“wonderful destination, personal service”

Forest Paradise - Ella
Ranked #63 of 184 Ella B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2013

we have had a great few days here starting with a welcome arak with Nelly the owner, he is a funny and amazing character, he helped us get great prices for all our local trips and for a taxi to our next destination, the food is good and he can organize anything you need, Ella is a great little town with friendly locals, spectacular views and great hikes, i would suggest to anyone to come and stay with Nelly at Forest Paradise and check out Ella for a few days of hiking and relaxing, and dont miss a tour of the Tea factory.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We arrived in Ella by train after leaving Delhousie and were taken by tuktuk to Forest Paradise which was a couple of minutes away. Our first impressions were very positive; the grounds were beautiful and our room was very clean and well furnished including a mosquito net. The owner, Nelly, welcomed us, and was clearly knowledgeable about the surrounding area. Over the course of our stay (3 nights) Nelly organised a trip to Hapelwatte Tea Factory and a visit to Dowa temple through his friendly neighbour who is a tuktuk driver. He also asked the tuktuk driver to take us to a pharmacy for wounds suffered during our climb of Adam's Peak in Delhousie. The tuktuk driver was very helpful and spoke excellent English which came in handy at the temple as there was no guide provided. He also made our trip unique by taking us to places off the beaten track which we really enjoyed.

Where Nelly excelled himself was in arranging for us to attend a cookery lesson at the Ella Gap Hotel which we would thoroughly recommend. We prepared and then ate various Sri Lankan dishes with the very friendly kitchen and management team at the Ella Gap, and this was a particular highlight of our trip.

On the theme of food, the meals served at Forest Paradise by Nelly and his boys were outstanding. We had the banana leaf curry and then rice and curry on the following night. We also had the Sri Lankan breakfast. Each meal was freshly prepared and tasted delicious.

We had a fantastic stay at Forest Paradise. The setting, room, food, and quality of service provided by Nelly make this a true paradise. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked Forest Paradise through Booking.com. I also emailed a week beforehand to confirm my reservation. When I arrived I was greeted by an adolescent boy who told me the hotel was full (overbooked) and that I would have to stay in the hotel next door, Eden View, which was also owned by his family. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told he wasn’t there. The phone number I had on my booking didn’t work, and the boy gave me another, though given all the scams I had read about, I had no way of knowing if I was actually speaking to the manager.

As there was no other option available and I couldn’t face trekking round town with a heavy bag, I eventually agreed to stay in the other hotel, though I was very worried this was some sort of scam.

My room in Eden View was just a white box, not nearly as nice as the photos I’d seen of Forest Paradise.

I’ve always booked through Booking.com as I thought it was more of a guarantee than phone or email reservations, but this is clearly not the case. I had the same problem with Sundaras Resort, Dambulla (separate review).

Booking.com should make sure all its hotels have good, secure, unequivocal booking systems in place to avoid this sort of problem.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lolly p
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had booked only one night in advance, but at the moment we met the staff and saw the location we wanted to stay another night. The food in the resturant was very good and includes a view of Ella Rock. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the room was nice and clean. Forest paradise is located only a few minutes from the town.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Forest Paradise is a wonderful place set back from the main town (1 minute walk as small town) overlooking Ella, set in a forest location. Stunning back-drop offers peace and quiet and stunning views in the morning of mini Adams Peak and Ella rock.

Very friendly staff and lovely breakfast.

Thanks for a very enjoyable and comfortable stay, rooms were very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

A nice sized room with mosquito net, fan & shower. It's in a quiet area a short walk up the hill.  Breakfasts are really good here & fill you up before a nice long walk in the tea plantations. The staff & the owner were lovely too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UkZoe
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a lovely few days here. The hotel is located on the outskirts of a pine forest and is incredibly picturesque. The walk up to the place is a little steep, but you get lovely views of Ella rock once you're there (and it's not a long walk at all). The location is great, only 5 mins walk from the centre of Ella. The rooms are basic, but great value considering the cost. The staff were friendly and helpful and were always on hand. Overall it's been one of our favourite places that we've stayed in Sri Lanka!

• Stayed: July 2013