“Terrible, DO NOT GO!”
Review of Suwamadura

Suwamadura
Ranked #5 of 7 Spas & Wellness in Ella
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We went on rec of Lonely Planet and Guest House. The outside waiting area seemed nice enough when we booked.

My husband and I had a joint room, with a male and female 'masseuse'. At first there was a head massage, where we sat on a stool and they rubbed our heads and pulled our hair a bit. It was ok. Then we lay on the beds and they left for a few minutes before coming back of the body massage. Each side was different (eg about 5 times as long on one foot as the other), they laughed and giggled and chatted throughout, often seeming more interested in talking than massaging. She massaged my uncovered chest with the male in the room, the facial-that we didn't ask for-was a quick slap on of cleanser and exfoliant with a quick rough wipe off with a towel and cold water. Then a mask slapped on-which left us both yellow-they left for awhile came back and roughly wiped it off. Then told us finished and sat down. We kept lying there expecting they would leave us to change, they then told us again. After we were dressed we realized why they didn't leave-they asked us for a tip! As we were changing they folded up the towels and cover, obviously to us again!!!
While I had different expectations to an Australian treatment I wish I had stopped them and walked out. The more I think about it, the more disgusted and horrified I am!
I wish I had found these reviews before going.

2  Thank Sweet-ness1234

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is the first time I have been driven to comment on Trip Advisor, but I had to express my disgust at how ABYSMAL this massage was, from start to finish.

My husband and I paid 3500 rupees each for an hour treatment including a head massage, facial and body massage. When the male and female staff members entered the room, they were giggling and proceeded to chat for the next fifteen minutes while they gave us 'head massages.' Mine consisted of the woman alternating between scratching my head from underneath, then sliding her hands down the length of my hair, which hurt because she was essentially pulling it. When I asked her to stop, she wrenched my head around to the left so she could talk to me, cricking my neck.

The 'body massage' consisted of her rubbing my feet with less force than you would use on a baby massage, then pounding my legs with such force I gasped in surprise. The neck and shoulder massage was done while seated, which was far from satisfying. There was virtually no element which I would describe as 'massage,' it was all just an oily rub.

For the facial, she dotted creams on my face, then left the room for ten minutes to chat loudly with colleagues, before returning to wipe off the gunk with a towel. When it was over, she and the man who had worked on my husband chatted intimately again. At least they didn't have the temerity to ask for a tip.

I regret now - 15 minutes after leaving - that we actually paid for this 'service.' We should have been willing to have the argument about it. Having had Ayurvedic massages in India, I know they don't use as much force as in massages in Western or South-East Asian countries. But this was nothing like a proper Ayurvedic massage. It is a blight on the name.

The Lonely Planet should be ashamed of itself for recommending this place.

1  Thank kokoMelbourne
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I didn't read the tripadvisor reviews before going, instead relied on the top recommendation in lonely planet. The massage started with a "head massage". One had more of a really not comfy feeling. Instead of being a massage it was more like a weird head scratching for like 20 min. Next came the so called "body massage". Not sure the staff was ever trained at all in giving a massage. It was not at all relaxing. This was followed by a "steam bath" really? I was put on some sort of wooden coffin, couldn't really move my head and the temperature in the bath was way too hot. The salvation then was the facial (joking) I got applied some weird mud to my face which I had to keep on for like 20 min, before I had to wash it off myself. But the worst about the experience was the fact that the 2 people giving us the massage were constantly chatting (we had a massage as a couple). Also they were not attentive at all, when asked for a towel my boyfriend was handed 2 napkins. The tip of the iceberg was that they actually really proactively asked for a tip in the end. Really? For what?! Don't go. Safe your time and money.

1  Thank Traveltheworldandbac
Reviewed April 12, 2014

There was lovely atmospheric music piped in ... but all that was drowned out by the banging, scraping, dragging of construction. I mentioned to the staff that it was very noisy and distracting, but they didn't do anything about it. There were tinted glass windows, leading to a veranda outside the building, but construction workers were dragging materials past the window adding to further distraction. The head massage was nothing more than scalp scratching. The massage itself was nothing close to deep tissue massage - just rub around with oil. The table was really elevated, and the masseuse was short, so she couldn't get any pressure, even if she'd wanted. The face massage was nothing more than the application of a few different kinds of creams. When they do the head massage, they apply some oil to your head, and then you have to go out on the street with oily head. Then, just as other reviews said, the masseuse pressures you to give her a tip. I only read some TripAdvisor reviews after, and I did go to the real Suwamudra - a bit off the main road on the right hand side, on your way to Little Adams Peak ... yikes. My massage was 50 minutes, not 1 hour, but there was no need for more, so I didn't ask her for more.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

We went to the 'correct' place- it was awful. Nobody asked about our health or anything that might affect our massages. The massages were no better than a fierce, all-over (and I mean all-over!) scrub. I have recently had surgery on my foot- no account was taken of this, and it really hurt. We were then put in a 'steam bath'- more like a steam coffin. It was far too hot, and we were left for far too long- quite a nasty experience. Finally there was oil dripped on our foreheads- quite unpleasant, then we were shunted out the door, still covered in oily gloop. A horrible, and very expensive, experience- don't do it!