“awesome hotel”
Review of Hotel Essencia

Hotel Essencia
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Hotel Essencia is a nice hotel where the staff is very accommodating and always smiling. The room we stayed at is big enough for a family with 3 kids but with a fair price. The price is more than commensurate to the space we got. Its also clean and quiet, that you can have the most needed respite after touring the nearby islands and Dumaguete itself.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Essencia

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My wife and I spent the past weekend at the Hotel Essentia to escape the heat and humidity of Dumaguete's summer. We live here and are slowly adding to our collection of experiences of the hotels in our own city.

The Hotel Essentia is 'almost' there. The good things said about it already are affirmed. I will try NOT to be nit picky in my comments.

We hosted our grand daughter to a sleep over. She was disappointed that there was no pool but otherwise enjoyed our Deluxe King room. The AIRCON was icy, which made her duvet more appreciated during the night. In room Wi Fi, a multi channel TV, and a small refrigerator were all provided. They worked well.

We felt that our room's price represented good value for money. The Senior Citizens' discount was honoured in full. Breakfast in several choices was included.

Our room was on the 4th floor at the front of the building and faced the street. The comments of others on room choice will minimize exposure to street noise. There was included a full selection of consumable toiletries, a shaving mirror, hair dryer, CR telephone, kettle and the usual expected fittings in the bath.

The bathroom was indeed a delight and the peek-in window we found to be neither erotic , revealing nor a distraction. The non- slip ceramic surface and the panic bar in the shower stall were appreciated, as was the built up toilet seating. I was surprised to note that the installation of hot water at the sink had somehow escaped the attention of the room's designers.

The front desk was undermanned when we arrived. The un-necessary bureaucracy of breakfast ordering is perpetuated at the Essencia. The resulting low quality meal could easily be avoided for better available nearby.

This hotel does not understand a key card is NOT a key but rather a consumable bit of plastic which is loaded with room access until paid departure time. At scheduled check out time, I left the cards on the desk, closed the door behind me and left, having earlier confirmed that nothing more was owing on our account. I resent the 'need' to attend the front desk until housekeeping confirms that I have not stolen the toilet paper and avoid doing so when I can. My wife was amused when the hotel later called her to inquire when we were checking out.

OK, I'll pick one NIT. There was no battery in the wall clock in our room. Why? The various remote controls all had functioning batteries - but not the clock.

In summary, the Hotel Essencia is an excellent addition to Dumaguete's inventory of accommodations. I recommend it enthusiastically to visitors to our City of Gentle people!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank davfitz
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The Essentia is probably the best hotel in Dumaguete after Coco Grande, and even better location than Coco Grande BUT the hardest beds I have ever experienced anywhere, ever. And I've lived in Asia for 30 years, where hardish beds are the norm. Otherwise, fine, reliable wi-fi, attentive and friendly staff, just around the corner for some good food, etc

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms would be quietest, especially those away from the main drag. All rooms non smoki...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank John L
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Airport transfer was provided even when our original day of arrival was late due to weather disruption.
Contacted the hotel and rescheduled the pick up and check in time. Every thing was arranged upon arrival.
Staff were all very accommodating and helpful especially the one named Arnold.
My family had massage at the hotel's SPA and were all happy with the service.
Location was great.
Will stay there again.

Room Tip: We requested for a room away from the busy street and we got it. Since we had the family room and ne...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Yvonne G
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I was disappointed when I first stayed here more than a year ago when it first opened so I chose to stay in another hotel on my numerous trips to Dumaguete City.

This year, I gave it another try and was pleasantly surprised with their improved service. They have big, well-kept rooms with comfy beds and fast wifi internet service.

There used to be a restaurant at the ground floor that was operated by a different company but it closed down recently. Now, they serve fast food for breakfast at the 2nd floor.

Their friendly staff and our company's corporate discount make this hotel a very good choice for me. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good place to stay in Dumaguete City.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Booked a standard room type for 1200. The first time i saw the hotel was morning time and it wasnt impressive. I initially thought of regretting booking there as it seems the surroundings were dimly lighted. But after we came back from the tour later the day, i felt like we checked in at a different hotel. At night, all their lights are opened which make the hotel elegant enough to be noticed by passersby. The first time we opened the door of our room, it was like it hasnt been used for some time. You know the smell of your clothes kept in a closet for a long time?, that's how it smelled. After opening the aircon, the tv and the lights it seem the room came back to life. The room has an lcd tv, a ref with drinks (not free though?, a table, phone, thermos, slippers, closet and hangers. In case you bring noodles, you can prepare it in your room. Inside the comfort room contains hair blower, shampoo, toothbrush, laundry basket, soap and towels. I like the interior of their comfort room. It has the window blinds you can pull up that when you pulled it open, you will be able to see the bed from the room. The not so good thing is it seems the blind was not maintained as I noticed some stain on it. The towels as well were not very white. Anyway, i still like the room. By just improving those things, it can make the room even better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Essencia 2 times and both times it has been disappointing.
The staff is not unpolite, nor are they very delighted.
The rooms are ok, good TV, Filipino internet (it only works once in a while), civil gas masks?! (china made​​), our first room had a minibar, our last (just as expensive) had none. Only the bed is directly horrible. It is hard as stone. Unfortunately the hotel is poorly designed, even small sounds in the long hallway are disturbing.
Dumaguete City is really in need of a good hotel, but in the absence of better, I will recommend Hotel Essencia!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room away from the noisy road!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple