“Best hotel of our trip”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Ella
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel of our trip”
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Rooms and setting is breathtaking. Loved our stay here, Is little way from the centre of Ella, but the walk to little adams peak goes past the hotel. Great menu, amazing Sri lankan breakfasts as well.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachael C
98acres, Owner at 98 Acres Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Hello

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We hope you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed every moment. We highly appreciate the good rating and the review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you liked the hike to Little Adams Peak, and will make sure the Chef knows you loved the Sri Lankan breakfast. Thank you again for staying with us. Hope to see you again at 98 Acres Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This resort is pretty special. It's a short tuk tuk ride out of Ella, with spectacular views over Little Adam's Peak.

It's a popular place, so a recommend booking in advance, as we tried to extend our 1 night stay to 2, however they were fully booked.

The rooms are clean and tidy, each with a balcony to overlook the hills ahead.

The restaurant for breakfast is a climb up some steps to reach and even higher point, located near a good swimming pool. The breakfast is great value, as the food just keeps coming!

Probably our favourite resort in Sri Lanka.

1 Thank Luke B
Hello

Thank you so much for deciding to stay with us. We hope you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Thank you for your thoughts and comments and the review on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you enjoyed the views and would surely let the Chef know you enjoyed the food as well. Please do come again, it would be a pleasure having you. Hope to see you again at 98 Acres Resort.
Cannock Staffordshire
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. The views from our room were spectaclur. Lovely walks around the Tea Plantations and up Little Adam Peak before relaxing around the pool and enjoying the views. We were also able to walk into Ella which we enjoyed. The staff are so friendly, helpful and honest. I didnt realise my bracelet had fallen off until the waiter came running after me. Fantastic breakfast and evening meal. Would definately recommend a stay here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kddowen
Hello

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We hope you had a wonderful stay. We are so glad you enjoyed the hikes in the plantations and Little Adams Peak. Thank you so much for the kind comments and the review on Trip Advisor. We will make sure to convey your kind thoughts and comments to the staff and would also let the Chef know you loved the food. Hope to see you again at 98 Acres Resort. Thank you again.
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, its lovery place with great view and it was much needed relaxing place for us after touring few days around the country. foods was good as well most of all the view make this place remarkble place to stay . we truely enjoy our stay and of course we look forward to coming back nex year.

Rates was not that cheap but view worth the price.

Simon Q

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello

Thank you so much for opting to stay with us. We hope you had a wonderful stay and are so glad you enjoyed the views and everything we had to offer. Thank you for the kind comments and the review on Trip Advisor. We will make sure the chef knows you liked the food. Please do come again, it was a pleasure having you. Hope to see you again at 98 Acres Resort.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 1, 2014

On a suggestion from a friend, we stopped here for lunch only and it was amazing!! The food fantastic and the views are spectacular! The overall resort seems amazing and we'd love to stay here on our next visit to Sri Lanka.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hello

Thank you so much for visiting our resort. We are glad you enjoyed your time at our resort and enjoyed the food as well. We will make sure to convey your thoughts to the Chef and thank you for the review on Trip Advisor. Please do come again and maybe next time stay a day or two at our resort, it would be a pleasure to have you. Hope to see you again at 98 Acres Resort.
London
Reviewed April 29, 2014

What can I say? - I had very high expectations of this place, and 98 acres exceeded them. As someone else has previously said, I am almost worried about giving this place a good review as it reduces the chances of securing a room on my next visit! - Actually, when I initially tried to book, there were no rooms available. However, I kept checking the website and eventually one came up for two of our three nights in Ella. I had wanted a deluxe room with a bath as I am pregnant and bathing is very soothing, and this is exactly what we got. - and for those romantics out there, the bath is more than big enough for two!

The room is simply stunning. It opens right up and you feel like you are right in nature with tea plantations all around. The view is indescribable and has to be witnessed firsthand, especially at sunrise which is a must. There is wonderful wildlife too. I have to say, I am one of those annoying women who will send my husband to remove spiders, moths etc. However, as the hotel says, this is the animals place and we are visitors and I would never hurt the animals, but I did prepare myself to encounter them (as would be sensible when staying in an Eco hotel in the mountains, and it surprises me that to some people this comes as a shock!). Saying this, I did not find the insects and animals a problem at all in the room.

I loved the pool area and found it very relaxing and refreshing and spend an entire day there. The views are just so wonderful.

We found the food in the hotel to be very good. They have both Sri Lankan and Western options. However, they do sometimes forget to bring both menus, which may have led some people to think that the options are limited. - Make sure you ask to see both. One comment about the restaurant and room service is that it might be beneficial for the staff to have a little more training to ensure they get the orders correct. We really liked to staff and we were so relaxed by the amazing place that patience came easily, but to those who are less patient staff getting orders incorrect or not listening to the entire order (which happened a couple of times, especially when ordering room service) could be frustrating. They need to be encouraged to write the order down and read it back to check as this would solve the problem. The chef was wonderful and personally come to ask if everything was OK which was a lovely touch.

Finally, the only negative thing I have to say concerns the order of a taxi from the hotel to our next location, Unawatuna). While I am usually very happy with public transport we decided to book a private car as I was 6 months pregnant and I felt I would benefit from the comfort, careful driving, air con and ability to stop to use the toilet (which is a real requirement for pregnant women as most will know!). - The hotel arranged this for us with a local company. Understandably the car was considerably more expensive than other travel options and it was really quite awful. It was an old van driven by two young guys who promptly tried to encourage us to go to lots of other places on the way at extra cost. I explained that, as I was really pregnant it would be best to go straight there. It had very bad suspension and half drunk bottles of alcohol around our feet. There was no air conditioning. By the same we got to Tangalla (which they wanted to stop in so they could conduct some personal errands) I was desperate to use the toilet and they refused to stop until they got to somewhere they knew where the owners gave them free food and really ripped my husband and I off. - By the time we reached the destination I was feeling really very unwell. While this was not the hotel directly, I did trust them to organise a good car for us and I would advise them to reconsider who they book, or organise your own car independently as there are many taxi services available.

Aside from the taxi issue though, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a very magical, rustic experience in a place of unparalleled natural beauty.

Room Tip: I personally loved the Deluxe room
2 Thank Wise1London
98acres, Owner at 98 Acres Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hello
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We are so glad you had a wonderful and relaxing stay at our resort. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed everything we had to offer. It is quite true what you had to say about the insects, since it is an Eco Resort and built on a tea plantation, tiny insects tend to creep through the windows, but they are really harmless, we are glad you had no problem with that. Thank you so much for the wonderful thoughts on the rooms and the review on Trip Advisor, we have taken your suggestions about the waiting staff into consideration and advised them to act accordingly, thank you for that. It is true about the Sri Lankan menu, if they forget all you have to do is ask, and we are glad you did. We will let the chef know you liked the food.
And Lastly we would like to take the opportunity to heartily apologize for the experience with the taxi service, we found out about the taxi service and immediately stopped using their services, it was a mistake made on our end and we are utterly sorry you had to go through such an unpleasant experience and specially being in your condition. We will make sure to take extra precautions to make sure the next time we hire taxi services for the guests, this kind of thing never happens. Again we are so sorry.
Other than that we hope you had a wonderful experience at our resort, please don’t hesitate to come again, it was pleasure having you stay at 98 Acres Resort.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This was a difficult review to choose the start rating. There are so many things that are just stellar.

The view. The staff. The serenity. The view, did I mention the view?

We had a delux room that was furnished simply but beautifully. We had a balcony with two chairs and a little table which was lovely for watching the sun rise - it is only a little cramped.

The staff was incredibly friendly and we felt very much at home.
The restaurant is stunning.
For dinner the first night we decided to go to the restaurant and after eating Sri Lankan food for a while we ordered the spicy beef burger and the pasta arrabiata. My salad for starter had a tasty dressing.

The red wine we ordered was terrible and only mad better by the fact that the food was even worse....both dishes, that are supposed to be (at least mildly spicy) were totally bland. A waiter came to ask us how the dish was and after our complain speedily offered different chilli options to make it spicier and it was at least eatable.

We were very disappointing with the food and decided to go for dinner the next night somewhere else. At dinner they asked us what we want for breakfast and we both opted for the Sri Lankan breakfast for me vegetarian and for my finance with chicken.

Breakfast the next morning blew us away! It was not believable that we were at the same restaurant! The food was spicy, tasty and just amazing! The breakfast the second day was the same! The best food I had in Sri Lanka!

We visited during Sri Lankas hottest time so it was not the fault of the hotel that we couldnt sleep due to heat. The fan was not enough but I am sure most month of the year it is. It is nice and cool outside but quite stuffy in the rooms - mosquito nets on the side windows that would enable to open them for the nice natural breeze would remedy that.

We had a great time in Ella and enjoyed our time in at 98 acres. We climbed Little Adams peak and relaxed at the pool.

We'll gladly come back (we won't pick April though, too hot for us) and then we will stick with the stellar Sri Lankan food.

3 Thank Carisa78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ella
The Mountain Heavens
#7 of 12 in Ella
Lakshmis Hotel
Lakshmis Hotel
#4 of 12 in Ella

Been to 98 Acres Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!