“Good Rotti”

Down Town Rotti Hut
Ranked #22 of 77 Restaurants in Ella
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We warmly welcome who like to enjoy with us calm and cool relaxing ella and specially. We have authentic food with our style menus designed for tourists If you are looking some diffarent experience with vibes please come too. We arranging your vacation with food and beverages which is looking your toung and mind.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

The place to go when wanting to eat rotti. Lots of choice on the menu. The location is great for people watching.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

This roadside hut serves good sized portions of flavorsome Kottu Roti. The sweet banana rotti are also worth a try.

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Definitely the best of ella. Great food, went back quite a few times. Food is served pretty quickly. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Good rotti at a reasonable price. Not a fancy restaurant but well worth a stop and since the eating area is very small I would probably more recommend it for lunch than dinner.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I ordered vegetable kothu rotti, my wife ordered masala dosa (thosai).

I'm not sure if it's a tourist thing, but the masala dosa was in no way 'masala' - it was plain potatoes and a few bits of onion in a dosa, which was as tasteless as it sounds. This was the second time we'd ordered something in Sri Lanka which came with absolutely no spice involved, and I'm beginning to think it's for fear of frightening the tourists. My wife didn't bother finishing it and went to buy some chevda mix in a shop elsewhere for some actual taste.

The kothu roti - admittedly, my first time trying it - was not exactly exciting either. A bit more taste, but again 'bland' was the main adjective. After making myself eat a quarter of it. I just poured a tub of curry into it and ate curry-flavoured mush.

The restaurant was coated in a thick layer of pretty fearless flies, but as I've said elsewhere, the entire town of Ella seems to be afflicted by this. This spot however seemed to be particularly popular as there was curry and bits of veg splattered around the walls and floor - the tables did manage to get a quick wipe of a rag before we sat down.

We chose this place as it was recommended on a wiki and here it has plenty of good reviews. Therefore I'm not sure if we happened to just order some dud menu items, came on a bad day, or if we've just had too much excellent Tamil food living in KL to be impressed by tourist fare. I'm not even ruling out that there's two 'Down Towns' these days. However, I can only review based on our own experiences.

To try to end on some positive notes, the place does have free wifi (that they helpfully don't turn off when they're closed, for when you need to recheck the train timetable at 6am), it's pretty cheap (though cheap is not an excuse for low standards) and service was reasonably quick.