyway a very nice stay

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Read my other reviews. You'll see that I'm highly critical in how I rate hotels. And most other hotels that I have rated very highly are 5 stars that cost $700+ per night. That being said, let me tell you about this place.

It's an all-inclusive. Here's what I'm getting for about $170/night: Breakfast, dinner, unlimited afternoon snacks, 5 course dinner, unlimited use of the spa.

They have a huge swimming pool, mountain bikes, boat excursions on the nearby glacier-fed lake. Everyday they have tons of activities to include yoga, pilates, and guided mountain hikes. I just got a massage for $40 that was incredible. My room is a suite that has a bathroom about twice the size of most kitchens. My balcony overlooks the Alps and the lake. I leave the door open all day and night, and I hear is, well, nothing. Every once in a while some distant cowbells or a rooster crowing. Sometimes a boat horn on the lake.

The temps are upper 70's by day, upper 50's at night, no humidity. It's mountain air, so you know how good that is. The place is only 2 years old, so basically brand new.

Das Kronthaler is a total bargain for what you get. The food is so good it blows your mind. The dining area is open 24 hours a day. During your entire stay, you are assigned a table that is yours, and nobody else can sit there. There are little areas all over the place with the tables hidden away, so youre table will be totally private. And it's all yours, so you can use it anytime and never worry about having to find a seat.

The food serving area has areas with coffee, about 30 different kinds of tea, 10 different kinds of bread, and pastries. I've heard, thought I cannot confirm, that kids under the age of 12 are not allowed. So it is a quiet, elegant place where you go to escape all that. If you want the family place, there's a hotel down the street that caters specifically to families with kids. So far the only kids I've seen have been high school and older.

This place has a quiet, private, sophisticated feel.... with NO EGO. The staff is attentive, quick, sharp, well-trained, extremely polite and respectful.

I can tell you with absolute certainty: A place this good in the US would probably cost you $1,000/night. But that's the thing, there IS NO place like this in the US. Nothing. Even. Close. This place offers tremendous value for what you pay. Anyone who complains about this place should have their head checked. Seriously.

I don't know what else I can say but that if you enjoy the mountains, outdoor activities, good food (and lots of it), lots of fresh air, and TONS of things to do, you have to come here. Plan on spending a week. Anything less will only leave you wanting more!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank eilig
München
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I enjoyed 3 wonderful day in das Kronthaler. After having spent some wonderful week ends in Austria in wonderful hotels, I never thought that I could top that up. Das Kronthaler did!

From the check in onwards, everything went perfect. The first impression was a prosecco glass on the terrace in the sun, looking onto the lake. It directly went on with the room (004), a wonderfully clean and really big room all very modern and full of luxury. Even the shower was about so big as my kitchen at home! A wonderful terrace with view on the lake enhanced on the nicest room I have been given to sleep in. I can understand that the mattresses might be too hard for some people, for me they were perfect.

The spa area was also very clean and modern. Maybe the steam room could be a bit warmer, otherwise, everything was clean and great. Peelings were also available, which made the whole experience very positive. One big plus point was that the spa area and pool are opened until 9pm. Not very often to be seen :)

For your leisure, everything is there. A big modern pool, bikes and hiking equipment, yoga lessons... Full service inclusive. A pleasure

I tried the massage and also really enjoyed it-

The food.... Well another big plus point. thanks to an amazing full pension, there is always something to fullfill your wishes. Breakfast, lunch, cafe kuchen, and 5-course dinner, everything fresh and tasty. The wine advised for dinner might be a bit expensive, but they also have a normal wine menu, which you can ask. IN a word, the culinary experience was also a success. And... alcohol free drinks are inclusive, which is rarely the case. Even the coffee in the afternoon! Great all around

Last but not least, A wonderful team was there, fulfilling every wishes. Thank you so much

IN a word, I spent a wonderful active and wellness week end. And to prove that it was really a very special experience, I will go back in 4 weeks!

Room Tip: I had a double M, it was perfect, modern and clean
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pitchounelle
Munich
Reviewed December 11, 2011

I recently organised a team meeting for our small team of 12 people. The hotel was superb in every respect, the helpfulness of the staff, the rooms modern and faultless and the seminar faclities also very good. Our whole team had nothing but compliments about the choice and location - close to Achensee (where we did a team event through an agency recommended by the hotel) and on the slopes for skiing (although we were slightly pre-season).

The hotel is only one year old and I had the impression that as it is not yet fully established the staff made an extra effort to make us feel welcome (our company logo was displayed everywhere and Mr. Hlebaina, the hotel manager, invited us for a drink).

Regarding price, it is in the upper range but we had a good business group offer and having stayed there (and many many other hotels in the region of Austria) this is very fair.

I would visit Das Kronthaler again happily, also with friends for skiing or a nice weekend away (although children under 12 are not welcome which makes it an excellent couples hotel).

Thank you to the Kronthaler team, keep up the good work and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Anthony D

Room Tip: Most rooms have a great view over the valley but I guess there is Valley view (splendid) or mountain...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AnthonyMunich
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at the Kronthaler for a weekend and found no fault. Reading some of the other reviews we were cautious before booking but the stay turned out brilliant. Friendly staff, great architecture, clean and the food was fantastic.
We found the price justified for the offering and believe it was great value. We will be back and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
NL
Reviewed August 9, 2011

It's a nice hotel but well overpriced if you know basic arithmetics. We did experience the fact that this hotel is a brand new hotel (meant - sadly - both ways). The room, the dinner and the facilities and services were generally of a good quality, the restaurant personal very kind and nice. The breakfast was on the other hand ridiculous considering the price; not much to choose from and of a quality at the level of 2 stars / 3 stars hotels. We were also quite unsatisfied about the poor customer management skills of the young lady providing us the information about the conditions at the reception. A birthday party disturbed us late in the night, but I guess that many such hotels are good overpriced places for events in the summer...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank O V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Achenkirch
Romantik Hotel der Wiesenhof
Sport- & Wellnesshotel Held
Kinderhotel Buchau
Kinderhotel Buchau
#1 of 9 in Maurach

Been to Das Kronthaler? Share your experiences!