Tripadvisor
Ella
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews banana pancakes train station the owner two nights wifi scooter nets
Selected filters
Reviewed October 23, 2019 via mobile

We visited Ella a couple of weeks ago. We had three rooms, my room you had to put your hand out the window to open your door to get out, excuse was the door handle fell off last night. When we arrived at the Inn we were very disappointed, very old, not very clean, cats sitting on chair, we were only there for two nights so decided to stay as it was raining very heavily, owner was helpful, we locked our rooms and went out for the full day, when we returned someone had been in the rooms ???. Breakfast was cheap and ok. The only good aspect of this accomodation was the wifi and the location, otherwise I would say give it a miss.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed August 31, 2019

The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable, really worth the cheap price.
The owners of the hostel are very kind and helpful, they helped me with anything i needed from tuktuk drivers to carrying my surfboards to the train
station and showing me where to buy .tickets
The place is located 100M from the busy part of the street so its quiet
But still close to restaurants and shops.
I really recommend staying in this place.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2019 via mobile

My partner and I had a wicked stay here and were a little sad to leave. We felt really comfortable and free here! You can hire out a scooter, cruise round Ella and surrounding area’s which is and are all... Gorgeous!! The breakfast is monumental! My favourite part is the banana pancake which is as thick as a book. So good! Beds are comfy, mosquito nets included ofc! Nice rooms, bathroom and a nice little seating area. The restaurant across the road is great! So cheap, tasty and so close. Could of stayed for longer but ofc we all have places to go and people to meet!

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed December 29, 2018 via mobile

We are backpacking through Asia for 6 months now and mostly stay in budget locations, so don‘t have huge expectations to home stays that don‘t cost a lot, but this one was the worst. We stayed in room 01.

The room: the room was very dirty (mold on the walls, many many ants running through the bathroom and bedroom, linen dirty, see pics).

The bathroom: bathroom was dirty and broken everywhere (sink cracked, toilet seat cracked, water heater thermostat broken). We could either shower cold or boiling hot, since the regulator wheel was broken.

The owner: I was convinced by how nice the owner seems to be in the reviews I read here. And yes, he seems nice, but he is a sneaky guy. He organizes transport for you and says “city people are more expensive, don’t ask them, my friends give you best price”. But asking the „city people“ results in them matching his price without even negotiating. So don’t fall for this, he just wants commission from his buddies (we saw one bringing in money in the evening).

And to top it off, when leaving to Hikkaduwa after our stay, he organized a transfer for us with stop at Diyaluma falls for 60$. He gave me his phone to negotiate the terms. The next day we get in a car and tell the driver our first stop and he nods and drives on. After passing the exit to Diyaluma falls, we told him he went wrong and needs to turn. He hands us his phone and we talk to the owner of the taxi company, who was a different guy than I talked to. Turns out, we got a different company driving us, who wanted a higher price (he never heard about the conditions I negotiated). Calling Tunnel Corner Inn, the owner was utterly useless and played innocent/not understanding me. It ended up us having to pay about 20$ more for the ride as we also did not want to loose time.

All in, the worst experience we had in all of Asia in over 6 months: the owner and the room at Tunnel Corner Inn

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

For the price you pay Ella Tunnel Corner Inn is completely worth it. It’s ran by Weera Koon who is a great host. Always available to help drawing maps, organising bike rentals and more. Top location, top hotel!

Date of stay: June 2018