“Serenity. ideal view”
Review of Chill Ville Hotel

Chill Ville Hotel
Ranked #16 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Ella
Reviewed July 7, 2011

the best place i stayed in Sri Lanka! the room was awesome. the view was magnificent and the staff were so friendly. the breakfast as well was made fresh to order and was perfect. no complaints

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed 2 night sand we really enjoyed our stay there. the staff is friendy and the manager is so helpful: all the advices he gave us were very useful. the bungalows are quiet, clean et the view is awesome. We had our dinners and our breakfast there, and the food was excellent. So its a good spot to stop by.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We had a very good time at this place, in a beautiful villa with amazing view. We spoke a lot about Sri Lanka with the staff. Our waiter Sahmeera was very nice. We have been invited in the kitchen to see and learn about sri lanka food, it was very interesting, and now we cook the dishes (dhal curry, moju, bitter got salad and coconut sambles) in Paris ! Our friends are impressed !
View Point Villa is the "place to be" near Ella.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We wanted to stay here after reading about it in a guidebook. Once in Sri Lanka, we called and rearranged our entire trip to accomodate their schedule, only to be told 30 minutes later that they made an error on dates. We again rearranged our trip. When we showed up on the agreed upon dates, we were told that they had no room for us and made up an ever-changing story for why we didn't have a room (all lies/excuses). We spoke with another guest who said he saw it happen to two other couples earlier in the day. We were left in Ella (in high season) with no where to stay. We called the manager who took our initial call, said he would call us right back, and then refused to answer any of our subsequent calls.

Don't stay here. There are much better places in Ella, as we luckily found out.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank btsofohio
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The most beautiful place we have stayed in sri lanka. In front of your eyes while you are in bed you can see, through amazing huge windows, the best possible view . The rooms are huge and the balcony is breath taking.

The service was more then perfect. The staff went out of their way just to make sure we are happy, we got a mobile phone to use free of charge, a laptop to use a few hours a day. They made sure we won#t do anything but rest and enjoy the room and the view. The rooms has complete privacy , all you see and hear is just the jungle.

The place is just a short drive from the center of ella and definatly worth the drive. The place offers a 3 wheeler to take you to ella when ever you need.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Just spent one night here on my way through the hill country. The main highlights of this place: the setting is wonderfully tranquil, and the views are spectacular.

Bottom line: I would definitely recommend this place, though it's not perfect.

Before going, I read the other tripadvisor reviews about poor service. I don't know where they came from. I interacted with several people at View Point, and all were extremely friendly, genuine, and helpful -- like nearly everyone I met in Sri Lanka. The only weird thing was they asked me to write a tripadvisor review before I left -- it's not like they really pressured me, and I could have refused, but it still felt awkward. Anyway, I wrote a rushed review but later retracted it to write this one, which I feel more accurately reflects my experience. My advice to the owners: don't ask guests to write reviews while there. Tell them you'd really appreciate a review when the guest gets home.

Other aspects were good, but felt a bit awkward at times. For example, the food was delicious, but it was sort of weird that it was served to your room, where you ate outside surrounded by tons of bugs.

The rooms were attempting to be modern (and indeed, I appreciated the warm shower after a couple nights in places with much worse bathrooms), but the modernness felt out of place. There's this standalone "spa shower" in the middle of a giant bathroom without anything else in it. Just seemed a little weird, imbalanced -- maybe this is just an aesthetic thing. And while the shower did have hot water -- the most important thing by far -- all the other advanced features (extra heads, etc) didn't work. Not a big deal. I guess overall I had a sense that the place was trying really hard -- which I appreciated -- but not getting things quite right. It was having an identity crisis between a rustic tranquil place and a modern luxury retreat.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank nick_ct_10
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in Viewpoint Villa Ella and enjoyed it a lot. You have a lot of privacy as you have breakfast and dinner at your own villa on your own veranda and great personal attention. We stayed here with our three children who also enjoyed themselves immensely. It is a peaceful and quiet environment with great views. A good place for walks and relaxing. We stayed in vlla nr 6. At night the stray dogs think the veranda is their property and claim the chairs and table with some howling and barking during the night. Just a small problem that can easily be solved. We loved it here!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family