“Surprisingly fun and convenient find in Dumaguete”
Review of Harolds Mansion

Harolds Mansion
Ranked #14 of 53 Dumaguete City B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Surprisingly fun and convenient find in Dumaguete”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't planning to stay here but the dive shop next door had no tours booked and Harold's dive shop did. Got a single room with private bath and fan for only P400. The rooftop deck is spacious and fun and has a good sense of community. The single bed sags a bit but there is warm water in the shower and at this price I can't complain!

Restaurant on roofdeck serves great food but it can take an hour to be served, especially when there is more than one order. Front desk staff run the gamut from being super warm and helpful to cool and curt, but hey... That's life. All in all a great find.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Alex R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This place is really nice to stay. Ok the rooms aren't the most fancy, but they are clean and when we got a problem with our room (water leaking from the ceiling) we were transfered to an other room without any problem. The best thing about this place is the great (and cheap!) rooftop bar /restaurant! A really good place to spend your afternoon or evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thibaut T
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at Harold's for 2 nights. It was one of those impromptu weekend trips where we didn't make any prior reservations, we just booked the room when we got there. We did try to email them a few times, but they didn't seem to be too eager to reply. Thankfully, there was still a room available when we got there.
The place had a very basic, "you get what you pay for" vibe. Personally, I the place felt more like an old pension house than a hostel. For PHP 800 we got a small, private, air-conditioned room with an en suite bathroom. The room showed signs of wear and tear and could use a fresh coat of paint. There was a balcony that couldn't be used because the door was jammed. We saw (and killed) a cockroach. The bathroom tiles were cracked and the sink was clogged. There is no elevator. Again, you get what you pay for.
It wasn't too bad though. The water heater (for the shower) was functional. The staff were friendly enough. The diving shop was decent and one of the cheapest in the city. Free breakfast consisted of sticky rice (puto), coffee or hot chocolate, and bread that you could toast. If that doesn't do it for you, you can order one of their more filling breakfast sets worth PHP 50.
Yes, the place was a bit disappointing, but I guess I should have been more realistic. I should not have expected the place to be any more than it was or that it promised to be. Let's just say that it was a decent enough place to spend the night. It's not like you're going to spend the entire day in your room anyway.

• Stayed July 2013
Quezon City
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Nice rooftop patio with comfortable seats and nice music.
Having said that, the room was dirty and smelly. The hallway smelled like a public toilet. Now I can live with that in backpackers hostel. However, the free "Filipino breakfast" was a disgrace: sticky rice with some sort of chocolate sauce (???) and old bread. For the room rates they have it is just insulting. If there's one thing a backpacker needs, it's a good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Dumaguete City hotels

Dumaguete City, Philippines
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I cannot say enough about how wonderful my stay at Harold's Hostel was! Sometimes as a weary traveller, the smallest conveniences can just make your day and Harold and his staff have made it their mission to provide their guests with an exemplary hostel experience! From the free hot and cold water, the complimentary breakfast, tea and coffee provided all day, as well as baggage service, this place knows how to make a traveller's day! I was fortunate to meet Harold himself who kept me company as I ate my breakfast and gladly provided travel tips and information. To top it all off, he personally drove my friend and I to a clinic so that he could see a doctor as she had been quite sick for the past three days. Harold's encompasses the Philipino hospitality that these lovely people are known for and I am do grateful to have stayed; I've even rearranged my travel plans so that I can come back to Dumaguete and stay for 3 more nights!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank MelonArugula
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 16, 2013

A backpacker hostel with no WIFI - to me - is almost sacrilegious so I have to deduct a point for that. When I asked about this, the people behind the counter just say they can't do anything about resetting the router. (Uhmm, isn't resetting just mere on/off the switch? or am I missing something else).

Aside from that, everything is pretty standard with some plus like a rack to hang your clothes, ample power outlets (1 for each person in the room yey!) and cable TV (whoa! LOL :))

Airconditioner is working fine though the bed really sinks when you sleep on it.

The bathroom is going to be a challenge since you really have to squeeze yourself into the opening of the door.

Free breakfast thrown in - not good but better than nothing. Rooftop looks cool and the social activities like free cookouts sounds must-go (though no chance for us since we came in the wrong days).

Walking distance to Siliman University and Holy Spirit where there are some nice cafes and restaurants near Holy Spirit area. Near the Port area too (i.e. Rizal Blvd).

TIP: Place the clothes rack near the behind of the airconditioner as the latter works like a heater. Dries clothes fast :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cathy B
Hollister, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The best things about Harold's is the building itself and the trips. The place is 4 or 5 stories tall with a huge range of rooms. Mine was very comfortable and even had a balcony. Inexpensive, too. The roof is huge patio area with couches, pool table, food, and drinks. Very nice. I took the Apo island trip as a snorkeler (the others were divers) and had the most incredible time. The boat was big and beautiful, coffee, drinks, and snacks were provided, the boat crew were friendly, and the diving/snorkeling locations impressive. I swam with giant turtles. It was probably one of the best days of my whole trip to the Philippines.
There is one reason this place gets 4 stars instead of 5; the staff. I'd say most (2/3) of the staff are just normal people doing their job, but every 3rd employee I ran into there went out of their way to be rude to me. This included eye-rolling, reluctant answering of questions, snickering, impatience, with-holding information (like what is for breakfast), laughing at me, and just general disrespect. It's sort of like there are a bunch of 16 year old girls with 16-year-old-girl attitude problems. (maybe they were 16?) They did a good job of making me feel really bad about asking for anything and sorry for myself for even existing. I watched these same girls do the same to other guests and really upsetting people. I don't know why Harold employs these people who clearly do not like tourists.
With that said, I just kept away from those employees as much as possible (they were usually working on the roof-patio and one at the front desk) and I asked other tourists my questions instead.

Room Tip: The dorm can be a little wild with so many travelers so you might consider getting your own room. M...