“COOL”
Review of Ambiente

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ella
Ambiente
Ranked #133 of 184 Ella B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have stayed in Ambiente already three times and I cannot think of visiting Sri Lanka without staying a few days in this location. Perfect location, even today that Ella is being destroyed by the flood of tours staying one night, and is in the process of being over-built. There can never be anything to destroy the view from the verandas of Ambiente. You can easily spend a whole day just doing nothing. Put your feet up and enjoy the view as it changes as the day progresses until the sun set. Great food, great walks, great everything. Choose one of the rooms next to the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Ambiente definitely has a breathtaking view - I woke up early to see sunrise and was not disappointed, but the guesthouse was the worst that I stayed in during my three weeks in Sri Lanka.
The room itself was fairly spacious and and had a big terrace which had a fabulous view over Ella Gap. Unfortunately, there were a few problems with the room: there was no hot water in the shower, the light in the bathroom sparked and smoked (but the owner did try to solve this as soon as I reported it), the toilet leaked, and the furniture provided was a little mouldy, old and battered.
These are fairly small issues, but I also found the food to be below par compared to all the other places I stayed during my holiday (and I stayed in 10 different guesthouses/hotels). The rice and curry was the most edible dish on the menu. The cups, teapots, cutlery were often chipped or dirty and the dining room was not so clean.
Breakfast was better than dinner and in hindsight it was a mistake to stay there half-board. Ella village is in walking distance and I should have eaten at one of the restaurants there instead.
If a view is the most important thing for you then stay here, but I would suggest there are much better places in Ella than Ambiente.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We stayed one night here in Ella and I just loved the view of the mountains. I found the staff to be helpful and courteous and the food was delicious. The room was a little run down and the bed squeaked but it was clean. I definitely wouldn't say to avoid it, there are very few places in Ella with that view for that price but don't expect a luxurious room. Overall a lovely stay and I can't wait to return to Ella.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We were in Ella in June 2012 and had one night in ambiente. Nothing worked in the bathroom, water leak, no hot water and it was plenty of mosquitos.
Clearly, nothing has been done to repair the bathroom.
The owner didn't care about us..
The view was a great experience, but this was the worst hotel/guesthouse we made in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We stayed here for one night before moving onto the Waterfalls Homestay. The views from this place are spectacular. The staff were very helpful as we had to change room (the toilet wasn't working in the first). The second room we had was fine, although very dated for a 'new' room. I wouldn't say this is the best place you can stay but the place was good enough for a short stay. Get up super early and watch the sunrise, and the sunset is not to be missed :)

Room Tip: All about the same from what I could tell, but we were in a 'high, new room' apparently.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

To be sincere we really need to share the amazing view there was just looking from the window of the room.. The disappointing things were the staff very serious and smile less and the clean-less that was everywhere. The room was smelly and the bathroom very old and permanently dirty. The food not special.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Ambiente is located in the hills facing Ella Gap and "little adams peak". I personally enjoyed this place a lot, all though we stayed for only 1 night. I was very taken by the view from the gardens and our terrace. Night time you can see people climbing up the little adams peak with lanterns, day time you can enjoy the lush and green Ella valley with it's waterfalls. I felt like I was in the Alps, only the vegetation was tropical and lush and it was warm. :D
The food in Ambiente was the usual Lankan cuisine, curry and so on. Nothing special really. The one thing that really surprised me was that they didn't serve any alcohol, not even with dinner.
If you pick Ambiente as your accommodation, be sure to ask for a room with a private balcony. Do NOT take a room in the bungalow, if you appreciate a good nights sleep, because that's where the drivers sleep/party. We stayed in room nr.1 (in the building with private balconies) and slept like babies. :)

Room Tip: If you pick Ambiente as your accommodation, be sure to ask for a room with a private balcony. Do NOT...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple