“Superb Place”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ella
Negombo
“Superb Place”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Simply a breathtaking place. No one could have picked a better place for a hotel than this. Staff is very friendly and helpful, food is also great. Rooms have a stunning view of the mountains and the restaurant has a 360 degree view. Initially I went here for a lunch but decided to stay the next day here as I was amazed by the view and the service. This place was highly recommend to me by couple of my friends and I would also highly recommend to anyone

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ranjula K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I arrived at 98 acres with trepidation after reading some of the previous negative reviews and unfortunately have to agree with many of them.

The hotel is in a magnificent setting and the grounds have been landscaped beautifully, with a lovely swimming pool set in the gardens.

The room we stayed in (101) is located at the end and the views are really breathtaking...room is a great size with lovely balcony but unfortunately it is difficult to enjoy with the number of bugs that you are sharing it with. I understand that it is set in the countryside but there is more they could do to control this..we experienced countless moths, a few crickets, a gecko, a cockroach and many other unidentified insects in our 3 nights there. If this is something that would bother you please bear it in mind as I was unable to relax in the room at night. On the first night we arrived it was particularly bad as they had left the bathroom shutter open, despite telling us to close all doors and windows past 6pm. I am sure that with some screens and some attention to closing up some of the large gaps this could be improved. We also stayed at Chaaya Wild, in a chalet in the jungle, and did not encounter a single bug during our stay so it can be done.

The pool area is lovely but on our second day the pool was not cleaned at all and was covered in leaves and very cloudy. There were lots of staff around that did not seem to be doing very much so why basics like this are not maintained I just cannot understand.

The restaurant area is lovely with 360 degree views over the countryside. The breakfast is by far the most basic we had during our stay in Sri Lanka and is exactly the same every day, this is an area that could easily be improved with a few pastries/breads on offer and perhaps a choice of fruits and juices rather than the basic plate that is presented to you. The other food that we had whilst there (one lunch and one dinner) was good although the service a bit slow.

Generally the staff are friendly and helpful although of the 5 places we stayed in Sri Lanka I would say that they would score the lowest on this front, especially the reception welcome which was lukewarm at best.

All in all, this is a good but certainly not great hotel. I think with a little work and a bit more attention to detail it could be fantastic though..they certainly have a great canvas to work with and it wouldn't take a great deal of work to get it to a 5 rating!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Galle, Sri Lanka
Reviewed March 10, 2013

yeah you got everything as above mentioned still would like to express some facts one should take attention before going there.make sure you get an upper floor rooms as its magnificent 360 ' views and the bathtub coz ground floor rooms doesn't have and i requested early though i didnt get it.make sure you are pretty much ready for your sleep since after 10 pm there is no service from the housekeeping and the front office till 6.am. and make sure to grab some beer if you are a beer lover they do not serve them.for us food is fantastic specially there friuts so fresh all of them are homegrown as i heard ,restaurant staff is pretty much looking after you mode so no worries,rooms are cozy oh do not forgot to sit on there bean bags in the restaurant and you will feel the spine chilling wind all over your face in the evening from magical ,misty hills in the ella gap........

Room Tip: upper floor rooms..........
2 Thank GKCT2013
98acres, Owner at 98 Acres Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi there, Thanks for you review about 98 acres, you have given some lovely comment of our food and the service but unfortunately we cannot agree with some issues you have pointed out in the review.
WE DO SERVE BEER and other alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages on every day expect "poya" holidays from 10am to 10 pm which are the legal times for opening hotel bars in sri lanka.
Out of over 50 hotels/guest houses We are one of the three hotels who owns a bar permit to serve alcohol in Ella area.
So please do not mis lead our future guests by giving false information.
And we do have an equally good view on both upper floors and lower floors, but we only have bath tubs in upper floors which are booked on first come first serve basis.
And we have people in and around the resort 24 hours a day in case of emergencies and our phones will be answered around the clock for your inquires.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We spent 2 nights at 98 Acres Resort while on a tour around Sri Lanka. I cannot fault the resort - the staff were polite, friendly and the service was great. The views are stunning - even if you aren't staying, it's definitely worth having a drink at the restaurant to take in the view. The mocktails are delicious too!

Great food, beautiful surroundings, lovely rooms and faultless service - very happy traveller!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a stone bath (these are limited) so you can have a bath and enjoy the view at the s...
1 Thank 247HFox
Ayubowan!!
Thanks a lot for your excellent review on TA. It indeed great to hear a voice of a very satisfied guest. I will pass your comment to all our staff members.
We would love to have you with us again so please do visit us again if you come back to sri lanka. Thanks again
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I was abit apprehensive about booking this hotel after reading the reviews below and indeed the reviews are quite accurate.
However I ended up really enjoying our stay here so don't be put off. It has the best views in Ella and is beautiful and peaceful. The rooms are nice, spacious and all have the balcony over the view - the bathrooms were not really to my taste, but perfectly clean and spacious. 98acres is just outside Ella mainstay street but there is a cut through past little Adam's peak that makes it easily walkable down to the main street and it is a 5 minute drive at night. You can walk but we hadn't brought a torch and the hotel did not provide one.

The things that stopped me from rating this hotel higher I think have been mentioned below but I will highlight them anyway. Service all round was lukewarm. We had asked for someone to pick us up from the station but it never arrived so we made our own way. Reception was on the phone on arrival which meant of course we had to wait but then they kept answering new phone calls whilst we sat there being told to wait until finally we got fed up and interrupted. Little things like a torch for walking into town at night would have been useful and clearing plates of food/drink from the room quicker would have been nice as sometimes they were left for a day. Advising us of the cut through to town, walking routes etc would have been useful on arrival as we first took the long main road route.

The restaurant we actually warmed too with each visit. On arrival it had been a long journey and we popped up for coffee at the cafe to find that most things were not available that day and service was lukewarm. Based on this we actually booked our main meals elsewhere. However we did not have this problem any other days when we went up for coffee and lunch (in fact not everything is on the snack menu so ask what is available and you might be surprised). We never ate in the evening after our coffee experience but on our last day we asked if we could have a Sri Lankan breakfast not western which was no problem. The 'string hopper' breakfast was absolutely fantastic which makes me think the dinner we never stayed for was most probably good. Such a shame we were put off by our initial visit. The restaurant is also in a lovely location with 360 degree views and had good wifi.

Overall I think it's pretty new and everyone is learning. The views cannot be beaten elsewhere in town and the staff are friendly if a little disorganised. It just needs the extra touch you get at the guesthouses down the road of great service, friendly welcome and to add some small things due to being slightly out from town like offering a greater range of snacks and lunch in the restaurant and torches for the walk at night which would really then make this place one of the best places to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
buckie
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel sells itself as an Eco hotel sadly this doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny. If only the standard of service and food matched the view....the food was poor and yet this area is renowned for its curry and rice cuisine. Very greasy poppadum a/ cold curry and a total lack of any atmosphere in the restaurant. Also appalled to see football on tv during dinner. Really really disappointing for a supposed boutique hotel. This hotel relies on the situation/landscape / natural wonders and wonderful views but it need to step up in the food and service dept.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
98acres, Owner at 98 Acres Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you for your review.
We must first explain the law in sri lanka on serving alcoholic beverages on "Poya" Days.
"Poya" Day is a religious holiday in sri lanka where you are NOT allowed to serve any alcoholic beverage in the restaurant premises. This is the law in sri lanka. So when you said you are tired and you wanted a beer we had to kindly refuse because it was a Poya day. We explain the reason for this as well. So to complain about not having beer on a poya day is very unfair. As a proffesional business entity we cannot break the governance law in sri lanka.

I believe our refusal to serve beer has led to all the other complains as well. We are a very small resort so if you come across any problem during your stay and if you talk to our people about it we are more than happy to correct that mistake asap.
I do not understand what you meant by lack of atmosphere at the restaurant but we have good, large restaurant with lounge music, comfortable chairs or bean bags and a wonderful staff to take care of you.
And please note that the TV is only for the bar area and we have put some sports channel on the TV if anyone is interested to see some sports during a small drink/beer at the bar. but i'm really sorry that it was not how you liked it.
Colombo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Me and my family went to 98 acres and resort because of a recommendation my cousin gave. We stayed there for 3 nights. Before leaving I read lot of comments and looked at lot of pics in this site. I was already expecting a spectacular view when I went to the resort. Unfortunately when we arrived it was raining and covered in mist couldn't see a thing. Bit too cold for my liking as well.

Staff was very helpful, polite and pleasant. Room was quite unique just as I heard. Most amazingly without heater rooms temperature was very comfortable, unlike outside. I think it has some thing to do the stone walls. Rooms quite spacious with free wifi, cable tv and nice and comfy bed. Bathroom fittings were unique as well but I didn't really like it much. Specially the shower it felt bit uncomfortable and felt a bit gloomy. But other members of my family really liked it. Variety of the food was not that good but still they were delicious.

When I woke up around 6.30 I could see mist almost covering the balcony as well. But it cleared up within about hour revealing stunning view everyone talked about. Well I can't explain it, I don't think I ll be able to do justice t the view. Then i realised the why theirs so much buzz about this resort.

Last day of my stay I didn't feel like leaving the resort. In most comments members have said things can be improved in the resort and I agree with them.I know it is relatively new and i hope that management will rectify the small faults they have. If it does improve it has the capability of becoming one of the greats in Sri Lanka. I definitely recommend this place to every one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rashaero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ella
The Mountain Heavens
#5 of 11 in Ella
Heritance Tea Factory
Heritance Tea Factory
#1 of 29 in Nuwara Eliya

Been to 98 Acres Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!