“Perfect place to stay”

The Mountain Heavens
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Ella
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is located high up overlooking the surrounding valley and mountains. The view cannot get any better than this. The hotel has been built very cleverly on the mountain side so that all rooms have this magnificent view also through the windows and from the balcony.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, they even organised us a last-minute hiking trip to the Ella Rock. Since it was so late in the day, we gathered all our strength to do the trip with 2,5h instead of the usual 4-5h. And It was very exhausting at this pace, but well worth it, as the views along the route are amazing - suggestion, start the trek already earlier in the day to not have to worry about staying out after sunset. Be ready for a good work out and take plenty of water.
The rooms at the hotel are brand new and very modern. I loved the freshness and space we had both inside the room and out on the balcony.
The dinner is provided on the spot and is tasty, however you will need to pre-order everything already during the day.
All in all a great place to stay when visiting Ella.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank _xKeu_

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wow!!! This place is amazing. I did not want to leave my room as the view where out of this world and the room was incredible. Luxury!!! The service was great, staff really friendly and food good. Definitely worth a stay if you want to splash out a bit. But given the view and the rooms, I say it's actually worth it

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank KRI001
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel has the dream view! Just came back from my trip (August 2013) and found this hotel to be impeccably clean, rooms spacious, and very friendly staff. Choice of food is not the widest range but enough to make me happy. From your room, you get the view of the Ella Gale (the mountain), and the winding road. I had a room on the upper floor so not sure what the view is like in lower floor rooms. The upper deck room (#9) was quite pricey!

One drawback is having to reach the hotel by tuktuk on a steep road (possibly quite dangerous during the rainy season). The other drawback is that the train tracks are right behind the hotel, so if you are a light sleeper, you might be annoyed.

Room Tip: Room # 9 is probably one of the best!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sherine I
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The first time I came to Mountain Heavens was in February 2013. My boyfriend and I arrived without a reservation and were really lucky to get the last but also the best room, room No. 7.
We stayed for two days and loved it! The view from Mountain Heavens is amazing, and so are the big balconies.

Second time was in May 2013. Nothing was planned, but suddenly I was there again, this time on my own working on my website about Sri Lanka.

Being there alone, the staff took me in as a family member. The receptionist Prasanna, the owner Mr. Ravi, and the lovely construction worker Karu, took me out on daily walks, to the top of Ella Rocks, to Ravana Caves, to Ravana Ella Falls, and other wonderful viewpoints in the area.

We went to visit a small temple nearby to celebrate the birth of the Buddha, and when they found out it was my birthday, they bought me a beautiful cake and celebrated my day in the restaurant. Since I had to work online while I was there, the owner upgraded the poor wifi to a much better connection. I loved everything there and ended up staying for 3 weeks.

I am so grateful to have had this experience, and hope to have the opportunity to come back some time and see the new rooms which they were renovating while I was there.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Mountainheavens, Owner at The Mountain Heavens, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Trine,

Many tks for the lovely comment about your true experience in Ella. We miss you a lot as you became a member of the Mountain Heavens family within a very short time. Everyone still remembers you and talk about your good qualities. I am sure you will miss not only the Mountain Heavens but also your other friends such as monkeys, squirrels, birds etc.

We finished our upgrading as planned in time and I am sure you will love the new rooms and its interior. All the rooms have excellent views now and I must thank you for the valuable ideas that you gave us to make the rooms more elegant.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you once again to your second home.

Best

Ravi

Reviewed August 25, 2013

The property has been very recently renovated and builds on a great location and great view - very relaxing. The property is very clean and very well maintained, the staff is really excellent and very helpful.

The room is comfortable and also features great views. The location of the hotel is quite good and up a very steep and poorly maintained road. If you know your way, it's a completely doable walk from the train station. Once you know your way, it's easiest to walk along the train tracks back into town which cuts off quite a lot of time.

We only stayed one night but did a small walk in the morning of our departure to mini Adam's Peak - good to walk off some calories. The trip to Ella was really to experience the train journey from Kandy but otherwise there isn't a ton of stuff to do in Ella.

Only critical feedback for management is that so much effort has been done to renovate the property and to maintain it but then these really ugly sofas are put into the rooms and these cheap $1 plastic rubbish bins just cheapen the efforts. Beds are great but sofas look like they're from the second hand shop.

Aside from that comment, the hotel is great and I'd definitely stay again. Thank you to the great staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BusyFlyingAround
Mountainheavens, Manager at The Mountain Heavens, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Sir,
Many tks for the wonderful comment about the hotel and glad to hear that you had a nice time in Ella.
We reopened the hotel only on the 2nd of August after the fully upgrading. Our supplier got little delayed and that's why we had to use the old sofas until the new furniture arrives.

Now the rooms are equipped with elegant sofas and furniture. No plastics bins as well as they are replaced with the cane baskets by keeping with environmental friendly standards as a nature resort.
Look forward to welcoming you to beautiful Ella once again.

TMH

Management

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We spent one night in a deluxe room, very large, elegant and well-furnished . The bathroom with hot water was modern and clean.
The view from the big windows and the balcony was simply fantastic.
The staff was gentle and the food, both dinner and breakfast, very good.
The only thing we did not like is the road to reach the hotel, too narrow and steep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Giovanni_Benassi
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Unfortunately we only stayed in this hotel for one night. We had one of the rooms at the bottom of the stairs. It had very recently been refurbished, which was very nice. The whole room was build around the view. Even while taking a nice warm shower you're able to enjoy the view.

Personnel is very kind and helpful. Dinner was pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple