“Great hostel, not happy with snorkeling package”
Review of Harolds Mansion

Harolds Mansion
Ranked #15 of 55 Dumaguete City B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Harold's is a great hostel, with a lot of activities for guests. Too bad I wasn't able to participate in any of them. I got the snorkeling package (not too sure about the price, between P850-P1,000) and we went with some divers to Apo Island. We waited at least an hour before the boat went to shore and we didn't have anyone to guide us in the island. We got a guide for P300 at the registration for two people. He was very helpful. After we got on the boat, they didn't even tell us we can still snorkel, so we already gave back our life vests to the registration booth at the island. We just slept for almost two hours at the boat.

I hope they told us we just PAYING FOR THE BOAT, FLIPPERS AND SNORKELING GEAR. We had to depend on what the divers say. We were just able to snorkel for less than 3 hours. Not worth it. :(

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Basic, but comfy, clean, really fair-priced rooms and dorms with fan or A/C. Friendly staff with good enough english.
Wednesday: roof top BBQ; Friday: oysternight; Sunday: fun diving and snorkeling.
All in all the owner, staff, friends and guests get along really really well. And it is a place where a lot of people overtsay their 2-3 day/night stay by a week or even a month. It's also a place where people go back to as it's a good spot to use as "home-base" while travelling the island and/or surrounding islands.

Room Tip: As it's occupancy rate is very high in general, call ahead or send an e-mail.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
HaroldsMansion_Mgmt, Manager at Harolds Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2011

Dear Beachbum,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our guests become a part of the Harolds Mansion family. We appreciate the support and hope that we will welcome you back soon.

Cheers!

Reviewed July 21, 2011

The staff at Harold's will make you feel like part of their family from the first day. Their level of hospitality is uniquely warm, setting this spot well above the standards of any other hostels I have stayed in the Philippines. The weekly activities and great value diving are reasons to extend your stay here. You will make great friends, have a safe, clean room, enjoy free coffee and toast every day, and unlimited use of wifi anywhere in the hostel. My trip in the Philippines was certainly enhanced by the good fortune of discovering Harold's Mansion. This place adds to the charm of Dumaguete, leaving one anxious to return.

Room Tip: If you dont want to stay in a dorm, 204 and 304 are excellent fan rooms

Dear darylstar,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are a happy bunch at Harolds Mansion and try to extend our love to our guests. Yes, our guests are like our family and we love to pamper/spoil them with what we can.

Thank your for being a part of us and I hope that we will see you soon. Cheers!

Reviewed July 7, 2011

Staff - Amazing
Rooms - Pretty Good, Clean
Tours/Diving - Fantastic
Grill/Oyster Nights - Brilliant Laugh

Quite simply there's nowhere else you should stay.

It's THE place in Dumaguete.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear TravelJunkieMonkey,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a wonderful review for us. We also enjoyed your company as much as you enjoyed ours. We hope to see you back soon. Cheers!

Reviewed June 16, 2011

Harolds Mansion is a popular Backpacker destination in the Dumaguette region. It's fairly cheap; we paid 800 pesos (around $20) for an air conditioned room with free breakfast and free high speed WiFi.
The room was ok, I have travelled enough to know what you can expect for that price, and it was good value, except for the breakfast. The factory quality white bread toast with jam is a very poor breakfast in my eyes. Some fruit would have been nice, it was available but at extra cost.
There is a local eatery just outside the hotel which serves Filipino food, it's cheap and clean, don't be afraid to get lunch or dinner there.
As in so many places in this region, the staff seemed to not have a clue. A bad mix of poor training, low motivation, and poor language skills - I understand one might think of it as incompetence, but remember that this is Filipines and these people don't rationalize every step down to the smallest detail the way most Westeners do. So just go with it, and prepare yourself for the level of service and accommodation you are paying for.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Purpuse for visit Dumaguete and Harolds Mansion were diving. It's a cosy and cheap place to live when you traveling around the philippins. You get a very good service there and it's a great place for diving.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I went to the Philippines on a whim not knowing a lot about it, was advised the Visayas and found Harold's on the internet - it was the best decision I'd ever made!

I stayed at Harold's on and off over a month using it as my base, made some of the most wonderful friends and was incredibly sad to leave. Harold and staff made me very welcome straight away even taking me to the beach when I'd just arrived! I started off in a dorm and then progressed to have my own room on the roof which I was pleased was kept for me as he was fully booked! As a 25 year old solo traveller one must always take precautions and Harold really looked after me on nights out, during the day and was a point of contact whilst I was off seeing other places. I loved his mansion, particularly the breakfasts and bbqs, everything was very clean, towels and linen provided, the staff were always helpful and remembered me on each return which was very nice! It was a great social spot and perfect location. Yes the street out front can be noisy however it is a busy town and is in a prime location for transport. Being on the roof for the majority of my stay I was never disturbed by any noise during the day or night.

Harolds was brilliant, I would highly recommend it and I know many many others who feel the same. I will return one day soon and Harolds will be top of my list!

Room Tip: The roof is a nice secluded spot!
Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo