“worthy”
Review of Ella Tea Garden

Ella Tea Garden
Ranked #122 of 180 Ella B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2013

we have covered a lot road to find this paceful and beautiful place.
when we were climbing the road, i spotted this lovely house but dared not to go. based on experience, this kind of hotel with great location and beautiful construction would asks beyond what we can afford. so we went on looking around. it happened one hotel was closed and that little hotel offers the position that the serviceman of Tea Garden Holiday Inn can say hello to us.
so we were moved by the house and the not-so-expensive price.
this can be considered as the best view hotel during our trip in Sri Lanka.
recommended to everyone!
food is great and the dining room is fantastic.
the owner of Tea Garden Holiday Inn loves animals so much that they set a rice platform for birds and squirrels!

Room Tip: upper floor is better, and there are also two room seperate from the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The view was quite nice and the dinning area is very beautiful, I'm gonna upload some pictures.

I called one day before and made a reservation. The manager said yes yes we have rooms for you and please come please come and he even take down my name. But the next day when I showed up, nobody knows that I made a reservation. Apparently I called the son of the owner who was not really in charge of booking... But luckily the staff was quite warm and helped me settled in a smaller room with no window on the corner as it was getting really late, they also offered me discount because of they failed to keep the booking record.

I spent one night there, but would not mind staying for a couple of nights more if I were having a more decent room with a view.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with good view!! Cuz it's gonna be so worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The view is amazing but the rooms are quite basic. The location is good. The staff is nice but were not very fair on the prices, I had negotiated the price down as the hotel was empty and they managed to bring the bill up to the initial price by adding unexpected taxes..

Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Probably was nice when originally built but now needs totally renovating. Bathroom needed a thorough deep clean to say the least, and the bedroom windows didn't even close properly. Mosquito net had a couple of cigarette burn holes in it too. No fan, but luckily the weather wasn't too hot. The best I can see is that the staff were friendly and helpful, but the place obviously isn't managed properly. The hotel is up a very long flight of steps so is not easily accessible for everyone. No tv or safe in room and the wi-fi only works a few feet away from the router in the dining area. Large balcony outside our room with seating area and fantastic view (when it's not raining), but really the view doesn't offset all the other negatives.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great position but is very tierd. Our shower was pathetic and loo had problems. The staff are friendly enough snd the breakfast was ok. However I'm sure there are better places to stay in Ella. PS rice and curry next door at Rawanna Resort is a must.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just a short walk from the main street in Ella, and up a long flight of steps (not a lot of fun after a long journey and with a heavy backpack!). The rooms are ok for the price, bathroom a bit dark and grotty. The main advantage this guesthouse has is the large balconies with great views, where you can relax with a drink. The breakfast was fine, but I didn't eat here in the evening as the restaurant was rather lacking in atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was the only disappointing hotel I stayed in, in Sri Lanka. When we booked everything else was gone, as Ella's hotels are small and quickly fill up. Book early if you want something nice. Staff were average, views were truly stunning, but not enough to make up for our room. We had a family room above the kitchen, it was a disaster. The room would have been okay, but ... The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned since installation, and was a graveyard for dead mosquitoes (as well as lots of live relatives). There wasn't even a bar of soap to wash your hands or anywhere to even hang a towel. We didn't shower for our luckily short two night stay.The room had an opening in the roof to the outside, which meant mosquitoes came in all night, and we were only provided with one net for 2 beds. The second night after the staff couldn't come up with a solution, I just pushed the beds together under the one net, which worked out ok. But the first my husband was the hero, I slept with our son under the net, and my husband got bitten all night long. Where ever you book in Ella make sure there are mosquito nets, they are essential. We booked on booking.com which was a mistake as I think there price was 2-3 times what we should have paid if our tour company had organised it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family